nails cut too short

mahdia8

Mar 9, 2023
Parrots
african grey
i accidentally cut my african grey's parrot nails short and now he is standing on one leg. There is no bleeding but im worried he's in pain. What should i do?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Parrots will stand on one leg for any number of reasons. Does he only stand on the same foot or over time does he switch?

I also, have the ability to cut my Parrots nails, but choose not to for this very reason. Also, if a bleeder occurs they can quickly, stop it. Plus, the Vet or Vet tech gets to be the bad guys.

Likely not in heavy pain if there was no bleeding.

Allow him time for the nail core to heal and consider yourself lucky.

Welcome to Parrot Forum, Enjoy!!

OP
M

mahdia8

Mar 9, 2023
Parrots
african grey
Parrots will stand on one leg for any number of reasons. Does he only stand on the same foot or over time does he switch?

I also, have the ability to cut my Parrots nails, but choose not to for this very reason. Also, if a bleeder occurs they can quickly, stop it. Plus, the Vet or Vet tech gets to be the bad guys.

Likely not in heavy pain if there was no bleeding.

Allow him time for the nail core to heal and consider yourself lucky.

Welcome to Parrot Forum, Enjoy!!
he's standing on the foot i cut the nails and thankfully there was no bleeding. Thanks alot for relieving my worries. I'll be sure to monitor him closely and see if any changes occur

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
he's standing on the foot i cut the nails and thankfully there was no bleeding. Thanks alot for relieving my worries. I'll be sure to monitor him closely and see if any changes occur
That's a relief! Just like with our nails, it probably doesn't hurt much if there isn't any bleeding but I wouldn't do that again.

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
Ona did this for weeks after her nails were trimmed. It wasn’t always the same leg with her (she had both feet trimmed). I was worried about it and took her to the vet but in her case nothing was wrong. She stopped eventually once her nails grew in some more. I think sometimes they do this just because they are uncomfortable with the shorter nails.

If your bird will allow it, and once they are recovered from the trim, I highly recommend working on nail filing. It’s a way to get those sharp points off without losing a lot of length on the nail. I trained Ona over several weeks to let me hold each of her feet separately and slowly bit by bit file the tips of her nails. My hope is to continue using this method instead of having her trimmed again.

Most Reactions

Latest posts