need help figuring out a name!

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
So the one eyed baby conure that I am hoping to take home has been DNAd as male. I still have no idea what color hes going to be but his down feathers are a darkish grey and his feet and beak are both more of a grey but not as dark as a standard wild type or turquoise would be so I have no idea what coloration he is. Now when i first went into this i was looking at getting a female turquoise mutation and had picked out the name "Aster" but now since plans have changed and i dont feel like Aster would fit this baby. Do yall have any suggestions? I really want a flower/plant themed name but I'm at a loss :(

Kitekeeper

Jun 19, 2021
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Parrots
Budgerigar (Bud), Pacific Parrotlet (Sam), Roseicollis lovebird (BJ and Turq), Linneolated parakeet (Charlie and Emma)
First of all, my admiration for taking home the injured baby.

I would do the same, once I rescued a baby Oriole that was born lacking an eye and the other was completely blind. I loved that bird, such a nice personality!

Regarding the name giving, usually I choose names related to a characteristic. Considering the baby is one eye blind and a male it could be Cecil (masculine form of Cecilia which means blind)

However as you want something related to a plant and flowers, there is a plant called "love plant" (Oxalis triangularis). You could name him Ox as short from Oxalis....and we all know that love is blind.

:)

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
thank you for the name suggestions, it's still not guaranteed that I will be taking him home, the breeder is waiting for feathers to come in to list him for sale but I'm gonna try to get him. so wish me luck on that.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I really hope you can bring him home, he will have an amazing life with you. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
What about a tree name, like Alder or Cedar or Rowan?

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
And he is GREEN. thank you everyone for the suggestions but I think I've decided on Basil or Bay for short
FB_IMG_1629141762687.jpg

Screenshot_20210816-132138_Facebook.jpg

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
Perfect name!

Kitekeeper

Jun 19, 2021
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Parrots
Budgerigar (Bud), Pacific Parrotlet (Sam), Roseicollis lovebird (BJ and Turq), Linneolated parakeet (Charlie and Emma)
And he is GREEN. thank you everyone for the suggestions but I think I've decided on Basil or Bay for short
Great to see him so wel!! I liked the name too, keep us posted when you take him home. :)

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
O am so glad you named him before my old man made his suggestions...
Popeye... and Cyclops...

Basil is so ideal!

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
O am so glad you named him before my old man made his suggestions...
Popeye... and Cyclops...

Basil is so ideal!
The breeder currently calls him Mike which is short for Mike wazowski or the one eyed monster from Monsters Inc
if it was a girl my friend suggested Graeae or Grey which are the 3 witches that share an eyeball in Greek mythology (think the witches from hercules)

In some circles basil is also used for protection so I liked that. It's also used for Wisdom and hes gonna be participating in my training schoolwork so hes gotta be ready and smart haha

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts