My ring neck stays all day hanging by his beak , he just have 1 month

B3LG4

Jun 6, 2023
Parrots
1 Ring Neck
Good evening, I've had my ring neck for a few days now, but his behavior makes me worried.

He is 1 month and a half old, but he still eats porridge and has no interest in other foods, the person who had him only fed him porridge once a day and did not give him the attention he needed.

When he arrived we had to put him in a cage because he already wants to fly, the problem was that he won't go to the floor of the cage. He spends the whole day in the same position in the cage hanging by his beak, I don't know what to do to make him stay on the cage floor. I don't know if he sleeps because he spends the whole day hanging by his beak and is only comfortable when we put him in our lap to feed him porridge. But he doesn't take it very well as he wants to force himself out and when we put him down he just wants to go into tight places to hide. I really don't know what to do. I hope you can help me.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
Welcome!

It's not unusual for ringnecks to be really scared when they first come home, and sometimes it takes them a while to be comfortable.

That seems a little worrying that he's hanging by his beak. Does he have perches in his cage? Ringnecks often like to be up high so maybe try a perch near the top of the cage that gives him room to stretch - a lot of times they'll pick the highest perch to sleep on because they feel safer up higher.

Mine spent a day climbing around the ceiling of his cage with his beak and feet on the first day I had him home, when he was scared, but he quickly figured out where the different perches and toys were.

My ringneck almost never goes on the bottom of his cage, but my visiting cockatiel does all the time. Cockatiels in the wild spend some time looking for food on the ground, but ringnecks eat food high up in the trees. It might not be normal for ringnecks to want to spend time on the bottom of a cage. I think it is more normal for them to want to be up near the top.

I'm not sure how often he should be fed at 6 weeks old - I've only had birds that were eating solid food. I'm glad he came to you though, you're doing great in asking questions here and hopefully we'll figure things out together for you and your little one :)

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Ringnecks in general are known for being fairly high strung temperament parrots. Its not unusual for them to take a few weeks (sometimes longer) to settle down. But at 6 weeks he needs to be fed more then 1x a day. Offer his formula AT THE RIGHT TEMPERATURE of 100-108deg F (very important) at least 3x a day. Check to see his crop has emptied each time, you dont want food sitting in there, it can turn sour and cause problems. PLease read all the info on this thread -
So you bought an unweaned baby..

Most Reactions

Latest posts