My turn to ask something

darkchi

Dec 6, 2006
Albany, NY
Parrots
Cricket -C.A.G
Ok my question is about poop! :eek: yes I said it! :p

Ok.... I have a pretty good idea that they should be going every... eh 20 mins or so? (thats what I have read anyways)
Well Cricket goes, maybe, once every min when I have her out. Is this a form of excitement; like a dog peeing when he sees you. They arn't big, well the first one is, but all the rest are prolly the size of a keets droppings. Should I be worried or is this still part of her getting used to me and being out of the cage.

One more, question (I think i have the answer too) and yes it has to do with poop. She went on the floor yesterday (nothing unusual) and it didn't look like the "normal" droppings... description time... almost looked like cottage cheese and egg whites. (Hungry yet) Now this only happened once and I think it is because I maybe gave her too much... cheese? or maybe eggs?
Should I be worried... I will be keeping an eye on it, and i have to bring her back to the vet anyways for blood work so I plan on asking these questions then too, but I thought I would include you wonderful people with this great topic ;)

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Thanks for that, was just about to chomp down on a cheese sandwich, lost my appetite for some reason. :D

Its a funny thing but dairy products are great for them, they can't digest it properly, but eggs are great :confused: Very strange, could be too much cheese but check with the vet anyway, just to be on the safe side.

Usually they "go" every 20 mins or so, but when Bucc was young (before a year old) I swear he would go every 20 secs or so. :D Think it could be because she is young, but again mention it to the vet when you go. When Bucc reached a year old, he started to go about every 20 mins or so, which I was very please about. :D

OP
darkchi

darkchi

Dec 6, 2006
Albany, NY
Parrots
Cricket -C.A.G
Thanx, I am hoping its just a baby thing other wise i am going to be knee deep in the stuff.

One more question (also plan on asking the vet)

I think one of the reasons she isn't warming up to me all that well is because she is in that room all by her self (radio on). Now the vet told me I really should have her in the main room, which i would love to do... buuuut....
The main room is also a kitchen, no walls or doors no nothing. Now I don't want her to be around that stuff. It is a big room but when I cook and he smokes (I don't but my boy friend does) I would rather have her as far away as possible.

What do you guys think, am I doing more harm than good.

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
hows about you get a good over the stove hood (a unit that vents really well) ... get rid of the smoking BF and let Cricket have his/her run of the place! ;)

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
If I could convince either my kids or hubby to leave home, then I'd have a room for my birds:D They're not too keen on the idea though.

Do you sit and play with her in her room. Maybe you could try that. She may be assossiating you with taking her away from all the things she knows and feels comfortable with. :confused: If you don't feel comfortable with her being in your main room then keep her in her room. As long as they get a lot of interaction from the care giver then I don't see a problem if they are in the main room or a bird room.

OP
darkchi

darkchi

Dec 6, 2006
Albany, NY
Parrots
Cricket -C.A.G
problem is that we rent and apartment... so putting in anything isn't possible

but we do already have a vent but it one of them stupid ones that pulls it up but not out of the room :34: who's idea was it to make some thing like that.

FYI- birds can't be around anything that have to do with ..air?!?... like purfume, candles, smoking, air fresheners, and other stuff like that. They are very susceptible to air pollutants.

Thats why (back in the day) cole miners brought a canary down in the mine with them... if the bird passes out or, well, dies... peolple need to get out because there is toxins in the air.

Most Reactions

Latest posts