Need some direction

DRB

Jan 23, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
Perjo - Female CAG hatch Nov 2015
I'm not chef, but am capable of getting things done via instruction. Not overly creative with what I prepare for Perjo (CAG) but I try.

I need 3 basic chop or slop recipes. I also am one person, so I don't buy in bulk, and obviously a bird isn't going to consume me than their owner. So buying fresh greens is a bit of an issue as I don't eat that much and she cannot consume enough before it goes bad in a few days.

Some ingredients she loves or likes:

bananas
watermelons
apples
nuts (esp pine nuts)
peppers
snap peas
carrots
beets
red skin taters
celery
baby spinach
eggs
sunflower kernels
dried veggies like peas and corn

Also would like to incorporate good oils in some chops as well.

OP
DRB

DRB

Jan 23, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
Perjo - Female CAG hatch Nov 2015
I guess what I'm looking for is what goes together well, not just in terms of taste (that's totally subjective) but in terms of balance and maybe not so sloppy. If the latter is even possible.

I was thinking of rolling some banana slices into broken up pine nuts.

Also balanced regarding what keeps well, and could last in a fridge for a day and half.

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
I'm not chef, but am capable of getting things done via instruction. Not overly creative with what I prepare for Perjo (CAG) but I try.

I need 3 basic chop or slop recipes. I also am one person, so I don't buy in bulk, and obviously a bird isn't going to consume me than their owner. So buying fresh greens is a bit of an issue as I don't eat that much and she cannot consume enough before it goes bad in a few days.

Some ingredients she loves or likes:

bananas
watermelons
apples
nuts (esp pine nuts)
peppers
snap peas
carrots
beets
red skin taters
celery
baby spinach
eggs
sunflower kernels
dried veggies like peas and corn

Also would like to incorporate good oils in some chops as well.

The beauty of making a batch of chop is that it is efficient in terms of your time and works out more cost effective than daily productions IMO. You can hide ingredients that Perjo would normally turn her beak up at. Are the taters Sweet Potato as wouldnt normally add the white potatoes that we eat. Eggs shouldn't be incorporated into chop but we had a recent post where scrambled eggs had peppers etc in it. http://www.parrotforums.com/parrot-food-recipes-diet/62277-breakfast-morning.html. A food processor is great for the prep but a grater will also work.

Bear in mind that adding fruit to the chop will make it very wet (and not keep so well) so I would offer fresh fruit as a separate dish. Happy cooking.

Have a look through the food section if not already done for some ideas. :)

Last edited:

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
I make a chop for my fids and like plimsmum2005 shared, you make it, portion it, freeze it and when you serve it, just add some fresh items. I don't cook often so I will heat up chop, add some fresh items like chopped bell pepper, broccoli, fruit, not all that together but 1 or 2 fresh items. I also treat them later in the day before dinner with fresh fruit or chopped veggies. I work at home and this is something I do to take a break and something other than looking at code on a pic.

When I do cook at home, I will make something the fids can eat with us. They like to eat with us. I do use a grater for foods that my fids don't like and I have a bullet blender that I use to mush things even finer too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions