Need new oven

Lsmd

Jul 4, 2021
Michigan
Parrots
Pineapple green cheek conure
I have lost my last birds and think it was due to our gas oven. We had the gas company and GE come out twice and they found nothing wrong. We baked this morning and my baby had to be rushed to the emergency vet. He is doing ok for now. Needless to say I am getting rid of my range. It?s only 3 years old but I am afraid of using it even after I was told it was safe. Does anyone have any recommendation for an oven without pfoa/ptfe? GE told me this did not, but at this point I am finding that hard to believe

TIA

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
The gas range (stove and oven) combination has been a long standing design and very little has been done to change it and that includes adding coatings. The danger in ovens is the cleaning cycle which places large amounts of dangerous gases into the kitchen area and home and they should never be used as that cycle is also responsible for home fires.

The normal operation of an oven should not produce enough dangerous gases to kill. But, a smaller room, little or no ventilation and problems can develop. The lack of ventilating fans in kitchens has long frustrated me and without an exterior vent, dangerous gases can occur.

Spend your money on a high quality kitchen venting fan and make every one much happier. If you live in an apartment, that does not have a real ventilation fan, move!!

OP
L

Lsmd

Jul 4, 2021
Michigan
Parrots
Pineapple green cheek conure
I have a vent on the microwave, but it doesn’t vent to the outside. My other bird was 13 years old and we had this stove 3 years before he passed.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Very sorry to know you lost a bird and have one sick, possibly from oven out-gassing. Most manufacturers tip-toe around "proprietary" coatings and construction, leaving the consumer to either guess or use abundance of caution. While any hot temps can release harmful gasses, it is a matter of degree and possibly exponential increase above an arbitrary level. Max temp used for my built-in oven and toaster oven is 350F, with open windows and fan vented to outdoors.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Check that your microwave oven mounts on an outside wall. If it does, there is a kit that an installer can use to convert your microwave to the great outdoors. Yes, it will cost you, but the first time you use it, you will note the improvement.

Most Reactions