Albums
Parrots
Budgies - Sprite & Marshmallow

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
Not sure if this is in the right place, but I'm looking for a carrier for my two budgies. I found these three that I think look good, but I want some more opinions. Does anyone have any experience with these? Which one is the best?

https://www.amazon.com/Parakeets-Co...DNZM/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/ABONERY-Port...092J3PDSQ/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

https://www.amazon.com/Travel-Carri...093G5Y17F/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Amongst these three, the Only one I'd consider is the middle one,
https://www.amazon.com/ABONERY-Port...092J3PDSQ/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8 .
The reason is, this is the only one with a method to provide water and food, and a roll-down cover to provide shade if needed or for a scared bird. The other two do Not have a built in method for either.

If you get this one, you may need to find a way to block the holes without blocking them. That is, they are large enough that a frightened parakeet might try to stuff itself thru one, and injure itself in that way.

The carrier I actually use is this one: petsfit carrier
The holes are similar size, but located at top, so less tempting to a small bird. Nonetheless, I actually braided twine and wove it through the holes. It blocks them partially, but does not block the airflow, and also serves as a loop from which to hang things. (I'm not sure if it would be a good idea, if the holes & twine were lower, within easy reach of a curious beak.) My sun conure prefers a spiral perch, so I hooked a spiral perch from the twine braid, and she loves to travel in this case.

However I have also used it to transport my budgies Calliope and Jefferson, both singly and together, and they have clearly felt safe within it. Granted it seems a bit large when you think of it as a carrier for parakeets. But they were clearly happy inside it. So, I would recommend that one for your birds also.

Again, though, of the 3 you mention, the Second One looks pretty good. It has attachment for water bottle and food dish, and has attached roll-down covers. But, make sure to find a safe way to partially block those air holes (while still allowing air through).

Last edited:
OP
Inko-ai

Inko-ai

Oct 11, 2021
Media
Albums
Parrots
Amongst these three, the Only one I'd consider is the middle one,
https://www.amazon.com/ABONERY-Port...092J3PDSQ/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8 .
The reason is, this is the only one with a method to provide water and food, and a roll-down cover to provide shade if needed or for a scared bird. The other two do Not have a built in method for either.

If you get this one, you may need to find a way to block the holes without blocking them. That is, they are large enough that a frightened parakeet might try to stuff itself thru one, and injure itself in that way.

The carrier I actually use is this one: petsfit carrier
The holes are similar size, but located at top, so less tempting to a small bird. Nonetheless, I actually braided twine and wove it through the holes. It blocks them partially, but does not block the airflow, and also serves as a loop from which to hang things. (I'm not sure if it would be a good idea, if the holes & twine were lower, within easy reach of a curious beak.) My sun conure prefers a spiral perch, so I hooked a spiral perch from the twine braid, and she loves to travel in this case.

However I have also used it to transport my budgies Calliope and Jefferson, both singly and together, and they have clearly felt safe within it. Granted it seems a bit large when you think of it as a carrier for parakeets. But they were clearly happy inside it. So, I would recommend that one for your birds also.

Again, though, of the 3 you mention, the Second One looks pretty good. It has attachment for water bottle and food dish, and has attached roll-down covers. But, make sure to find a safe way to partially block those air holes (while still allowing air through).
Okay, thank you very much! I ordered the second one. I'll see what I can come up with to block those holes.

bill_e

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Dec 24, 2015
New Hampshire
Parrots
Nike a Hawk Head Parrot (Deroptyus accipitrinus)
Personally I would not order any of the three. I don't like the plastic windows.
The one that fiddlejen recommended seems fine.

When traveling birds don't need those "windows" and in many cases the less they can see the better. The windows will also allow the carrier to heat up.

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
I have the last one for my cockatiel and conure. it would be pretty big for a budgie

OP
Inko-ai

Inko-ai

Oct 11, 2021
Media
Albums
Parrots
Personally I would not order any of the three. I don't like the plastic windows.
The one that fiddlejen recommended seems fine.

When traveling birds don't need those "windows" and in many cases the less they can see the better. The windows will also allow the carrier to heat up.
The windows in the second one can be covered. Also, only one side has the plastic, so the other three sides allow for ventilation. I looked at several carriers where the reviews said that it got hot inside, but no one said that about the one I got.

Most Reactions

Latest posts