LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Oh no, @fixit7! I'm so very sorry to hear your parakeet has escaped! He is likely frightened and disoriented so, although he may be close by, it's hard to say if he will make his own way back. You can list a lost bird on the website linked below, and also check it so see if your bird has been found by someone else ...

The following resources may assist you in your search as well ...

If you haven't already done so, alert local Facebook community groups, pet shops and all local veterinary clinics, not just avian ones. Escaped birds that are caught are often handed in there, and from there may be passed on to local animal control or equivalent. I once successfully retrieved an escaped Indian Ringneck years ago by making up old-fashioned paper flyers and popping them in mail boxes in my area too - the more sets of eyes you can get to help you the better!

I hope your little one can be found and returned safely to you very soon 🙏

Last edited:

ETinSC

Jul 29, 2021
SC
I lost my little Budgie on August 11th. I had my young grandkids with me that day and he flew out the door in a flash. I can't believe it. I've put signs up all over the place and have put ads in various lost bird sites. So far nothing. I've had a few calls, but none of them ended up being my little Budgie. I'm heart broken. It happened so fast. My Budgie was always close to his cage, he rarely ever left that area, but in a flash, he was gone. I was always so careful. In the meanwhile, I got a call from someone who had found another bird and they asked me take him (since they didn't know what to do), so now, while I'm still looking for my own bird, I'm also trying to find the owners of another lost bird.

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
It breaks my heart when I hear about a bird that escaped :( I'm so sorry for both of you.

LeeC

Jun 5, 2019
Media
Harrisburg, PA
Parrots
Timneh: Grady;
Senegal: Charlie;
Sun Conure: Peaches (deceased)
Senegal: Georgia
Peach-fronted Conure: Milton (foster)
Brown-throated Conure: Pumpkin (foster)
Senegal: Fletcher
Senegal: Ivy
I always feel for the parrot/parrotlet/parakeet, and the person, in cases of separation. Having heard numerous stories of such "escapes" before I got my first parrot, I was thinking of prevention ideas from day one. It took me a couple of months to come up with a solution. I bought "bird netting", which is used to cover fruit crops to keep wild birds from eating the fruit, and I hung it in my foyer entrance. It is also known as garden netting or pool netting. It is definitely not as good as a true, sturdy double safety door, but, it does keep a bird from flying straight through that doorway.

I hung it in such a way that I can never forget to close it, but I can always slide through it hands-free, for when I come home with groceries for example. I just hung two sections that overlap about a foot.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I always feel for the parrot/parrotlet/parakeet, and the person, in cases of separation. Having heard numerous stories of such "escapes" before I got my first parrot, I was thinking of prevention ideas from day one. It took me a couple of months to come up with a solution. I bought "bird netting", which is used to cover fruit crops to keep wild birds from eating the fruit, and I hung it in my foyer entrance. It is also known as garden netting or pool netting. It is definitely not as good as a true, sturdy double safety door, but, it does keep a bird from flying straight through that doorway.

I hung it in such a way that I can never forget to close it, but I can always slide through it hands-free, for when I come home with groceries for example. I just hung two sections that overlap about a foot.
This is similar to what I’ve seen in professional aviaries and flights. There’s a screen of netting or strips of polypropylene and the birds don’t go through it even though they really COULD if they tried.

I’ve been wondering if a 70s style bead curtain between my living room and kitchen would keep my birds safer. They are locked in whenever I am cooking.

LeeC

Jun 5, 2019
Media
Harrisburg, PA
Parrots
Timneh: Grady;
Senegal: Charlie;
Sun Conure: Peaches (deceased)
Senegal: Georgia
Peach-fronted Conure: Milton (foster)
Brown-throated Conure: Pumpkin (foster)
Senegal: Fletcher
Senegal: Ivy
This is similar to what I’ve seen in professional aviaries and flights. There’s a screen of netting or strips of polypropylene and the birds don’t go through it even though they really COULD if they tried.

I’ve been wondering if a 70s style bead curtain between my living room and kitchen would keep my birds safer. They are locked in whenever I am cooking.
The rescue where I got several of my parrots uses thick curtains in all room-to-room doorways. I love natural light, though. In my bedroom doir3way, I hung a rope "thing" that reminds me of a cross between macrame and thise 70s beaded things. :] It keeps Georgia from coming in at first light to raise cane. She seems happy to cling to it and climb it for a while.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221021-205114_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20221021-205114_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 32

Most Reactions

Latest posts