Need help with bird selection

Evyllchyld

Jul 19, 2007
Hi, I'm new to this forum and this is my first post. Let me start off by giving a little history. Four years ago I went to petsmart and saw a dusky conure for sale. He looked like he was dead (laying on his back with his talons crossed) so I reported him to an employee. They came over and said that no, he always does that. So I started looking at him and held him. For about two weeks I went to the pet store almost every day looking at him and there seemed to be an immediate connection between us two. I did research and he seemed like he would be an excellent pet for me. So I put him on hold for two weeks and had to go every morning or afternoon to hand feed him since he was so young. I brought him home and things were wonderful for the longest time. I would bring him everywhere with me. He never had his wings clipped and I could bring him outside and he wouldn't leave my side. He flew somewhere once but came right back to me. He was never kept in his cage except to sleep(the cage would be open all day so he could be on it, or fly around my room or whatever). Then when I had him for about 2 years, he started screeching non-stop. I literally mean ALL day. At first I thought it was just a phase but I quickly learned otherwise. I've tried everything I could think of, and what others could think of. I've posted on forums for help, and have called everyone in my phone book asking for help. I've tried ignoring it, or rewarding his good behavior only, like being quiet. I tried even all the bad things, like giving him what he wants when he was being loud. I bought him toys all the time to keep him stimulated and I also bought him a HUGE cage thinking that may be the problem. I tried moving him out of my bedroom and into the living room thinking that maybe since I work at home (on my computer in my bedroom) he was used to nonstop attention and that was why. Nothing at all helped the situation. Finally after a year of trying to work on the problem I had a break down one day and just started crying. I was shaking uncontrollably and started getting tunnel vision from high blood pressure. I just couldn't handle it anymore. So the thought that was in my mind for a while finally came to a possible reality, that I had to get rid of my parrot. So I had my mother take him for 2 weeks while I sat and really thought about giving him to another family. I brought him to my mothers for 2 weeks, because I knew with him screeching nonstop that I would w/o a doubt say that he had to go. In the two weeks I read as much as I could on him and still couldn't find anything new to try. So after the two weeks I decided that it would be best if he went to another family.

Its now been just over a year since I got rid of him, and its been the hardest year of my life. I never realized how much I loved him, and my mother the other day said that I was much happier when I had him cause he was truly my best friend. She made the suggestion that I look into getting another parrot, but do a lot more research this time and be prepared. So I come on this forum with an open mind to suggestions on a parrot that would be best suited for me. I also read that sometimes parrots are quieter if they have another parrot to play with. The reason why I didn't try this was because I didn't want to get another one and the problem just getting worse (not that it could) So any suggestions would be great, and I do already know that some people would say that I shouldn't get another one and that a new parrot won't replace the love I had for my old one. But thanks in advance for any suggestions.

-Brian

indigo

May 20, 2007
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Serenity & Pix and their kids Jade & Tango (Peachfaced Lovebirds) and Bonnie (Budgie)
Wow, long posting :) ...

First, welcome Brian. Second, we won't judge you (or at least most of us won't).

The screaming that your baby was doing (in my guess) was sexual maturity perhaps. Could have been behavioral, but really I'm no expert on that kind of thing. Some here though have done the speaking softly method of hushing a screamer ... they hush to hear what you're saying. Worked with my Pix.

As for what other kind of bird would be an option for you, well, it really depends on many things.

How much time do you have for training etc? How much space do you have? What kind of budget do you have for feeding it (bigger the bird, bigger the food bill)? What kinds of birds have you looked into, what ones are you interested in?

Me, I'm a lovebird lover. I think they are a good fit for pretty much everyone. They are goofy, entertaining, friendly, really trainable, don't take up a ton of room, love to spend gobs of time with you (more so if kept in singles) and will give as much to you as you give back to them.

I have, right now, 4 lovebirds (2 are babies - 3 and 2 weeks old) and a budgie. Budgies, while really sweet, can be nippy and independent (Bonnie!). I just think the lovebird is a great size for a little parrot, and just full of clowniness.

