My tiel lost all his tail feathers at once

henk_and_zazoe

Nov 10, 2022
Parrots
A two year old cockatiel, named Zazoe.
Hi all!

My two year cockatiel, Zazoe, lost all of his tail feathers at once yesterday. Although this is his third molt, I have never seen him lose this many feathers (6 tail feathers) at once. When he lost them, he didn’t show any signs of being hurt and he wasn’t stuck. He just flew away and lost these feathers during the 10 feet flight.

Searching online I found this could be a sign of illness. But he is eating and behaving very normal, and I can see 2 tail feathers growing already.

Of course I want to be careful with him. But taking him to the vet is pretty expensive, and he mostly returns very shocked and offended… So, I am unsure what to do.

What do you guys think?

Attachments

• 400EE9D6-1D4A-43B7-984D-E4A122D2D992.jpeg
    400EE9D6-1D4A-43B7-984D-E4A122D2D992.jpeg
    216 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
All at once denotes your Parrot catching the tail in something and they had been pulled out in that moment. 6-tails feathers seem light, commonly 9 - 11 tail feathers more common. but, it has been years since I had counted a Tiel's tail feathers.

With an illness, the feathers, in a very serious case, would be loosing them in mass over 48 hours, or so hours, possibly long.

OP
henk_and_zazoe

henk_and_zazoe

Nov 10, 2022
Parrots
A two year old cockatiel, named Zazoe.
All at once denotes your Parrot catching the tail in something and they had been pulled out in that moment. 6-tails feathers seem light, commonly 9 - 11 tail feathers more common. but, it has been years since I had counted a Tiel's tail feathers.

With an illness, the feathers, in a very serious case, would be loosing them in mass over 48 hours, or so hours, possibly long.

Good to know. Thank you very much!

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur mom’s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Since you already have advice here, I just want to add that it will not affect flight too much. My budgie’s tail (before they passed on) got caught and pulled out by something. He was fine and looked like a little quail but he wasn’t too happy about it. His pygos was probably sore from that.

So, your bird will be just fine but will most likely have a sore pygos (the “butt” but not the vent)

Most Reactions

Latest posts