Need help urgently with my 6+month old cockatiel!

ChunkyChunky

Sep 6, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
I'm not sure when this injury occured but im guessing around 3am when he had a night fright. i didnt notice until i came back from school, and now im worried that this injry is lethal or something. the blood looks dried but still im worried

Attachments

• IMG_20220906_164545.jpg
    IMG_20220906_164545.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_20220906_164627.jpg
    IMG_20220906_164627.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 47

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Tiels and night fright sadly tends to be more common than with other Parrots. Their crashing into things commonly result in injuries and one should always be concerned and watchful for bleeding which does not stop.

With your's, the bleeding stopped fairly early and has continued to remain dry. That implies that you Tiel is Okay at this time.

I see that your Tiel is suffering from young Tiel lost tail issues. Their high level of activities commonly results in a continue loss of tail feathers. As they become a bit older they tend to stop being so hard on their tail feathers.

OP
C

ChunkyChunky

Sep 6, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
Tiels and night fright sadly tends to be more common than with other Parrots. Their crashing into things commonly result in injuries and one should always be concerned and watchful for bleeding which does not stop.

With your's, the bleeding stopped fairly early and has continued to remain dry. That implies that you Tiel is Okay at this time.

I see that your Tiel is suffering from young Tiel lost tail issues. Their high level of activities commonly results in a continue loss of tail feathers. As they become a bit older they tend to stop being so hard on their tail feathers.
i heard it might be a broken blood feather and that he could die soon, so should i get it removed or is it fine?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Not heard of a Parrot dying from a broken blood feather that had stopped bleeding now hours from when it occurred. Likely they are referring to a blood feather that continues to bleed and the Parrot 'bleeds-out'.

Most Reactions