Need Advice. How to care for my blind albino cockatiel and give fresh fruit/veggies ?

cutecockatiely

Jun 21, 2021
Hello, i got my albino female cockatiel named sally around 6 or so years ago from an owner, i'm unsure of how old my albino cockatiel is but since i've had her for a while i'm probably guessing she's around 12 years old. Sally developed a cataract in her left eye 3 years ago i think, and just recently i've been noticing she's been bumping into a lot of things when walking around or when i put fresh veggies in a small bowl in her cage usually she would walk to it and eat it. However she hasn't been doing that. about a couple weeks ago i've been noticing she can't see much in her right eye either whenever i try to put my hand near her to see if she can see it i get no reaction at all from the right eye now. She's familiar with the placement of her water bowl/food bowl is but i'm having trouble trying to get her to eat fresh fruits and veggies now and kind of unsure on what to do as im scared something will happen to her if she's just stuck on a seed/pellet diet with mixed in dried veggies and fruits in it. (i dont know if she eats the dried fruits as i think the pieces may be too big for her?) however i cut it up smaller. I also add in some dried mealworms mixed in with it all but really want to make sure she has a good diet with fresh fruit, veggies and some greens. i put an apple slice in her cage near her food bowl but since she can't see it it never gets touched. Everything in her cage is still the same and i have not rearranged anything so she knows where everything is. however i just put some fresh veggies on a small little bowl on the floor so if she stumbles upon it maybe she can feel for it or smell it? but i guess not... it just sits there.

I need some advice on what i'm able to do. Please help!

Thank you all. :grey::grey:

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to you and Sally, thanks for taking such good care of her! I'm assuming she has access to seed/pellet diet with dried fruit at all times, fresh veggies/fruits served in different location? Might try replacing seed/pellet dish with fresh veggies/fruits so she won't have to look elsewhere. No harm doing without seeds/pellets for a few hours, might encourage greater consumption of healthier foods.

OP
C

cutecockatiely

Jun 21, 2021
yes that's correct! she gets fresh food daily/fresh water daily. and the veggies/fresh fruit are on a small little plate at the bottom of the cage near the entrance as she ususally sometimes just walks around on the floor or comes to the entrance to scratch herself with the peg (lol). just having no luck with her eating the corn, carrots or peas, or apples or kale or lettuce the food she loves. probably since she can't see it.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Welcome! Is the plate w/fruits etc something new, or has that been how she gets her veggies in the past?

Scotts suggestion is good. I would replace the seed/pellet bowl and put a bowl with finely chopped veggies and fruits in its place for several hours, 3 or 4. Good on you for caring for her so well.

I used to wrangle for a dude ranch in my younger days. My work horse that I rode every day was moon blind. She was the best horse, because she trusted me implicitly. Your little 'tiel trusts you. I hope she is with you a long time!

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Thank you for caring for this sweet old bird. You will have the best luck if you keep her things-cage furniture and dishes- in the same position. If you found her falling, you could move her setup closer to the cage bottom or pad it with a towel.

i had a blind conure (Magoo) who really liked a snuggly preening wreath. That could be a good idea for your girl. He got scared and wailed if a stranger came in my home (strange voice) but he had been terribly mistreated. He also liked to be hand fed special items. That is a possible way to make sure your bird gets extra vitamins or nutrition and feels loved.

I am missing my Lucy Quaker now. She had one eye and some other issues and was the most loving, smart, and wonderful bird friend ever. She has been gone a year and a half, at 24 yrs old. Xoxo

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
As so well stated above, you need to continue to do the same things as you have done in the past. Blindness demands that you maintain a very rigid placement of everything in the cage. As stated above, food is part of that rigid structure. The floor of the cage should remain empty as that will allow her to use that level as a safe passage way.

Life may seem boring to you, but for your Parrot sameness is the key to safely navigating the surroundings.

For more information consider a Web Search using the terms Handicapped Parrot, or Handicapped Bird.

Thank you for your continued effort in caring for your Parrot.

Most Reactions

Latest posts