Whatever species you concentrate on, the best advise is to do as much research as you can get your hands on and then look for more. Never stop reading and asking and looking for information on your birds' species and never think you won't mess up at some point. We all do. Learn about proper nutrition, vet care, toys, cages and all that for the species you are looking at getting. Also please please please consider a rescued bird. There are so many out there that desperately need a home and they are wonderful souls full of love and life.

Again, welcome!

Oh, and we need pictures ... we're all addicts and proud of it! No 12 stepping for us nope no way! :D

OP
E

Evyllchyld

Jul 19, 2007
Indigo,
Thanks for the quick the response. I wrote a long post because I wanted everyone to know that I took the time to write it and that I'm taking this seriously, I've noticed in the past (on other forums) short posts with not a lot of care got the same response, and the occasional flaming. But anyways, its funny you mention love birds, whenever I look at them I love there look. How friendly are they though? With Little Guy(that was my parrots name because I couldn't think of one so we kept calling him Little Guy and it finally stuck) he loved everything I did with him. He knew when I was going to take a shower, so when I started to goto the bathroom if he wanted a shower he would fly on my shoulder and follow me in. I would sit him in the bottom of the tub and let him run all around the shower and let the water beat on him then when he was done I would put him on a perch that I had taped into the shower. Little Guy wouldn't care what I did to him either, I could grab him like you hold a bird when you are going to clip its nails and I could just carry him like that. I could have him on my finger, and swing my arm like a windmill and he would just hold on and love it. I could wrestle with him and flip him over and he just had a ball. I'm looking for a parrot that is like that. I know this may all seem a bit rough, but I assure you that at no time he was in any danger. When I was working he would sit on my hand that was on the computer mouse and would eat the mouse wheel or he would lay on his back (like he was playing dead) and just fall asleep. I'm looking for a great personality over anything. If you look dusky conures up, or know of them well, they aren't the prettiest birds going lol. I know this would be further down the road, but I always wanted to raise birds so could I buy two love birds and expect them to mate? Thanks again.

-Brian

indigo

May 20, 2007
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Serenity & Pix and their kids Jade & Tango (Peachfaced Lovebirds) and Bonnie (Budgie)
Lovebirds are little crayola clowns. They are more interactive with you if you have them in 1's though (much like any bird I suppose). The whole tale of lovebirds dying if kept in 1's is a bunch of baloney, and if you do get a pair, then they may mate or they may not. I mean if you were told to live in a room with a chick, would you necessarily .... oh, uh, don't answer that lol.

Having baby birds is great fun but they do take more care. If you do end up with two, then please do loads of research SHOULD they mate and have babies. My two baby lovebirds are my other two's babies. My adult pair were not always a pair. I rescued the male and the female kinda selected me. Feel free to look at my other posts (there are links to pictures there too). Having baby birds also comes with allot more responsibility and knowledge. You need to know about (and the pros and cons of) hand feeding vs hand raising, leg splaying, their development, nutrition for mom and dad birds while they are mating and when they have babies, etc etc etc. Lovebird babies are tiny things; about an inch and a half when they hatch. Its a serious thing to learn about beforehand.

As a pet lovebirds are great. They love water (showers), music, cuddling up (mine like to tangle themselves up in my hair - even jade - one of the babies), dancing, they CAN talk but none of mine do, they can learn tricks and all kinds of things. Also they are colorful, and there are so many different mutations and hybrids its crazy so if you want color lovies are color.

Look around at some of the lovebird section posts. Also, I think this is a really friendly forum, not too much nastiness here (or none that I've seen anyways).

Last edited:
OP
E

Evyllchyld

Jul 19, 2007
Indigo,

The whole baby idea would be something in the far future just a general question. Right now is finding the right bird for me. How loud are they? I imagine they aren't too loud considering there size, but then again conures aren't that large of a parrot but they pack a punch. lol Do they squawk or do they sing/chirp?? Also a rough estimate of costs per month for a pair, and for the birds would be great. I'll check back every few minutes. I'm going to peek around the forums a bit.

-Brian

indigo

May 20, 2007
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lovebirds <- a good start.

Are they noisy? Well, they can get loud, but mine are usually quite relaxed and not very loud. I really like their noises though and it doesn't really bother me at all. They are no louder than my budgie, and my male (Pix) is more vocal than my female (Serenity). My birds really dont tend to be that noisy. Mostly when they are excited or out, but thats to be expected. They contact call and "chatter" to each other (and to Bonnie) but overall they aren't loud really. They can GET loud, but mine aren't loud all the time thats for sure. They do get more excited when it is sunny and warm (don't we all!) and are quieter when its not.

They do live upwards of 15 years, so make sure you understand that as well.

Their keep costs varies on what you feed them. A good pellet (Harrison's, Roudybush, KayTee etc) are your best bet for feeding them (I used Harrison's until my financial situation changed and that got to be too expensive). Also there is fresh food (fruit, vegetables, nuts, seeds for treats, chicken - they love it but only cooked plain, birdie bread ...). For Harrison's (the most expensive, and organic, pellets) I'd guestimate at less than $20 a month (I really don't know though as I have always had multiple birds) and then the bits of fresh stuff. My guys eat about 50/50 fresh and not fresh food. They also really like leaves like lettuce (not iceburg / head lettuce though as it gives them diareah and thats not good), broccoli leaves, and anything like that. They also really like pumpkin.

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Hi Brian, and Welcome to our Family. :D

Firstly no one judges anyone here, and secondly while we sometimes disagree with someone we do respect their opinions. :D

I am so sorry you had to re-home your friend, but from reading your post it seems you tried so very hard and long to do what was best for the both of you.

Getting two birds, whilst it could help with the problem of screaming, it could also end up giving you two screaming birds instead of just one. Also just because you've had one screamer doesn't mean you'll get another one, but its something to think very carefully about.

What are you looking for in a bird, would you like them playfull, jokers there are birds out there that are wonderful little things but are so very often overlooked because they don't play around much, I have two species here Bourkes and Linnies, while they are brilliant they have never played with toys but they love ropes and ladders, I have also never had them scream. A lot of people say they are boring because they don't joke about, but they are wonderful little things.

Also I would make sure that if you are getting a bird from a pet store that you go to a reputable one, and make sure the bird looks healthy, always get a health certificate and a vet check, if possible go to a breeder for your bird. Good luck to you and please let us know how you are getting on.

OP
E

Evyllchyld

Jul 19, 2007
ooooh! wikipedia! lol my favorite. but this is what I read:

Potential problems

Lovebirds are very vocal birds, making loud, high-pitched noises. Some make noise all day, especially during the first morning hours.

^^^^ not a good start. But are they loud in compared to other birds? and is it just loud chirping/singing/chatter? or annoying squawking cause I absolutely LOVED when Little Guy whistled and made sounds. But when it came to squawking I couldn't handle it. Also, how trainable are they?? I'm trying not to get excited but its hard not too lol. I don't wanna get let down cause they are too loud. So i'm trying to answer that first.

indigo

May 20, 2007
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
My lovies sort of chatter to themselves and to eachother and me. Yes, they can get quite noisy, but then again I have a flock of birds and not just one and when one gets going they all join in lol. My guys do not go on all day, but some might. I think its a personality thing to be honest. One thing that keeps my guys occupied is rearranging their cage and or adding / removing toys etc. Also, when they get out of their cage more, they are not as bored. Mind you, when they are out they tend to chirp and such as well. But still, I have a flock, and have only had two or more birds as a time.

I have heard lovebirds be described as big parrots stuffed into little bodies and really I must agree. They have HUGE personalities. Even my eldest baby Jade, who is presently just over three weeks old, has a bigger than life personality emerging. I expect Tango to as well (my 2 week old baby).

