Need Advise on Hand feeding My 11 Weeks Ekkie.

Prawnie

Aug 29, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel and Eclectus
Need advise please. Our ekkie is 11 weeks old and currently on 2 feeding of Higgins Intune hand feeding formula (@ 8am and 6pm), temperature is kept between 37 degc to 42 degc as advised by breeder. She is also serve fresh chops mix with quinoa twice a day and pellet in her cage all time. The past few days has been difficult because she refuses hand feeding or drink very little when it’s her feeding time (we were told by the breeder to give 30ml for each feed). After that she will scream extremely loud whenever we enter or are in the kitchen, associating that we are making her formula but when we try to feed again she refuses. We do not intend to wean her until she is ready but her scream are very loud and worried that it might disturb our neighbours. She’s seems to be eating her chops and pellets well, we noticed the pellet became chew up into powder form. Her poop are also normal. We weight her every morning before feeding, she’s fluctuating between 381 grams to 384 grams.

Are we doing it right? When will the screaming stop?

Attachments

• A1627C49-ACBA-4F43-A69C-8A33FFC364F0.jpeg
    A1627C49-ACBA-4F43-A69C-8A33FFC364F0.jpeg
    402.5 KB · Views: 57
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
@texsize @Rozalka

Maybe she's done with formula and has weaned. From what I've read, most ekkies do wean around 11 weeks. Is she eating her chop and pellets like normal or more than normal? If so, I wouldn't worry.

Rozalka

May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
@texsize @Rozalka

Maybe she's done with formula and has weaned. From what I've read, most ekkies do wean around 11 weeks. Is she eating her chop and pellets like normal or more than normal? If so, I wouldn't worry.
I have no experience with weaning large parrots, so I don't know what's the normal weaning age... but if she eats her chop and pellets normally, I wouldn't worry neither. In my case the problem was to wean the babies... they always wanted me to feed them.
When will the screaming stop?
Honestly I don't remember how it was in my case... somehow after stopping feeding

Lokasia

May 13, 2022
Parrots
Kiki the baby quaker
I'm currently weaning my african grey who is the same age. She's still at the stage of more picking and playing with her food than eating it so is still on 3 feedings a day. She's being offered soft food and chop this week then next week fingers crossed, I can drop a feeding and offer pellets. My breeder told me not to force it if she's refusing her formula and offer a variety of food instead making sure there's plenty of soft food

OP
Prawnie

Prawnie

Aug 29, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel and Eclectus
Thanks everyone for the advice. I have been sitting by her cage looking at her eating her pellets trying to figure if she’s playing or really eating it. Tried to hand feed her this morning at she refused again. Her weight is consistent so I assume she did eat some.

Last edited:

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
Thanks everyone for the advice. I have been sitting by her cage looking at her eating her pellets trying to figure if she’s playing or really eating it. Here’s a video. Tried to hand feed her this morning at she refused again. Her weight is consistent so I assume she did eat some.
Pellets tend to get crushed up into powder very easily. It's hard for them to consume it all. I have 3 birds who are all on different pellets and there is always a powder left.

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
Hi there, I know your Ekkie is a baby. I did want to mention that my Ekkie who is 17 years old turns his pellets into powder, and then he sticks it in his water. I adopted him a year ago, and when I first got him I thought he wasn’t eating. I thought something was very wrong. I learned later on that some parrots just have a tendency to play with their food. I just make sure to keep track of weight. It’s a great way to monitor this.

OP
Prawnie

Prawnie

Aug 29, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel and Eclectus
Pellets tend to get crushed up into powder very easily. It's hard for them to consume it all. I have 3 birds who are all on different pellets and there is always a powder left.
Powder left doesn’t mean they didn’t eat right? Could be just left over? Right now we are giving her Roudybush. I usually put a lot of pellet in her bowl. Besides pellet she gets chops+quinoa 2 times a day.

Lokasia

May 13, 2022
Parrots
Kiki the baby quaker
Powder left doesn’t mean they didn’t eat right? Could be just left over? Right now we are giving her Roudybush. I usually put a lot of pellet in her bowl. Besides pellet she gets chops+quinoa 2 times a day.
I saw an interesting tip on YouTube. Weigh the pellets before you give them. Then weigh at the end of the day and assuming they didn't toss a bunch to the floor that should indicate how much was eaten

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Feb 20, 2022
I saw an interesting tip on YouTube. Weigh the pellets before you give them. Then weigh at the end of the day and assuming they didn't toss a bunch to the floor that should indicate how much was eaten
This is what I did when I first brought my parrot home - it worked pretty well!

Most Reactions