Need a stainless steel cage

gibson2503

Jul 11, 2013
Media
Indiana
Parrots
Apollo (8 years old Sunday conure), and Ari (7 years old jenday conure) and Cosmo 9 years old goffins cockatoo). All DNA tested females.
I am in need of a stainless steel cage. Approximately 18x18x60. Iā€™ve looked at a few websites they want upwards of $1500. If thatā€™s my only choice then Iā€™ll have to do it, but where can I get one much less expensive?

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
I am in need of a stainless steel cage. Approximately 18x18x60. Iā€™ve looked at a few websites they want upwards of $1500. If thatā€™s my only choice then Iā€™ll have to do it, but where can I get one much less expensive?
As far as I know, all stainless cages cost much more than cages made of other materials.
The only way you could probably get on for cheaper is if you found a used one on Facebook, Craigslist, Kajiji etc.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Prevue Pet Products sells nice stainless steel cages on Amazon, $559 for 18x18x62; $692 for 24x23x62; and $862 for 32x24x62. They have built in playtops and stands.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Prevue Pet Products sells nice stainless steel cages on Amazon, $559 for 18x18x62; $692 for 24x23x62; and $862 for 32x24x62. They have built in playtops and stands.
These Prevue ones are the only stainless cages in these sizes that Amazon sells. Others are bigger and $$$ or too small.

WakaWaka

Supporting Member
Jun 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Baltimore Maryland
Parrots
Arika - Blue & Gold Macaw
These Prevue ones are the only stainless cages in these sizes that Amazon sells. Others are bigger and $$$ or too small.
The stainless cage (excuse me, condo) that we purchased for Arika 5 years ago has now doubled in price!!! They are expense but don't see it wearing out even from the beak of a Macaw any time soon. Hopefully you can find a used one, clean and sanitize it and put it to good use.
Please check every piece of metal for any sharp edges or broken welds, We had a nightmare with the razor sharp edges on ours and spent a lot of time making it safe.

OP
gibson2503

gibson2503

Jul 11, 2013
Media
Indiana
Parrots
Apollo (8 years old Sunday conure), and Ari (7 years old jenday conure) and Cosmo 9 years old goffins cockatoo). All DNA tested females.
Thanks everyone!!! I ended up getting a couple of the Prevue 18x18 from Amazon. They are going to be mainly sleep cages for our goffins cockatoo and sun conure. Soon we are going to order two of the next size up for daytime cages. The avian vet here in Indy found zinc in our goffinsā€™ blood and possible metal in her gizzard on radiographs. As soon as we convert everything metal over to stainless steel the vet is going to flush out her gizzard and give her something to get the zinc out of her blood.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
With the exception of being owned by a Macaw, or leaving the cage outside, why do you need a stainless steel cage?

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Thanks everyone!!! I ended up getting a couple of the Prevue 18x18 from Amazon. They are going to be mainly sleep cages for our goffins cockatoo and sun conure. Soon we are going to order two of the next size up for daytime cages. The avian vet here in Indy found zinc in our goffinsā€™ blood and possible metal in her gizzard on radiographs. As soon as we convert everything metal over to stainless steel the vet is going to flush out her gizzard and give her something to get the zinc out of her blood.
I think stainless steel is close to 100% "food safe" because it's used for food storage containers in most restaurants. Some metal cages that aren't stainless steel may be made of metals of dubious origin or the powder coat finish could be dubious. With birds that have been proven to have ingested potentially harmful metals I can see why you are going the safest route and getting stainless steel cages. They are very expensive but they will last "forever" and are also easy to clean and very attractive.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I think stainless steel is close to 100% "food safe" because it's used for food storage containers in most restaurants. Some metal cages that aren't stainless steel may be made of metals of dubious origin or the powder coat finish could be dubious. With birds that have been proven to have ingested potentially harmful metals I can see why you are going the safest route and getting stainless steel cages. They are very expensive but they will last "forever" and are also easy to clean and very attractive.
Okay, but the process of making steel wire exceeds killing temperatures. The process of setting powder coating exceeds the killing temperatures and if not it and/or maintained for a specific time period, the coating will crumb-off the steel wire. We have all heard about the out of the box cages, which are activity peeling /rusting.

Stainless steel is a unique product that cleans nicely, but requires the same hot water to assure cleaning occurs. Welded surfaces require buffing to clean them of the residue and a hot wash to remove the compounds used to buff the welds. Poor welds are a common problem with all cages. Stainless steel is expensive because the additional process to manufacture it and the additional costs to weld them as not any welder can assure a proper weld.

Last edited:

Most Reactions