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
especially during the first morning hours.

Think your gonna find that with a lot of birds, morning and evening is usually the favourite time here for my lot to get louder. :eek:

OP
E

Evyllchyld

Jul 19, 2007
Well, I just had the great idea to look on youtube.com to find out how noisy they are and came across videos with them making sounds that I was afraid of. You are right, then can get VERY loud from what it seems and its just not what I'm looking for, who knows maybe there isn't a parrot I can get that isn't extremely loud. I'm not going to shy away from the lovebirds just yet, but it doesn't seem too promising. I'll keep looking though!

-Brian

indigo

May 20, 2007
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Its an individual bird thing I think and yes, what Peta said ... morning and evening is common times for birds to "speak up"

OP
E

Evyllchyld

Jul 19, 2007
Yeh, when I had my old parrot when he was doing his normal noises it was during the morning and at night. I have no problem with that, I just don't want the same thing to happen that did with my previous parrot. So I'm doing a lot more research this time around to make sure I get the right one.

OP
E

Evyllchyld

Jul 19, 2007
Peta,

I apologize, I overlooked your first post. I'm looking for a bird(s) that will play around with me. For example, Little Guy would run under the blankets I was laying under, and turn around and peek just his head out and lay there next to me while I was laying there he'd also hide under my pillows or in my shorts if i were sitting down. I want a parrot that wants to be with me whenever I want it to, but when hes in his cage he can keep himself entertained. That's what I was also entertaining the idea of possibly getting two birds. So that it would be like a group of 3. The two birds and myself, so when I'm not able to play with them or give them attention they can keep themselves entertained.

-Brian

indigo

May 20, 2007
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
You cannot force any animal to be exactly what you want Brian. You must want what the bird can be for you. To be honest it sounds like you are still drunk with love for Little Guy. No animal will perform on command 100% of the time. What you are not hearing is that any bird will play with you. It just depends on how. I think you really need to consider if you are ready for a new bird. It sounds like you are wanting to replace Little Guy and will judge all other birds against him. Please don't think I am being critical, but please really think about this. No two birds are alike. They may have similarities, but they are all their own bird. Any bird you get, please don't expect him to be Little Guy. Accept him for the bird he is, not for what you want to make him into. Both you and your bird will be happier.

OP
E

Evyllchyld

Jul 19, 2007
Indigo,

By no means do I expect him to be like Little Guy, just a outgoing personality that likes to play. The only thing I really need of a new bird is that it like human contact, lots of attention and that its not extremely loud. My mom suggested maybe a parakeet, and for me thats not the right type of bird because although they can love you I just don't think its nearly as much affection as a parrot shows. From my experience anyways.. My parents have always had parakeets when I was growing up and only one of them really like to be perched on a shoulder or finger.

-Oh yeh, I did notice that it was definitely coming off that I wanted any new parrot to be exactly like Little Guy was. I was just giving examples of the type of things I'd like a parrot to do but not needed and maybe other people reading could make suggestions and point me in the correct direction while I further my research.

Last edited:
OP
E

Evyllchyld

Jul 19, 2007
Well, don't I look dumb lol. I never thought of them as parrots, but not birds either... I guess just parakeets. Guess thats my new something for the day!

indigo

May 20, 2007
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parakeet

"Although it is very often associated with such ; the word Parakeet is not a single species' name but a qualitative word describing a type of Parrots.

Parakeet means small long-tailed Parrot and always replaces the word Parrot in each & every Parrot species displaying tail feathers longer than half of their bodie's lenght. By default each & every short-tailed Parrot species are described as being Parrots."

Someone seriously needed to run a spell check before hitting submit on that one but yah, thats a good description I suppose. Also ...

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/parakeet

"any of numerous small, slender parrots, usually having a long, pointed, graduated tail, often kept as pets and noted for the ability to mimic speech: several species are endangered."

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts