NEED HELP! šŸšØ cockatiel pin feather bleeding

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
Hello! I have a male cockatiel named Kiko, who is around 8-9 months old.

I have some concerns regarding his molting and pin feathers. Kiko is molting at the moment, and as of now I only see 2 pin feathers on his right wing. I call his right wing his ā€œbadā€ wing, because every time he gets hurt or has any issues itā€™s with that one wing.

Every time Kiko is flying a bit far, or for example, flying from his cage down, his pin feather starts to bleed. I donā€™t think this is normal. I THINK that one of those pin feathers are damaged from the tip and everytime he is flying too much it starts to bleed again. The bleeding stops and he goes back to normal within a few minutes, but it is still scary because birds canā€™t afford to lose a lot of blood.

Today, we sprayed Kiko with water and after a little bit we put him on top of his cage so he can eat. He randomly decided to fly down on the ground, and then the bleeding started again. I donā€™t know the situation of the wing right now, because he will not let me take a look, but he is slowly feeling better. Since he was wet, the water mixed with the blood and dripped down. I am pretty sure he is not bleeding a lot and the blood is just mixed with the water, making it look like a lot because the blood looks very light in colour. Usually his blood is a dark red.

I know this is going to be a frequent issue with his molting journey. Kiko is quite rough on his feathers and damages them a lot.

Should I be worried or is there something I can do about this? I donā€™t like to see him in pain. Even though the bleeding stops and he goes back to normal, itā€™s still painful to see the blood of my Kiko :(

Thanks to anyone who replies to this! šŸ’•

OP
SafamirzašŸ¤

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
Hello! I have a male cockatiel named Kiko, who is around 8-9 months old.

I have some concerns regarding his molting and pin feathers. Kiko is molting at the moment, and as of now I only see 2 pin feathers on his right wing. I call his right wing his ā€œbadā€ wing, because every time he gets hurt or has any issues itā€™s with that one wing.

Every time Kiko is flying a bit far, or for example, flying from his cage down, his pin feather starts to bleed. I donā€™t think this is normal. I THINK that one of those pin feathers are damaged from the tip and everytime he is flying too much it starts to bleed again. The bleeding stops and he goes back to normal within a few minutes, but it is still scary because birds canā€™t afford to lose a lot of blood.

Today, we sprayed Kiko with water and after a little bit we put him on top of his cage so he can eat. He randomly decided to fly down on the ground, and then the bleeding started again. I donā€™t know the situation of the wing right now, because he will not let me take a look, but he is slowly feeling better. Since he was wet, the water mixed with the blood and dripped down. I am pretty sure he is not bleeding a lot and the blood is just mixed with the water, making it look like a lot because the blood looks very light in colour. Usually his blood is a dark red.

I know this is going to be a frequent issue with his molting journey. Kiko is quite rough on his feathers and damages them a lot.

Should I be worried or is there something I can do about this? I donā€™t like to see him in pain. Even though the bleeding stops and he goes back to normal, itā€™s still painful to see the blood of my Kiko :(

Thanks to anyone who replies to this! šŸ’•
Also something about stopping the bleeding. Am I supposed to stop his bleeding RIGHT away, or do I wait to see if it stops on its own? Because the bleeding is never constant and bleeding for a long time, it just stops on its own.

Also, is cornstarch/flour better than styptic powder? (I use styptic.)

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Feb 20, 2022
Styptic powder has a chemical that stops bleeding a little faster than flour or cornstarch but it can sting.

If this feather keeps breaking open he probably needs it removed :( I haven't removed a broken blood feather myself so I would go to a vet. A new feather should come back in that spot after this one is removed, if he's still molting.

KingaRoo

Aug 27, 2022
Oregon
Parrots
Kingsley(Pineapple Green Cheeked Conure), Ricky Roo(Red Crowned Kakariki), Oscar (Yellow & Green budgie -PASSED OCT2023), Vincent (White and blue Budgie)
Corn starch

Most Reactions

Latest posts