My time for a rant!

veimar

Feb 5, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
gcc Parry; lovebird Coco; 3 budgies (Tesla, Franky and Cesar); cockatiel Murzik, red rump parakeet girl Onyx
Somebody posted this on my FB page probably to show how "terrible" parrots are:
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yepL_rjphCM"]Parrot Attacks and Bites Violinist - YouTube[/ame]

What? UNEXPECTEDLY??!?! Okay, I never owned an Amazon and have seen them just a few times, but isn't it obvious from the first second that the bird is extremely pissed off and is going to attack? And this stupid guy takes his violin out (which might seem as a threatening object to the parrot) and starts playing in his face! :eek:
Well, it was his daughter's parrot (hmm, the guy is pretty young, so how old could his daughter be to own an amazon?!), but how could he not read the bird's obvious body language?
Because of such people parrots get "bad" reputation and end up in the shelters.
End rant...

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I wouldn't say that bird was pissed so much as VERY overstimulated (you do learn the difference after a while and it's so subtle I can't quite put my finger on the "difference" to explain to other people). Either way, with that behavior, the idiot with the violin was doomed to be attacked! Now *THAT* is a prime example of a zon you want to back away from! The stalking, pinning, flashing.... NOT IN AN APPROACHABLE MOOD! And then the vocalizations afterwards, that bird was WAY worked up! Classical and opera seem to have that effect on most amazons (who knows why, but many zons get worked up with that type of music). When Kiwi is like that, I usually back off and let him calm down alone OR if he's in his cage, I'll cover him for a while for some quiet time to compose himself.

And you are 100% correct, this is why amazons (and many other parrots) get bad reputations. People pay no attention to what the bird is communicating and then blame the bird when they get savagely attacked.

Edit: I left a comment on that video. I usually don't comment, but I hope those people read it. Did anyone else notice the bird had 0 toys in his cage?

Last edited:

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
:mad: I'd like to take the guy's violin stroker (or whatever that thing is called)and stick it where the sun doesn't shine. :mad:

torrap

Jun 10, 2013
CO, USA
Parrots
Marley-YSA (hen) -hatched 07/20/2006;
Simba-DYHA (hen)-hatched 06/23/2003
:mad: I'd like to take the guy's violin stroker (or whatever that thing is called)and stick it where the sun doesn't shine. :mad:

It's called a bow..... :)
My both Zons got scared when I took my violin out for the first time and started playing. I think the sound is too strong for them.
They were very excited but didn't attack....:54:
I am playing in a distance if I do.
They actually prefer me playing a piano. We all get together and sing songs.
Lucky for me I know my birds by now.

Last edited:

mh434

Oct 28, 2014
BC, Canada
Parrots
Yellow-naped Amazon "Sammy"
Love birds (4)
Green-cheeked Conure "Skittles" - now, sadly gone from my life
Blue-Crowned Conure "Tequila"
African Grey "Reno" - sadly, now gone from my life
The bird's body language was the equivalent of a dog with its hackles up, teeth bared, and growling. Continuing to play that violin in its face was the equivalent of poking the aforementioned dog repeatedly with a stick. The results were as predictable as they were lamentable.

No doubt the poor 'zon is a pariah now.

And the guy with the violin remains an idiot.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Tail spread. Hunched over. Wings out. Tail fully flaired. Eyes going. Vocalizing. Back on his haunches like a spring about to launch...

Ummmm... the coiled spring thing is your final clue that this bird is going to launch at your face in a matter of milliseconds if you don't back off...

That's "line of death" stuff right there... Classic threat display! "I consider you a threat, don't come any closer or I will attack you! Emphasis on I WILL!"

And it's a DYH, THE MOST HOT TEMPERED OF THE HOT 3's... and he's very, very upset!

Reminds me of that commercial:

I found this hornet's nest, and I didn't know if there was anything in it. So I poked it with a big stick... AND THERE WAS!

Last edited:

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
See, now, both my zons love violin music... they actually whistle along.

No one's actually shoved a real violin in their face though... so, there is that.

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
Something about someone having posted this video online in the first place seems odd. If I did something ignorant, without realizing I was upsetting mine or someone else's pet, I wouldn't 'brag' about it online like that. Maybe if he had posted it as a 'what not to do', or what he learned after the fact, but as it is, I find it odd. (like, here I am teasing this bird, because I think it's funny how he freaks out when I shove my violin in his face).
People can really be nitwits!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)

torrap

Jun 10, 2013
CO, USA
Parrots
Marley-YSA (hen) -hatched 07/20/2006;
Simba-DYHA (hen)-hatched 06/23/2003
I have noticed my Zons prefer classical music to any other music.
They love opera. I am glad we have the same taste.
Also, I think they like to listen to the same CD over and over again, maybe because they know what is coming..... :)

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)

My both Zons got scared when I took my violin out for the first time and started playing. I think the sound is too strong for them.

Sally and Lila would probably dance for you, and I don't mean the line of death dance. Maggie too...

OP
veimar

veimar

Feb 5, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
gcc Parry; lovebird Coco; 3 budgies (Tesla, Franky and Cesar); cockatiel Murzik, red rump parakeet girl Onyx
Did you actually read the whole "story" below that video on yt? Read it! :D I found it after posting - what a disgusting self-pitying "hero" attitude! These people shouldn't own Amazons!!!
Poor bird… :(

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Sorry but I LOVE the end where he is sitting up there looking down ....... Go ahead ***** pick it up again. I dare ya

He's still in territorial intrusion mode...

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I have noticed my Zons prefer classical music to any other music.
They love opera. I am glad we have the same taste.
Also, I think they like to listen to the same CD over and over again, maybe because they know what is coming..... :)

Really? Kiwi behaves *just* like this towards classical and country. Classical gets him overstimulated, country just pisses him off (it pisses me off too, so we're in agreement). Other music he seems to enjoy and dance and have positive responses to.

I think people don't realize animals respond to sound. Especially such intelligent animals like parrots. If the hear something they like or don't like, they are going to respond. Sometimes not favorably....

Last edited:

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Yeah, but that particular bird was reacting to something he perceived as a threat. The violin music had little or nothing to do with it, other than the violin and stick was a large object approaching that the bird didn't want anywhere near him...

Common sense required, even if you do consider yourself a virtuoso...

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Both my Amazons LOVE classical music. Hunter goes into full blown singing mode, and then Sam sings backup. :D

Sam goes into overdrive when I'm vacuuming under his cage, so I've learnt to just leave him on the playstand while I'm doing that. No need to rile him up unnecessarily.

I just don't understand why anyone would 'purposely' get their bird going like this - it's so unnecessary.

Most Reactions

Latest posts