Name change?

RebelEgger

Apr 17, 2023
Parrots
Indian Ring Neck
Iā€™m sure this is a sensitive subject, but what is the consensus on changing a birds name?

Our girl is 4yo, her current name is Niya, Iā€™m just not struck on that name, and it happens to be the name of our nieces dog. Small world.

The owner previous to me had her for 2 years and changed her name when she got her. Her original name was Nellie.

I rarely call her by her name because Iā€™m just not crazy about it. I usually just call her sweet girl or beautiful girl, turkey butt, house chicken or some other random nick name.

Thoughts?

I have had my girl for 3.5 weeks now, sheā€™s settled in so well, Iā€™m so proud of her and fast she adjusted to our house. I would just like to make her something that means something to me.
IMG_4825.jpeg

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Iā€™m sure this is a sensitive subject, but what is the consensus on changing a birds name?

Our girl is 4yo, her current name is Niya, Iā€™m just not struck on that name, and it happens to be the name of our nieces dog. Small world.

The owner previous to me had her for 2 years and changed her name when she got her. Her original name was Nellie.

I rarely call her by her name because Iā€™m just not crazy about it. I usually just call her sweet girl or beautiful girl, turkey butt, house chicken or some other random nick name.

Thoughts?

I have had my girl for 3.5 weeks now, sheā€™s settled in so well, Iā€™m so proud of her and fast she adjusted to our house. I would just like to make her something that means something to me. View attachment 50623
You should change her name to whatever you think suits her! She's not going to be offended- she's a bird, not a human. As long as you you talk nicely to her she won't care what you call her.

OP
RebelEgger

RebelEgger

Apr 17, 2023
Parrots
Indian Ring Neck
You should change her name to whatever you think suits her! She's not going to be offended- she's a bird, not a human. As long as you you talk nicely to her she won't care what you call her.
Thanks, my googling I did on the subject made it seem like a no-no. I think I like the name Melon.

I was originally thinking Kiwi, but I think that names been done with green birds enough lol

PrimorandMoxi

May 29, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Max (23yo) Blue and Gold Macaw,
&
PRIMOR (8yo) Red Lored Amazon,
&
ABBA (33yo) Red Lored Amazon - RIP
That's a pretty birdy you got there.

I think it's a good idea to change name if you want because it that lets them know they are at a new start of the best time of their life.

When we got our RLA we couldn't understand what his name was because of a double language barrier.
So we renamed him Primor.

A bit later we found out his name was "Lucky"
Sometimes i'll incorporate Lucky into my conversations with him.

It's easy to use that as a nickname "Lucky-Primor" or "Who's Primor? our Lucky birdy?"

I think he is aware of these different names but mostly that he is OUR Primor.

OP
RebelEgger

RebelEgger

Apr 17, 2023
Parrots
Indian Ring Neck
That's a pretty birdy you got there.

I think it's a good idea to change name if you want because it that lets them know they are at a new start of the best time of their life.

When we got our RLA we couldn't understand what his name was because of a double language barrier.
So we renamed him Primor.

A bit later we found out his name was "Lucky"
Sometimes i'll incorporate Lucky into my conversations with him.

It's easy to use that as a nickname "Lucky-Primor" or "Who's Primor? our Lucky birdy?"

I think he is aware of these different names but mostly that he is OUR Primor.
She is a very pretty girl, and she knows it!!! Lol

I canā€™t believe how much her personality has blossomed since sheā€™s been with us. Apparently she was very shy before and didnā€™t take to new people. Not in our house, sheā€™s all over most new people they come in, especially if food is involved.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Totally agree. I tortured over this question with my boy when we got him years ago. He was Porker, which had to go.

They donā€™t form attachments to names. Names are attention getting devices meant to elicit behavior reactions (attention). I taught my recently rescued dog his new name in 2 days flat by charging his name like I would a clicker (KODA! *treat*, KODA! *treat*). He picked it up quickly.

OP
RebelEgger

RebelEgger

Apr 17, 2023
Parrots
Indian Ring Neck
Totally agree. I tortured over this question with my boy when we got him years ago. He was Porker, which had to go.

They donā€™t form attachments to names. Names are attention getting devices meant to elicit behavior reactions (attention). I taught my recently rescued dog his new name in 2 days flat by charging his name like I would a clicker (KODA! *treat*, KODA! *treat*). He picked it up quickly.
I donā€™t even know how our dogs know their actual names, they each have atleast 6 nicknames šŸ˜†

ctwo

May 16, 2019
Parrots
Mango the Indian Ringneck and Peach the Cockatiel; Kiwi found a new home
My IRN was 5 years old when I got him, and the owners had named him Money. He also came bonded with the cockatiel, and they named her Coco. I had planned to go with Mango and Peach. Mango was fine with it, but I could never get Peach to stick, so it's Mango and Coco.

Most Reactions

Latest posts