Need Help! Possible partner for my quaker?

PapayaTheQuaker

Apr 6, 2020
Florida
Parrots
Quaker -Papaya
Hi!
Papaya is one year and a half old now! Yay! He has come a long way from when he has first arrived but he still is very cage aggressive. I'm about to start grad school and I've been thinking of getting him a possible partner so he won't be lonely, as I will be attending more intense classes and practicums.

I am planning on buying a custom cage that will be ample in space for two Quakers? (I have been thinking, would it be bad if I get another specie such as a conure?). Nevertheless, it will be grand in space, so space won't be an issue.

I'm concerned about his still aggressive tendencies. I don't want him to be alone but at the same time, I don't want him to beat up a new feathery friend. What can I do? I heard that if I get the same-sex bird it will be a lot better for him.

My other concern is, should I remain with two Quakers or am I able to explore to a conure?

Please help!!
:green::green:

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
The general advice for your situation is.
Never buy a bird for another bird.
Buy a second bird for you, there will be no guarantees your birds will ever get along.

That said I have bought Cockatiels for other Cockatiels and it worked out.

And I bought a Green cheek amazon as a partner for my first Green cheek amazon.
This has worked out also (so far) but it took almost 2 years of getting them comfortable with each other before I felt comfortable letting them stay in the same cage.
This was a special circumstance as my first Green cheek was a rescue that may have spent some time with a wild local flock of parrots. I could see it was missing company and felt sure it would work out.

I don't know the temperament of Quaker parrots they are illegal in state of California. I would say that if your bird is already showing cage aggression it will take time and quite possibly a lot of time to get it to work.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
ermmmm....I would not do anything until you figure out the current situation and know that any new bird can further complicate things..
a 2nd bird will not necessarily make him more aggressive--- could actually make it worse (toward either you, or the other bird).

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
quakers are cage aggressive, you work around that, you can't train it out if them. They should still be their normal self away from the cage.

A quaker will not share a cage in ( general ) as they are cage aggressive to the other burd now in the cage with them ....no matter how large the cage.

My two remaining quakers are a female and presumed male, it took them 2 years to be freinds! Once they started acting like mates( regurgitating feeding each other ( I tried to have them share a large cage, one kept the other from eating enough , even tho they didn't fight and acted like a bonded pair. They are back in separate cages and spend time out of the cage together . My adult GCC DNA female i had gotten a DNA male weaned baby quaker they became freinds and mates as in preened each other , feed each other and had sex ( whish that didn't happen) so became a fully bonded pair always side by side but even they could not share a cage the male quaker would drive her to the bottom of the cage and not let her eat. My album shows how lovey they were. But still could not share a cage.

I let my GCC and 2 quakers out together, i wouldn't say they are freinds . They tolerate each other. But i must supervise because squabbles happen and feathers have been pulled out.. but mostly tgey fo their own thing and stay about a foot apart

Many of us here do have multiple burds , usually caged separate, and i think it does inhance their life. But often there is much juggling and out together under supervision, jealous, and extra work and noise. I dont feel comfortable advising you, other than do not expect them to share a cage.

Last edited:
OP
PapayaTheQuaker

PapayaTheQuaker

Apr 6, 2020
Florida
Parrots
Quaker -Papaya
Papaya is the sweetest thing, outside of its cage.

So you recommend having them permanently in two cages? Or after some years do you believe they can unite to one?

As mentioned I am getting a custom cage, and the maker even makes separation walls for when you have multiple birds. I always planned on bringing another feather friend in but I didn't know how to go about it. How to introduce them etc. Any advice on that?
Thank you so much for your reply!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Hi, im up late so saw your post, but to sleepy to type much.

They will likely fight through the cage separation bars, toes could be chewed off....

I feel your love for papya.

You must quarantine any new bird in a separate room. Or risk papyas health from the new one bringing in a disease.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
YES - at least 2 cages..45 day quarantine... make sure you have the time to let them out separately in the event that they do not get along..

I am confused though--- if he is sweet outside of the cage, what is the problem? Why touch him in the cage?

OP
PapayaTheQuaker

PapayaTheQuaker

Apr 6, 2020
Florida
Parrots
Quaker -Papaya
He gets aggressive when I change his water/food and that's when my concern truly came in.
Now I know I need two cages and that makes me feel so much better.

After the 45 day quarantine, how should I introduce both?
I have a playpen, would it be smart to put both of them there? Of course, supervised.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Have you determined gender of the future bird, because that could be huge..

Can't you just get a cage with the swing doors that allows you to replace food without him touching you? The food doors that swing out?

Talven

Banned
Banned
May 4, 2019
Australia
Quakers can be very finicky about partners. They need time to build up a relationship. If they decide that they don't like the other bird no amount of time will help.

Are you prepared to have two birds that can never be housed together? Or can never come out of the cage together?

If you are determined to get another bird go in expecting to have to have two cages permanently. Also having to keep them apart for the rest of their lives. If you are not able/willing to do that then don't get another bird.

If you are prepared to keep them in separate cages and have the time to interact with them individually while the other is caged then sure why not. If they ever get along then it's a bonus.

Better to assume that they won't get along ever and allow for that from the start rather than assuming that they'll get along. That way you won't be disappointed if they don't get along but have the chance for a pleasant surprise if the do.

None of my birds get along with each other AT ALL. My Quaker doesn't like the Conure at all.The feeling is mutual the attack on sight. The Quaker likes to torment the cockatiel and scare her if she is out or it's attack on sight. My Kakariki have bonded but have to be housed by themselves and watched when they are out together. The male will attack anyone, including the female Kakariki, near food. He will attack any other bird if they are out or if he can get to there cage before I can intercept. It's worse here at the moment in Australia as it's breeding season for many birds. For other's their birds all get along fine. Total toss of the coin, a complete gamble to house multiple birds together.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts