Need advice for my budgie bird

Banana123

Dec 25, 2020
Hello ! I am new user of this forum.I need an advice for my budgie. It is too fat and it couldn't even fly. Please suggest diet for my budgie.

Thank you for your advice.

Ivan.Vanca

Nov 3, 2019
Slovakia
Parrots
budgies
Not everything is possible to be solved by diet.... Some budgie can be overweighted and some can be thin at the same diet. I would give him ( her ) good quality seeds, often sprouted seeds, maybe sprinkle some vitamine powder on the wet seeds, millet sprays are good, herbs ( dandelion, chickweed ), can give carrots, avoid eggs, sunflowers, and train some flying, but not to exhaust the bird too much. I hope he ( she ) will get better.

Ivan.Vanca

Nov 3, 2019
Slovakia
Parrots
budgies
And maybe get some iodine solution into the water. if you can get lugol s iodine solution, it requires one drop into 250 ml of water.

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
Can you post a picture? Is this a young bird, or old? How long have you had it?

If the bird is new, is it possible it is clipped? IF new - a fluffed-up bird could look fat but actually not.

Or have you had it a long time? If so, is Not-Flying new, or has it never flown? If the Not-flying is New, and especially if the bird seems enlarged, I would strongly suggest a visit to an Avian Vet for advice.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to you and your budgie! As "fiddlejen" suggested, a bit of background will help our budgie experts give helpful advice. Feel free to upload pictures as needed.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I wouldn't mess with iodine unless you are sure your bird has a thyroid problem. It's not a bad guess, but I would have it confirmed if possible before doing anything else. If you can give foods that are bird safe and higher in iodine, I would do that before supplementing. Unfortunately, most of the foods that contain iodine are not good for birds--- you could try some eggs, but on the flip side, if your bird is just obese, that could make him/her gain weight (depending on how much is given). Similarly, you don't want to give too much protein, so it's hard to know without more info.

Do you have a gram scale? If so, weighing your bird could be helpful. Also, if you are able to feel his/her chest, can you feel the keel bone at at all? It's a vertical bone that runs down their chest in the middle.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Hello and welcome.
Fiddlejen makes excellent points and questions, more details and information will help us help you.

To post a picture the quick way is to click go advanced button under tge text bix, then hut paperclip. Choose a picture, on tge far rightvus a button that says upload click that then close the window and post the text. Picture will attach underneath.

My parakeets have free choice seed mix, free choice pellets and twice daily get leafy greens like romaine, bok choy, Swiss chard, abd I offer bell pepper, peas, green beans, broccoli, cucumber, zucchini, snap peas, green beans. I offer just a few of those each day, and rotate what I offer, sometimes they get strawberries, cranberry, black berries. They have a cuttlebone, and mineral block.

My budgies have never over eaten with free choice. Budgies are prone to fatty tumors thst are called Lipoma , not cancer tho.

OP
B

Banana123

Dec 25, 2020
Hello Everyone, thanks for your suggetions. The problem seems to be reduced. Yesterday, I gave some time to my budgie to fly in the room. It flew in the room for some time. And now it is little bit active and playful.

Once again, Thanks for your suggetions

Most Reactions

Latest posts