My story..

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Well...This Thursday (the 8th) the movers will be here at 8am to move me and my "stuff"..some to storage,others to my brother David. Amy and Beeb's and their houses will be the last to move. David has even gone as far as ordering proper house covers for both of them. I am somewhat apprehensive about the move,not for me really,but the kids. Amy has been here for nearly thirty years,it's the only "home" he knows:eek: I am hoping that with all the socialization she has gotten thru the years it'll help with him settling in better.
I am not too concerned with BB. He is a young boy and he grooves on uncle david,but still...it'll be a new place. I think with time,Amy will get along with David. Amy "tolerates" him now,and maybe because he will see David every day,he'll get to know David better,and I know my brother will try to make friends...sighhhh..:eek:

Any tips/ideas on how to make this transition a positive one?? :confused:
And then there is Missy,the sixteen year old kitty..who has been an indoor kitty all her life. Amy has lived with a couple kittys in her life and has never bothered them,or was bothered by them. This will be new to BB.

Jim

Jim, wishing the smoothest of transitions for you, Amy and BB. You've had a rough time of it lately and come through like a champ. I expect your flock will follow your stalwart example in the coming upheaval.

As for tips, you're already implementing one of them: move them after everything else has been moved and is relatively settled. Minimizes the stress of the experience.

Also, I'd take each of the birds on a tour of your brother's home, introducing them to every wall, window, door and mirror in the place. And further, so far as BB (the flier) is concerned, I'd make sure there are recognized landing places here and there throughout the apartment. Flighted panic is significantly reduced when a bird knows there is a safe landing point nearby.

Other than all that, I'd just say take it slowly with them and respect their adjustment period. I think you all are going to be just fine.

Jim make sure your brother has my number, just in case, bro.

PS I am back in hospital, with a case of pneumonia and the boogie woogie flu, but should be out today or tomorrow... I ammaking such a big pain in the ass of myself this time round, I expect they will be glad to see me go!.

Damn, Al. Sorry to hear you're back in the hospital, though I'm glad you'll be out soon if not already. Just try not to make too much of a ruckus up in there. Wait, scratch that. I just remembered who I'm talking to. I'll be happy if the hospital is still standing.

Try and take it easy and recuperate properly, okay?

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
Anansi - you said it ... ;)
I am just agreeing to everything you said.
(LOL@ still standing)

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Back home already. I think thats the secret to a short stay is to just be as demanding , loud , obnoxious as possible, so they cant wait to get rid of you ( legally that is). They were so glad, that all 3 docs signed off on me in about an hour, they even paid for a taxi to get me out of there! I believe the place was still standing, but all bets were off once we left the grounds.

Jim I am telling you man you HAVE to quit the smokes like now. I had to becasue I was in the friggin bone factory for a montth, so no point starting up again. It makes a HUGE difference in how you feel and all your vitals are going to show big improvement.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Back home already. I think thats the secret to a short stay is to just be as demanding , loud , obnoxious as possible, so they cant wait to get rid of you ( legally that is). They were so glad, that all 3 docs signed off on me in about an hour, they even paid for a taxi to get me out of there! I believe the place was still standing, but all bets were off once we left the grounds.

Jim I am telling you man you HAVE to quit the smokes like now. I had to becasue I was in the friggin bone factory for a montth, so no point starting up again. It makes a HUGE difference in how you feel and all your vitals are going to show big improvement.

I have quit several times once for as long as 4 years.
my breathing at night became better, I felt smarter for not wasting all that money. but otherwise I did not notice much difference. :34:

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
Parrots
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
It also will make a huge difference by not making people gag when you stand close ;) smoke does not just get in your nose and lungs... also your hair, clothes, nicotinestained fingers (ieuw) and it makes you completely unkissable exept by other smokers.
(One of my exes used to sneak a cigarette on monday, convinced it would be unnoticeable when I would kiss him on friday ...well, he is my ex now, so that failed! / yes he almost made me throw up.)
I always wonder how the parrots stand it.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Regular progress reports, Jim!

Don't make us come over there.

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
Man, between Al and Jim we've all been stressed around here from worrying about you guys! Knock this crap off, both of you!

And I can say this because I smoke Jim, I'll be "that guy"...You gotta stop brother, it's about the worst thing you can do with a ticker and arteries such as yours...Have you ever thought about switching over to vaping instead of just eliminating the nicotine all-together? Just totally stopping all nicotine use can cause enormous stress on you as well, and that isn't good either, so instead of doing that and then losing your mind and crawling out of your skin, or trying things that don't work like gum and patches, have you ever thought about just flipping over to vaping?

I did it on-the-spot after smoking for 14 years and it worked fine, the first day was a little weird, but the key is getting a GOOD, STRONG Modbox vape and not one of those weak pens. You can spend $50 and get a really strong, voltage/wattage/temperature adjustable Modbox with a really nice Atomizer on it, and then all you have to do is buy the E-Juice...And the good news about that is that it comes in every flavor imaginable, and the "Craft" E-Juice companies make some absolutely delicious and accurate juices...You can vape your Chocolate-Glazed Doughnuts, Captain Crunch and Milk, New York Cheesecake, and every other dessert, cereal, beverage, etc. that your heart desires...And imagine the money you'll save!!! I order all of my Juices online and save a fortune, and it's so nice to not have to worry about always having a pack with you, or worrying about where you can go to smoke, etc. And you don't stink anymore either, which never really bothered me because hey, I can't smell it!!!

Seriously, if you seriously want to give it a try just PM me and I can get you pointed in the right direction...It's the best alternative that exists, by far, because you're not giving up your nicotine and you're not giving up the "action" of smoking, which is what kills you, you already know that...And while you should start on the highest nicotine juice, you can simply taper down very quickly to little to no nicotine, because since you're still doing the action of smoking, it's like it makes it okay that nicotine isn't involved, or at least very little nicotine...

