Mya the ringneck

Mar 30, 2024
Media
Texas
Parrots
Indian Ringneck(Mya)
African Greys(Curly)(Sydney)
Galah Cockatoo(Max)
Mya, my ringneck, is becoming a lot more mean, in the fact that she keeps on biting me and other people in my family, like my sister who came into town today. My sister walked in the door and my bird was right there, so my sister went to pick her up (which she has done plenty of times before with no problems) and Mya bit her hard on the finger. I didn't think too much of it because I was laughing.

Then i came to realize that she has been biting me more in the past few days than she has the whole time i have had her. Today was a bad day though. She bit me hard a couple of times so she went into time-out.

I was wondering if anyone could feel me in on what is going on with her.
Is it hormones acting with her?
Is something wrong?
Like i dont understand what is wrong!
She has never been like this.

Woodster66

Nov 11, 2020
Media
Mya, my ringneck, is becoming a lot more mean, in the fact that she keeps on biting me and other people in my family, like my sister who came into town today. My sister walked in the door and my bird was right there, so my sister went to pick her up (which she has done plenty of times before with no problems) and Mya bit her hard on the finger. I didn't think too much of it because I was laughing.

Then i came to realize that she has been biting me more in the past few days than she has the whole time i have had her. Today was a bad day though. She bit me hard a couple of times so she went into time-out.

I was wondering if anyone could feel me in on what is going on with her.
Is it hormones acting with her?
Is something wrong?
Like i dont understand what is wrong!
She has never been like this.
Has she started to moult at all?
Birds get real cranky when they come into a moult, in fact some birds in the wild will bugger off into a cave somewhere out the way of everything.
Also it's coming into spring now when birds start to look for a mate, so hormons will also play a part!

Keet_Krazy

Feb 19, 2023
Parrots
Budgies:
Obsidian (M), Snowflake (F), Sunbeam (F), Emelia (F, English), Alinta (F, Bush), Mahlee (M, Bush), Moonstone (M)
Galah:
Quarter (Not DNA'd)
Other:
Quail and Chickens
How old is she? How long have you had her? And how do you normally interact with her?

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
How old is she and have there been any changes in environment?

Also, do you usually give her “time-out” when she bites? That could be contributing to the issue because she’s learning that she only needs to bite someone in order to return to her cage.

OP
Mya the ringneck

Mya the ringneck

Mar 30, 2024
Media
Texas
Parrots
Indian Ringneck(Mya)
Galah Cockatoo(Max)
How old is she and have there been any changes in environment?

Also, do you usually give her “time-out” when she bites? That could be contributing to the issue because she’s learning that she only needs to bite someone in order to return to her cage.
she does not get time out

OP
Mya the ringneck

Mya the ringneck

Mar 30, 2024
Media
Texas
Parrots
Indian Ringneck(Mya)
Galah Cockatoo(Max)
Has she started to moult at all?
Birds get real cranky when they come into a moult, in fact some birds in the wild will bugger off into a cave somewhere out the way of everything.
Also it's coming into spring now when birds start to look for a mate, so hormons will also play a part!
she is not molting or looks to be starting a molt, and she is quite young so i dont know, can they have hormone problems at a little over a year of age.

Most Reactions

Latest posts