Need some help from African Grey owners

TurdMcGurd

Apr 13, 2021
Hello, after wanting a Congo Grey for 30 years I've finally decided to get one. Perfect timing right? Prices are ridiculous compared to a few years ago.... I put a deposit down on an egg/baby back in April and now my future baby is 6 weeks old and looks healthy in the videos I've seen. I'm aware of Bird dust but I came across two videos recently that have me concerned. Can anyone confirm or deny if African Greys are as dusty as these two videos make it seem? Your help would be appreciated.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiIKs5IRA30"]Powder your nose with an African Grey Parrot - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1SzHC4ibQg"]Powder Vs. Oil Based Feathers - YouTube[/ame]

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
Burundi
Parrots
Congo African Grey
Greys are very dusty. We have had greys almost all our lives and the dust is a major issue. It helps to have them misted/bathed regularly (twice a week if not more), clean the cage, dust the area, and if in a place where you can get one, own an air filter. Lots of dusting and cleaning to keep under control but oh, the joy of the grey! Wouldn’t change it for anything. Besides, makes me be a good housekeeper ��

Scott

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I'm quite familiar with the Timneh AG variety and find them similarly dusty as cockatoos, more so than Amazons. Powder can be mitigated to some degree with efficient non-ionizing air filters. Allow a budget for frequent changes if you have allergies.

Lol at first video, that's Jamie McLeod of Santa Barbara Bird Sanctuary, probably with her beloved "Babu." I met her a month ago, amazingly passionate with dynamic personality.

Most Reactions

Latest posts