Need help with eclectus parrot

Supaoskd

Mar 20, 2022
Parrots
Apollo, around 3 months old
Male Eclectus Parrot
I got a 4-month-old Eclectus parrot a week ago. He was clipped when we brought him home. He's quite active, so I assume he is getting used to the new surroundings which is a good thing. For the past few days, I unlocked the cage door to see if he wanted to get out and explore but he didn't and kept playing with his toys. (I also wanted to let him know that I was doing arm by quietly sitting next to his cage at a safe distance) He unexpectedly climbed out of the cage this morning while I was giving him breakfast. The next thing I knew, he was standing on top of his cage. He tried to fly away for 2 twice and fell to the floor. Then he climbed back up to the top of the cage and boom, stuck there like he was on a small island. I didn't know what to do and I couldn't get him to step up since he was and still is afraid of hands. I also tried using a wooden stick to get him to step up but no use.

I'll try to prevent him from getting out of the cage again before he learns to step up.

How do I gain his trust?(He keeps forgetting who I am) If he escapes again, how do I put him back in his cage without toweling him? (He has no idea how to get down from the top of the cage, so I had to use the towel to make sure he didn't injure himself.)

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
2 female budgies i have a green named tofu she is 1 years old(she turned one years old in April) and i have a blue budgie named sky she is the younger one she is younger then tofu by a few days
Answer for your first question
this thread has good tips on trust
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Answer for your second question
idk because that he cant even go inside by himself i think the only method you have is toweling until you earned his trust you can recall and target train when you earned his trust
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
hope this helps!

Most Reactions

Latest posts