My recently returned Alexandrine parrot has her flock call changed

Razak3000

Mar 10, 2024
Parrots
Alexandrine, African Grey
Our beloved Alexandrine parrot (Tiko) who accidently flew away two years ago at the age of 7 was finally found 16 months later at a home 5 miles away after lots of advertising. Since her return, she has become more loving, does similar things she used to do and looks the same with the red marking on her wings exactly the same. However, her flock call has completely changed. Sometimes I wonder if we got the same parrot back. Does any one know if Alexandrine parrots change their flock calls completely during their lifetime. Many thanks

GambotheGreyt

Feb 8, 2024
Parrots
Currently.. congo african grey
Our beloved Alexandrine parrot (Tiko) who accidently flew away two years ago at the age of 7 was finally found 16 months later at a home 5 miles away after lots of advertising. Since her return, she has become more loving, does similar things she used to do and looks the same with the red marking on her wings exactly the same. However, her flock call has completely changed. Sometimes I wonder if we got the same parrot back. Does any one know if Alexandrine parrots change their flock calls completely during their lifetime. Many thanks
Is she banded? I wouldn't imagine that someone bought a bird the same as yours and then gave it to you. šŸ˜

I cannot comment to the call. Does she talk otherwise?

OP
R

Razak3000

Mar 10, 2024
Parrots
Is she banded? I wouldn't imagine that someone bought a bird the same as yours and then gave it to you. šŸ˜

I cannot comment to the call. Does she talk otherwise?
I have banded her now after retrieving her. Lesson learnt! I rewarded the guy from whom we got her back by paying him 6 times more of what he paid for her originally.

She stopped talking many years before she flew away. She only used to make a flock call whenever she wanted my attention. She still does the same - the only difference is that her flock call has completely changed.

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
Whenever I add a new budgie to my flock, the new birdā€™s vocalizations gradually change and become more similar to my older birdā€™s calls. Iā€™ve read that families/ groups of birds have particular sounds/rhythm/ tones etc. unique to their group. I imagine if your bird was around other birds in the time that she was missing, she could very well have altered her flock call.

OP
R

Razak3000

Mar 10, 2024
Parrots
Whenever I add a new budgie to my flock, the new birdā€™s vocalizations gradually change and become more similar to my older birdā€™s calls. Iā€™ve read that families/ groups of birds have particular sounds/rhythm/ tones etc. unique to their group. I imagine if your bird was around other birds in the time that she was missing, she could very well have altered her flock call.
Thank you. That's very comforting to know

Most Reactions

Latest posts