Need some help with new African Grey please...

Iman

Jan 3, 2022
Parrots
African grey- Casper
We have just bought a new Congo African grey he is only two years old

all is fine
But we are slightly struggling

the biggest problem is getting his attention when out of the cage
All he does is chew on the sofas and we bought lots of toys to mentally stimulate him but he doesnā€™t seem interested

then when we want to get his attention just to put him back in his cage thatā€™s a huge struggle as well

we eventually throw a blancket over him and put him in the cage but he gets a little aggressive that way and tends to bite

maybe we are just taking the wrong route to reaching him becoming tame

any suggestions?šŸ˜Š

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Try luring him to pay attention to you with treats. Birds will do anything for a nut or whatever else they like ;)
Take it slow. Be patient. If he isn't ready to be out of the cage for an extended period of time, keep him closer or in the cage instead.
Target training also helps :)

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Hello!
No don't throw a blanket over him! Set aside the time and patience to teach him to go back to cage on his own. I've taught budgies and quakers do this, and truly it didn't take much time for them to get the hang of it.. use the same phrase every time, some gentle herding, and lots if praise and a huge treat reward and happy dance when they go in. The first time takes the longest and do not get frustrated .

This video shows how you can play and forage together . Foraging is the best way to get them enteraction with objects. Even just messing around sbd getting them to pick stuff up or touch fir a treat is a great start.

Set some places up as his "furniture " with easy to destroy stuff, stuff some pumpkin seeds pr popcorn into objects , get creative. A metal millet holder stuff it full of veggies hunks, hang at beak hight

Do some target training, keep it very short and sweet but repeat through out the day

Last edited:
OP
I

Iman

Jan 3, 2022
Parrots
African grey- Casper
Hi , I need help from some experts pls:)
I have just got my 1st ever pet. I did some research but I need help pls. I was told he was 2 yrs old and that he is a male. Weā€™ve had him for 3 weeks. We are bonding with him slowly and the kids love him. I have a few issues which I need advise on pls!!
1) I am not able to get hold of the previous owner and despite so much effort to ask for the certificates etcā€¦ I am not getting through to him. I ve guven up on getting the paper work from the owner but, can I apply for them somewhere??? And how do I get a ring around his leg cos he does not have oneā€¦. Is it a necessity to have the certificates and the ring???
2) He like to chew on my leather sofas and despite so much effort and a spray (kings cages no chew spray) and sofa covers he still bites them!!! I read online putting a swifter next to the sofa would help but he thinks its a toy and it does not bother him. Any advise on this pls
3) He enjoys being outside the cage and we r having difficulty in putting him back in. Nothing attracts him to the cage, I ve tried all sorts of treats and nuts and we have resorted to purring a baby blanket on him and picking him up gently from behindā€¦

so sorry about the long messageā€¦ I really need help. Thank u all..

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
1. Is a ring really necessary? I've never thought about it but it just...doesn't seem like something you would need? Others may disagree

2. Provide lots of shredding and foraging toys. But know you can NOT solve this problem. Parrots are destructive.

3. Don't scoop him up in a towel! Keep trying and be patient. Let him go in on his own. All birds hate going back once they're out

Skarila

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
2021 Parrot of the Year šŸ†
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
āœ»Csillam the rescued budgie
āœ»Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
āœ»Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
āœ»RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
āœ»RIP -Sunny the budgie
1) I am not able to get hold of the previous owner and despite so much effort to ask for the certificates etcā€¦ I am not getting through to him. I ve guven up on getting the paper work from the owner but, can I apply for them somewhere??? And how do I get a ring around his leg cos he does not have oneā€¦. Is it a necessity to have the certificates and the ring???
not sure where you are from, but in EU you MUST have the documents for AG. they are endangered species and it is required to have the cites papers for them. if i am not mistaken, the legband (as a proof it has been bred in captivity) should be a must, or swap it later with a microchip. my birds never had any issues with their closed legbands.

it's really shady you were sold the bird without any docs.

also please be patient with the bird and don't throw blankets on him! that's a good way to make him hate you and the blankets.... rather try to lure him with yummy foods back into the cage... that being said, keep food in cage Only, don't feed him outside prior when you want him to go back!

Birdgirl24

Dec 2, 2021
North Dakota
Parrots
I have 1 budgie, He is a male both. I have been looking into getting an Eclectus Parrot tho.
something that worked with my budgies when I was training them to go back in the cage if they absolutely would not go. I would put a source of light in the bottom of the cage like a flashlight and turn off all the lights in the room so the cage is the only spot with light. And since it is the only spot with light they will migrate back towards that light. I hope that helps.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
As I understand it if you are in the USA you only need the paperwork if you want to leave the country with the bird.
My CAG was a rescue and had no paperwork

the leg band is for ID but itā€™s not very good.
something about the difference between a closed or open band. Many people remove the band to avoid problems with their bird.

I never had much trouble with getting my Bella back in the cage. But they are SMART. Putting a treat in the cage may work Once or twice, after that they wonā€™t go in cuz they know they will get locked in.
I always tell my bird the truth in plane language.
I tell her ā€itā€™s getting lateā€ and she knows she needs to go back.
sometimes when she is reluctant I tell her ā€œok you can stay out a little longer. Then 1/2 hour later she is willing to go back.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
NO BLANKET - sure way to break any trust bond that may have formed.

Start from scratch, as if you just got the parrot. Stays in cage and start target training to touch a chop stick end for a treat, within the cage. Keep trying different treats until you find his favorite. I use pieces of pine nut, but other nuts can be tried too. Sunflower seeds or other seeds too can be tried for training. Once he learns to touch the chopstick, you can progress to out of cage training. Training tips:

Be consistent - ask for the action or trick the same way every time, so you dont confuse the bird.

Be Immediate - have the treat ready and reward even the smallest movement towards the goal.

Be patient - parrots are stubborn like mules, and their rate of change is GLACIAL compared to our quick monkey brain. And Greys are famous for being stubborn.

If he likes to chew leather, offer him toys that have leather incorporated on them, but should be vegetable tanned leather only.

eliam

Nov 24, 2021
Parrots
Alex - African Grey
Pica & bullie -cockatiels
Hi ,

I am a new owner too , mine also was not really fond of getting on his cage or inside .. I brought him food and toys but nothing kept him there . I saw on Youtube some people adding in their aviaries fresh vegetables hole not chopped .. So i tried I added a hole artichoke and he was so excited about it .. Usually when i add toys he takes days to go near them ... with the artichoke he went immediately and started eating but mostly shredding it .. he loves it ..of course it gets very messy around the cage but this is what made him love his cage so its worth the mess every time... He will be at it for hours ... i also try it with celery, lettuce, cauliflower and broccoli .. he is really excited about it but if i add some chopped celery of lettuce or any other kind of vegetable he is not interested ... i think its because they feel as if there are in the wild and they find something they eat. So try , i hope it will help you ..

Most Reactions

Latest posts