Something to think about...Trust me, I get it. I'm not only a smoker but a recovering opiate addict...So I get it...

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
LOL , Ellen, Jim, we are some crew huh? But we are the best our fids are gonna get, so we might as well be better. Let's all 3 commit to trying to better our physical outlooks in some manner, and check back in 1st of the month. We owe it to these amazing animal we all have. My commitment will be to beat my blood sugar issue - and I LOVEmy sweet ****. Smokes - I;'ll never ever smoke anything again. Opiates- I am dosed way way way diwn from a year ago ( like 1/16 former levels).

Jim - Smoking is yours

Ellen - the jury is still out on vaping, so wy not try o but outa that?

I wounder how many other members mght benfit from this kinda mutual help?

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
The times I have quit I used the patch. It worked very well for me.
Unfortunately I have developed a skin sensitivitie to the patch. After having it on for 2/3 hours it starts itching. if I ignore it and wear it 24 hours when I take it off the area looks like a sunburn and itches for the next 3 days.

I have tried the pen type vape but never found them … satisfying.
I have never heard of a Modbox, will look into that.

dhraiden

Jul 14, 2015
Queens NY
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure (Mochi)
Gold Capped Conure (Mango)
LOL , Ellen, Jim, we are some crew huh? But we are the best our fids are gonna get, so we might as well be better. Let's all 3 commit to trying to better our physical outlooks in some manner, and check back in 1st of the month. We owe it to these amazing animal we all have. My commitment will be to beat my blood sugar issue - and I LOVEmy sweet ****. Smokes - I;'ll never ever smoke anything again. Opiates- I am dosed way way way diwn from a year ago ( like 1/16 former levels).

Jim - Smoking is yours

Ellen - the jury is still out on vaping, so wy not try o but outa that?

I wounder how many other members mght benfit from this kinda mutual help?

You guys are awesome friends to each other:) Now I dislike making promises I know I won't keep, so no similar commitments from me (not that I have any flaws, being perfectly moderate and balanced in all my sins and vices :18:;)) but just reading and appreciating the support and concern you've all shown each other is really heartening. I know I'll be waiting to see the progress you've all made come 12-1! They say people stick to goals when they're made public, and they know other people will be wanting to see them come through, so there ya go :D

TiredOldMan

Apr 24, 2018
Media
South Central Texas
Parrots
CAG Hen-Gracie age unknown, U2 Rooster-Anakin 13YO
Cantix worked well for me. And most insurance will let you have a 6 month course for low or no copay. You still smoke when you are on it until your ready to put the nicotine down.

TiredOldMan

Apr 24, 2018
Media
South Central Texas
Parrots
Tired old man love the new avitar pic!!

Thank You Laura (that's the BOSS's name also).

I feel the need to explain the glasses. They aren't sunglasses they are Transitions but they don't get any lighter than that unfortunately.

Don't want ya'll to think I'm hiding my eyes or that I think I'm cool(I'm not!):eek:

I actually managed to take that pic with out breaking the camera.:D

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Cantix worked well for me. And most insurance will let you have a 6 month course for low or no copay. You still smoke when you are on it until your ready to put the nicotine down.

My Dr. did not want to Rx Cantrix. Could be because it might conflict with an anti-seizure med I take for migraines.

I don't mean to derail your thread but it IS an important subject. Not only for our health but that of our Fids as well.
:36:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Glad you managed to get kicked out of the hospital, Al. Be well!!

Jim, cigarettes are just plain evil, IMO. Ever watch the 1999 movie "The Insider?" May make you so angry the motivation to quit will be turbocharged!

TiredOldMan

Apr 24, 2018
Media
South Central Texas
Parrots

My Dr. did not want to Rx Cantrix. Could be because it might conflict with an anti-seizure med I take for migraines.

I don't mean to derail your thread but it IS an important subject. Not only for our health but that of our Fids as well.
:36:

That is possible! I take meds for most everything but not seizures. Heck after taking my morning allotment I'm too full to eat breakfast:(

Ask your Dr. if you can take Welbutrin(old antidepressant). One of the off label uses is to help quit smoking.
Also if you want to clear up the mystery just ask your pharmacist as they should know the interaction problems.

Sorry for the hijack!

I'm REALLY glad you are out of the hospital Al. A hospital is the worst place to be sick IMHO. People always waking you up for some reason and every germ and virus known to mankind!

Last edited:

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
Parrots
How about just go "cold turkey"? And just decide to really call it quits this time?
My mum had a long history of trying to quit (20 to 70) and failing miserably every single time (too much stress etc.)... untill she got coloncancer and decided that she really wanted to live a bit longer.
She needed to stop smoking in time for the surgery - and just never looked back.
(I am SO proud of her, she keeps amazing me.)

The funniest part is that *now* she complains how terrible smokers smell and how it stinks up the place :D (duh, story of my life!)

I now you have a lot going on, but I hope you decide to stick around for the next great sunrise, the next amazing thing your fids will do etc..

OP
AmyMyBlueFront

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Scott I'm kicking myself in the butt for starting up again after 19 years of being smoke free :mad: Now that I am OFFICIALLY at my brothers he is nagging me..and I've slowed down quite a bit..he does smoke a pipe but hates cig smell.
On a lighter note the kids are doing real well here.Amy seems to be doing a lot more vocalizing and is making progress with being buddies with my brother.BB is getting on his nerves lol says he "screams" too much, I just tell him its Beebs happy voice :D
Pics will be take and posted soon..as soon as I can find my digi camera :confused:

jim

Most Reactions

Latest posts