My ringneck doesn't eat food outside his cage!!

Pareek

Jun 28, 2021
I found a ringneck parrot 6 months ago as his feathers were cut by someone he couldn't fly well at that time....also his beak is a but black from bottom and he has a full ring so we assume that he is quite old parrot

Now he comes to my finger,climbs the curtains but he is not still trained enough....whenever I try to give him any treat outside his cage he never eats that and is always in hurry to either fly on the curtain or his cage ,so he never sits on me comfortably ....

Yup only except night when he likes to be pet on his head .....

So I need help about how can I ensure him more ....I tried every method but all in vain as he only eats inside his cage.....please help me....!!!!

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
2021 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
✻Csillam the rescued budgie
✻Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
✻Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
✻RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
Welcome!

It's extremely hard to find out the age of a parrot, if it has a full ring we can only know that it's older than 2-3 years, and a boy :D Another way to make assumptions is by the feet, if the feet are very smooth, it is possible he is young, but it's not a rule, flaky legs can be due to wrong diet so yeah... you cannot really find out the age once he is an adult!

Have you tried giving treats through the cage bars? Try with something he might like a lot, like apples for example (my IRN Zeleni, LIVED for apples.). After he accepts through the cage bars, you could try through an open cage door or when he is on the cage. after that you can try offering elsewhere. It seems to me that he for some reason doesn't feel safe outside to accept the treat and eat it there. Does he preen while outside? Or is he always jittery? Do you happen to have any other pets around that could make him nervous?

It is a really good thing that he trusts you to the point he lets you pet him during night! Just remember, head and neck only! You don't want to end up with a hormonal IRN, trust me.

Also remember, always follow the bird's pace. Just take it slow, I'm sure you're doing great if he will step up on you! Training would help you a lot once he starts accepting treats from you! Another tip - let the bird come to you rather than you forcing your way to the bird!

Most Reactions

Latest posts