Need help!

damiensilveira

Feb 12, 2022
Parrots
Scarlet Macaw
We are relocating out of the country and I need to find a home for my 25-year-old scarlet macaw. He has been with me since he fledged. He has been my baby for almost half my life. I thought I had a family member that was going to take him, but they are concerned that he is too much bird for them. We have been back and forth a number of times to our new home abroad a few times and each time we return I have found him plucking. Now if he gets angry at me for whatever reason, he bites at his chest feathers just because he knows it irritates me. I don't want to rehome him but I also know that he deserves more than a part-time dad and we are in the process of making it a full-time move so I know in my heart it is time to find him someone that can love him as much as I have for so long.

His name is Yeltsin. The breeder named him that because he has a few yellow-tipped feathers on his nape. I call him Yeltsin-Meltsin when we are playing and he says that and responds to that name so I would ask that if someone is interested in adopting him that you would keep his name. He is a great bird and needs a great family. Diet-wise he is eating pellets and has his entire life.

If you are interested, please let me know. We are in North Georgia and we leave for our next trip on March 7th.

Attachments

• IMG_0374.JPG
    IMG_0374.JPG
    377 KB · Views: 75

JSpeckhart

Nov 7, 2020
Altoona, PA
We are relocating out of the country and I need to find a home for my 25-year-old scarlet macaw. He has been with me since he fledged. He has been my baby for almost half my life. I thought I had a family member that was going to take him, but they are concerned that he is too much bird for them. We have been back and forth a number of times to our new home abroad a few times and each time we return I have found him plucking. Now if he gets angry at me for whatever reason, he bites at his chest feathers just because he knows it irritates me. I don't want to rehome him but I also know that he deserves more than a part-time dad and we are in the process of making it a full-time move so I know in my heart it is time to find him someone that can love him as much as I have for so long.

His name is Yeltsin. The breeder named him that because he has a few yellow-tipped feathers on his nape. I call him Yeltsin-Meltsin when we are playing and he says that and responds to that name so I would ask that if someone is interested in adopting him that you would keep his name. He is a great bird and needs a great family. Diet-wise he is eating pellets and has his entire life.

If you are interested, please let me know. We are in North Georgia and we leave for our next trip on March 7th.
Very beautiful! Info please.

D

Deleted member 42416

Hi Damien

It seems like it would be very difficult to give up this beautiful baby you have raised for 25 years! There was a member who recently posted the ā€œprocessā€ for moving with your bird internationally. Please consider thisā€¦sounds like it would be the best solution for both you and your birby! Here is the post:

OP
D

damiensilveira

Feb 12, 2022
Parrots
Scarlet Macaw
Hi Damien

It seems like it would be very difficult to give up this beautiful baby you have raised for 25 years! There was a member who recently posted the ā€œprocessā€ for moving with your bird internationally. Please consider thisā€¦sounds like it would be the best solution for both you and your birby! Here is the post:

We can't do that our house in France is too small there is no room for him.

D

Deleted member 42416

We can't do that our house in France is too small there is no room for him.
Oh, I am so sorry. This must be very difficult. What state do you live? Surely, there will be an experienced member close by that is able and willing to adopt.

D

Deleted member 42416

It breaks my heart, but I want what is best for him. Georgia.
Oh, surely there must be a way!

But if not, please make sure the person you choose is not ill-intentioned. I have learned from this forum that bird flipping is a huge business. I suppose another avenue is to actually ask your avian vet. Chances are they know someone who would love to adopt your bird, and much more likely to be reliable parront than any perfect stranger.

CristyHead

Mar 5, 2022
Parrots
We live in Upstate South Carolina and are a bird friendly home with 1 parrot. Understand what a tough decision this is. Any info as to rehoming, preference to men/women, ect... He is beautiful. Hope he finds the perfect home regardless.

Most Reactions