Need Help please!

jessem101

Jun 9, 2021
15 years ago, I use to own an Blue Conure. 2 years ago I had to go on a deployment, and I couldn't take my bird with me. I ended up giving him to a family friend...

Now that I am retired from the military, I am looking for a new friend (Parrot/Conure). However going through the internet today trying to find one is HORRIFIC!!! Every page i click on seems like a scam...immediately asking me to send money and my bird will be here tomorrow...send it by zelle or cashapp...its bad. I ask them to FaceTime or video chat and to provide credentials and they freak out. I talked with 6 different "breeders" of African Greys and it was all a flop.

Where can I go to view reputable REAL breeders? I refuse to go to local pet shops, they usually get their birds from mills and they usually come with complications. I got my previous blue crown via breeder on the internet and it was a great experience. I currently live in Utah..any and all help will be greatly appreciated!

Jesse

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Hi Jesse and welcome to the forum and THANK YOU very much for your service! :D
I have been owned by parrots for over 30 years now,currently have a 31 yr old Amazon and 5yr old Cockatiel. When my Grey passed away about 5 yrs ago I went looking for another one. just for ha ha's I checked my local craigslist..HUGE mistake! One guy had a "young" grey in my area for $300 with cage and supplies ( that was a warning right there) every town in my area had the same bird listed,quaranteed to be at my house that day. I called the guy and he was in California!..anyway yes there are tons of scammers out there. Google bird breeders,good ones are out there. There is a place called Royal Bird Company in N.C. that ship,the have an awesome website,they have all sorts of birds with parents on site..forth generation Amazons and Greys and 'too's..nnot sure about conures. give 'em a looksie and good luck!

Jim

Justrosie

Nov 28, 2018
African Greys are (in my experience) the most frequently used birds for scammers. They are very popular, and many people know that they are "quieter" than most birds. You will not find a breeder selling these for under 3k-5k, in my personal experience. Owners found in classifieds may be a different story.

Hoobly is a site I will often use for when I am searching for a pet. There are still scams, but Hoobly at least takes the time to notify users who have reached out to confirmed scammers on their site, unlike craigslist.

I would suggest, instead of looking for a bird, looking for a breeder, as this is a more surefire way to avoid scams. There are often species-dedicated websites that will list reputable breeders by state, usually providing a website/email and listing whether or not they ship.

You can also search for rescues in your area—this is highly recommended since rescues will have concrete evidence they are not a scam, such as a brick and mortar building, a website, email, phone number, etc. There are MANY birds that need homes, so if possible, adoption is always suggested! There are many pros and cons to adopting, the biggest con can be not knowing the bird's history, and potential behavior issues that some may not be adept at handling. However, in my experience, rescues are VERY picky about where their birds go, and will do their best to match a bird to you, vs. having you pick a bird that may be too much for you (I say "you" in general, not you specifically)

If you want to know some breeds that are easier to find, both in rescues and from breeders/owners, I would say: budgies, love birds, Green Cheek Conures, Sun Conures, Cockatiels, Bourke's parakeets. These are all relatively small birds that tend to be easy to find.

Bigger birds that are easier to find would be Macaws (although these guys tend to be pretty expensive, breeder/owner alike, and are probably still pretty often used as "bait" for scammers), Cockatoos (these guys often come with behavioral issues, which is why their owner is surrendering them, but they are arguably the most rewarding birds of all), and Eclectus* (I don't see these guys being rehomed very often, but breeders will often have them) Keep in mind that these larger birds require a lot more care than the smaller birds listed above. They need much bigger cages (much more expensive), and oftentimes are much more socially dependent on you as their caretaker to give them the social enrichment they need. (All birds need social enrichment, but larger birds tend to be a lot more dependent, although this isn't true for every species, nor every individual.

Finally, a tip for avoiding scams before even reaching out to them: Oftentimes, the posts will be very vague. They may use the pronoun "they" intermixed with "he" or "she", while speaking about a single bird. They will also not really specify any defining details of the bird, and rather give very vague characteristics. "He is very tame, never screams, and loves to play." Owners will often try to outline some info, positive AND negative/neutral about the bird, because despite rehoming them, they still often want what is best for them lest they repeatedly be rehomed. Quite frequently the photos used are very generic (stolen most times), and will be of two completely different birds of the same species. It can be hard to appreciate this if you are not familiar with the species, but the background of photos can give clues (multiple photos of the same setting, or photos of the bird in seemingly different rooms/cages?)

There are some bird-specific websites that still have scams, albeit less often than sites like craigslist and the like.

Again, I highly recommend searching for rescues in your area, as they are going to be your greatest resource and will never leave you in the dark if you have questions about your bird. They truly want what is best for the bird, and while finding a forever home is important, the bird's welfare takes priority.

Thank you for your service, and congratulations on your search for a new bird! Patience is key with this, as you will have this animal for a VERY long time. Take your time to find the right bird for YOU, and make sure you have all of the appropriate equipment for their care before purchasing/adopting. Keep us updated on your search!

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome Jesse, deeply appreciative for your service!

Excellent advice above, quite a challenge locating reputable sources, particularly with larger parrots. Two markers we use at PF for sleuthing spammers: Advertisement of fertilized eggs for shipment, and reverse Googling images to determine actual vs generic image of named parrot.

Word of mouth is best for locating reputable breeders. At times it becomes necessary to ship a parrot from distant sources. Downside is not having opportunity to establish at least rudimentary bond before selecting.

Another option is adopting from sanctuary. Best Friends is located in Kanab, southwest quadrant of Utah. Pages of available avians: https://bestfriends.org/adopt/adopt-our-sanctuary/birds

OP
J

jessem101

Jun 9, 2021
Thank you everyone for the great advice!

its been an experience needlesss to say...in fact some experiences have been horrific!

i ended up finding a rescue, double yellow headed amazon. scheduling to take him/her to a vet once he or she gets acclimated.

the whole story getting this Parrot, even from pickup was insane......the Parrot industry has changed a TON from the last time i got my companion...15 years ago it was easy to find a decent breeder, too where i can go to his or her house, see the parrot personally then purchase if necessary..now there are so many on classified adds, even the rescues are questionable. i won't go into detail on what i experienced getting this poor guy/gal, but the parrot without a doubt experienced traumatic events!! luckily he ate some fruits and some pellets last night, and isn't afraid to step onto my arm. took a glove out and he freaked out like his life was going to end...definitely seems like the bird was abused. This will take time to trust and make a bond, and i have plenty of it now that i am retired...i just couldn't leave him there in those conditions.

it is what it is, and i strongly suggest for anyone wanting a parrot as a family pet, to go the rescue route first and foremost...no need to purchase another from a mill then in 5 to 6 years give him or her away and contribute to the current problem.

i was shocked by what i experienced...between getting ripped off by scam artist is Africa, to bootleg sites, to mills at pet stores, to unethical rescues...this poor guy will remain with me, and sadly enough he doesn't even scream, yell, or make any noise...its very sad!!! needless to say their lifespans range around 80 years of age...and knowing how many unfavorable experiences he or she may encounter throughout their lifetime is crazy. i know its just a bird, but their intelligence level is through the roof, so i am certain their emotions are as well.

Thank you all again for the assist, it definitely helped...and hopefully **** gets better for these birds. its crazy!

i will be spending some time in the Amazon section to hopefully get some helpful tips to turn this guy around.

-Jesse

Last edited:

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
Oh i am SO glad you have rescued this bird. So many birds suffer in need of good home, and I am sure you will be giving a good home to this one. Thank you!

Most Reactions

Latest posts