need help deciding on a cage

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
So I've been really trying to save up money to get Lincoln a new cage but now I am just stuck on which cage to get.
His current cage is 32"height x 32"Length x 23"width. I want a cage around that size or bigger. These dimensions are also JUST for the cage. Not the stand or playtop. Its from flat top to grill. So it also doesn't include the newspaper tray. It would be roughly 40"h including the newspaper tray. Here are some cages I've been looking at and I want to know what you guys think / if you have any experience with these models.

Name: AE Large Square Playtop Cage 40x30
Price: $459
Exterior Dimensions: 75''h x 40''L x 30''w
Interior Height: 47"
Pros: Larger than current cage, AE has come recommended to me, I like the little hanging thing on the playtop, I like playtops (and so does Lincoln)
Cons: I don't know if the seed tray comes off. Unsure if bar width for playtop ladders will hurt Lincoln's feet as they look really thin.

--

Name: Prevue Large Pagoda Parrot Cage
Price: $289
Exterior Dimensions: 61''h x 36''L x 27.5''w
Interior Height: Not listed.
Pros: I like the top newspaper tray, playtop is always a plus too.
Cons: Interior height isn't listed, not sure if seed tray is removable, was told by a friend they didn't like prevue but didn't exactly say why, only 2 interior bowls.

--

Name: King’s Cages 306 European Style Napoleon Top
Price: $599 ($649 on King's Cages website)
Exterior Dimensions: 72"h x 38"L x 28"w
Interior Height: 59"
Pros: Big. Reputable seller, highly recommended seller. Secure lock. Removeable seed catcher. Breed box door (which I wouldn't use for a breeder box, I am sure other things can go there)
Cons: Expensive, especially buying directly from King's cages and I'm not sure why there's such a big price difference. No play top / not a fan of the weird domed top.

--

Name: Play Pen Bird Cage
Price: $474
Exterior Dimensions: 69"h x 32"L x 23"w
Interior Height: 30.5"
Pros: LOVE the playtop. Reputable / recommended seller.
Cons: Unsure of seed catcher comes off.

--

Name: Lani Kai Lodge Playtop Large Bird Cage
Price: $359
Exterior Dimensions: 64"h x 32"L x 22"w
Interior Height: 35"
Pros: Recommended, similar to Lincoln's current cage. Top newspaper tray. Removable seed catcher.
Cons: Unsure about door latches.

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
small bump?

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
I personally like the first and last cages! Great selection though all look like good choices.

Because Lincoln likes play stands, I would eliminate the big expensive King's cage one. The Play pen bird cage doesn't seem to have a lot of inside-cage room compared to the other ones (in the pictures anyway). In the Prevue cage the stand looks super steep to climb up onto, but that's the only reason I wasn't fond of that one, still is actually pretty good.

TiredOldMan

Apr 24, 2018
Media
South Central Texas
Parrots
CAG Hen-Gracie age unknown, U2 Rooster-Anakin 13YO
So I've been really trying to save up money to get Lincoln a new cage but now I am just stuck on which cage to get.
His current cage is 32"height x 32"Length x 23"width. I want a cage around that size or bigger. These dimensions are also JUST for the cage. Not the stand or playtop. Its from flat top to grill. So it also doesn't include the newspaper tray. It would be roughly 40"h including the newspaper tray. Here are some cages I've been looking at and I want to know what you guys think / if you have any experience with these models.

Name: AE Large Square Playtop Cage 40x30
Price: $459
Exterior Dimensions: 75''h x 40''L x 30''w
Interior Height: 47"
Pros: Larger than current cage, AE has come recommended to me, I like the little hanging thing on the playtop, I like playtops (and so does Lincoln)
Cons: I don't know if the seed tray comes off. Unsure if bar width for playtop ladders will hurt Lincoln's feet as they look really thin.

--

Name: Prevue Large Pagoda Parrot Cage
Price: $289
Exterior Dimensions: 61''h x 36''L x 27.5''w
Interior Height: Not listed.
Pros: I like the top newspaper tray, playtop is always a plus too.
Cons: Interior height isn't listed, not sure if seed tray is removable, was told by a friend they didn't like prevue but didn't exactly say why, only 2 interior bowls.

--

Name: King’s Cages 306 European Style Napoleon Top
Price: $599 ($649 on King's Cages website)
Exterior Dimensions: 72"h x 38"L x 28"w
Interior Height: 59"
Pros: Big. Reputable seller, highly recommended seller. Secure lock. Removeable seed catcher. Breed box door (which I wouldn't use for a breeder box, I am sure other things can go there)
Cons: Expensive, especially buying directly from King's cages and I'm not sure why there's such a big price difference. No play top / not a fan of the weird domed top.

--

Name: Play Pen Bird Cage
Price: $474
Exterior Dimensions: 69"h x 32"L x 23"w
Interior Height: 30.5"
Pros: LOVE the playtop. Reputable / recommended seller.
Cons: Unsure of seed catcher comes off.

--

Name: Lani Kai Lodge Playtop Large Bird Cage
Price: $359
Exterior Dimensions: 64"h x 32"L x 22"w
Interior Height: 35"
Pros: Recommended, similar to Lincoln's current cage. Top newspaper tray. Removable seed catcher.
Cons: Unsure about door latches.

Okay you asked for it:D

The Prevue is the first one to go because of quality, construction, and strength. Also the one I have the finish is sub par to other brands. Only 2 bowls.

Lani Kai is next. don't know who actually makes it. It might be a great cage but your not gaining any size.

Kings Napolean. You have already stated you don't like the top and I agree with you. King's cages are usually decent cages but why buy something you don't like?

Kings playtop. Still not gaining size however Kings has a 40x30 playtop.

That leaves the 40x30 A&E playtop. A&E is usually decent quality.

You might also look at HQ cages. Centurion Cages used to sell A&E but now sell HQ.

Also you might look at My Bird Store - Discount Exotic Bird Supplies - mybirdstore.com their prices are inline with other places. However sometimes if you watch their sales you can get 15-25% off on cages with free shipping. They run different sales on weekends and during the week.

Of course advice is only worth what you pay for it and this is just my opinion.:D

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
the last 2 are actually my favorites right now. The Play pen one has the smaller interior height but since Lincoln rarely ever goes into the bottom half of his cage anyways I was okay with that. Other than that the dimensions seem to match the last option length and width wise.

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Last edited:

Caitnah

Mar 24, 2018
Upstate New York
Parrots
GCC Pineapple
I got the exact style like the Kings Cage for my Grey. Reason being is that, although I like the playtops, I like the extra room that the domes give.
I attached a few perches on top of his cage plus he has a playgym right next to his cage.

I really like the extra room that the domes give and he uses every bit of it.

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
King's Cages - Avian and Pet Bird Cages, Supplies, Food, Toys, Perches, Aviaries, Pluck No More

found the 40 x 30 kings playtop you were talking about. I'll probably add it to the list.

While looking at the details on the 40 x 30 it says
"2 - 20 oz Stainless Steel Cups (NO NIPPLE)
• 4 - 30 oz Stainless Steel Food Bowls (NO NIPPLE)"

what does it mean by "no nipple" ??

I think I might get this one. I emailed the company to ask a few questions, including about those "nipples"??? hopefully I hear back soon. Free shipping on things 75$+ on their site too! Which thank God bc shipping that cage would cost a fortune

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Screenshot_20180720-182935.jpg

there we have it

babyboomer1001

Jul 17, 2017
Sunny Arizona
Parrots
Numerous.
My all time favorite cage is by Avian Adventures. They come with and without a play top. If you can get a good used one, you will save money. These cages are designed great - no screws, no nuts or bolts. The parts fit together nicely and they are of high quality. My second favorite would be an A&E or an HQ or a King's Cage - all three in no specific order.

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Looked at avian adventures a bit and the tbh they're rather pricey. Found one close in price to the kings cage playtop 40x30 and it's half the size of the kings cage. Another that had a playtop was still much smaller than the 40x30 and the retail price was double that of the kings cage. Maybe I'm just looking at the wrong site but who knows.

Most Reactions

Latest posts