swadlincote nr derby ,england
Parrots
dads two african greys

my baby green quacker
got my 17 week old baby quacker yesterday

was told let it settle for few hours and get him out

hes hand reared and came out of aviary at 13 weeks

was told there easy to tame and talk fairly quickly

can i have some tips etc on how to get him tame and come to me and not run to back of his cage,and later tricks like going on his back
also how would i be able to start learning him to talk and listen to me so he will say the things i want him to say like his name

we got 2 greys so will he learn things from them
is there any good books to help
also i asked the shop to do its wings but it can still fly
any help info or advice would be very appreciated as this is my first bird:green2::green2::green2::green2::green2::green2::green2:

cnyguy

Apr 23, 2010
Syracuse, NY
Parrots
Quaker parrot, Ralph
Welcome to you, your Greys and your new Quaker!

A little time and patience are needed with a young Quaker; it takes a while for them to settle into a new home and get comfortable. In the beginning, it helps a lot to just sit by the parrot's cage and talk quietly to him/her (you can read and sing to your Quaker too). That helps the parrot get used to being around you, and accustomed to the sound of your voice.

On average, Quakers start talking at about 5 months old-- some begin earlier, some later, and some never learn to talk at all, and may imitate certain sounds instead-- or may speak only in their native language. Talking to them a lot is a good idea-- using the same words and phrases over and over, and at the appropriate times, helps to encourage parrots to talk back.

A good book about Quakers is Guide to the Quaker Parrot by Mattie Sue Athan; she wrote several other excellent parrot books too.

Good luck to you and your Quaker! :)

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
Quincy - Blue Throated Macaw, Skittles and Dusty - Rose Breasted Too's,
Joey - Yellow Crown Amazon, Ashley - CAG
I agree with the above advice, good luck with the new fid :)

fredric14

Nov 3, 2010
Parrots
Quaker - Keeta
Welcome! I can tell you that they settle fairly quickly. Well, mine did anyways. I brought home a 8 week old quaker a couple weeks ago and after a couple of days, she got curious and easily decided to come out of her cage and now, shes suuch an attention grabber. Once she hears the door open, she comes right to my hand and literally runs out of the cage and jumps on my shoulder and snuggles my neck. Hope you will have to same with yours! Good luck!

OP
T

trist077

Nov 13, 2010
swadlincote nr derby ,england
Parrots
dads two african greys

my baby green quacker
myne comes to me ou of its cage when he wants too

most of the time i have to grab him and force his feet on my hand

he does snuggle up inn my jumper after it settles down but every so often he will fly away even though his wings have been cut

hes allways in and out of his cosy happec thing he loves it:rainbow1::orange:

Most Reactions