my new Conure yellow side

Fredy

Jan 30, 2021
Hi! I wonder if any body can help or answer my question. I am a new owner
of a conure yellow side, his name is Fredy he is 10 years old. I bring him home 2 days ago . I adopt an older Conure becose of their life spend of 30 years, cause I am a senior. Fredy seem to adapt very well here except he just like men any men not only my husband but is friend too. I tried anything to get closer to him by giving him is favorite treat but he never let me come close. He Still fly so he just fly away from me, if I try to catch him in is cage he just become wild and end up going out of his cage. I put him in a room and stay away by putting food near me nothing... He stay away with no interaction with me. Can anyone tell me my hope to change this attitude? Or it is hopeless... Thank you!!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
So the key is to build trust with the parrot. They have no reason to trust humans. In every thing you do from now on, ask first - will this build trust or break trust with your parrot. No more grabbing in the cage or grabbing outside the cage - that is trust busting. What you want to do is figure out his favorite treat, and now only you provide it. And every time you pass his cage, offer it to him, thru the bars at first. and gradually thru the open door, and finally with him on your hand. THis whole process may take months - parrots change very slowly sometimes ( most times)... Always go at the parrots pace and not the pace of your expectations.

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Albie - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure - Hatch date 14 Dec 2019 - Gotcha date - 4 March 2020
Slow down, he's only been with you 2/3 days. That's nothing in parrot time.

Look at things from Fredys point of veiw. He has just lost everything he knew to be safe so you need to show him your safe too. Any thing food wise that fredy would kill for needs to be removed from his normal diet and only you give it to him, not your hubby, not friends, only you. Reward him for any positive interactions with you. They are smart and can be won over by their stomachs.he will learn the very best treats come from you.

What I find works with Albie (mines a green cheek too) is personal time with just me an him doing what ever, be it training or playing or just hanging out singing or me talking and reading to him as hubby is albie's favorite person. Hubby has never needed to work with albie yet I really need to work at maintain my and albie's relationship because he would definitely be hubby's bird otherwise, sometimes it the way it is. Making bird safe plates of food to share is another option, flocks eat meals together, so even if he's on his cage you can share your food by poling it through to his dinner bowls. They love sharing (stealing) off the plate. It's a way to bind with him.

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
.... Making bird safe plates of food to share is another option, flocks eat meals together, so even if he's on his cage you can share your food by poling it through to his dinner bowls. They love sharing (stealing) off the plate. It's a way to bind with him.

All the advice given so far has been great. Just to add that beyond the "sharing" aspect, simply sitting & eating (your own food) in his presence at a time when he might comfortably be eating, is a good idea too. IF your food is birdsafe & shareable, so much he better!

IF he doesn't like you yet, even if the Reason is because he prefers males, for now one of your goals is to convince him you are not a predator. Flocks eat together, so eating in front of him while he is eating tells him, you're a flockmate.

Also sit in his presence, as far away as needs-be for him to stay relaxed, and read aloud to him.

Regarding relaxation: Birds when they are relaxed will Fluff up. They are opposite of mammals. When they go all-SMOOTH, they are nervous and are keeping their feathers Ready For Flight. (They will also fluff up if they are COLD - or if they feel unwell.) So you want to hang out near the bird, at a distance JUST BEFORE he goes All-Smooth (tense & nervous). Then after a while - a few days OR weeks or however long it takes - push that distance a little closer.

And with all that -- all the other advice is great. Observe him, figure out his favorite foods, and become a treat dispenser.

In his presence, always speak Calmly and Happily. Use your "Little Birdy I Love You" voice. Avoid Sudden Loud Noises or Sudden Quick Movements. OR if you Are gonna make loud noises (maybe you're gonna vaccuum, etc.), then Warn him first.

Ira7

Banned
Banned
Feb 9, 2020
Coral Springs, FL
Parrots
YNA
You kind of scare me when you say you “try to catch him.”

That can mean a lot of things, and some of those things are very bad and will destroy his trust in you.

Most Reactions