Need things to be handicap accessible for my wing amputee

FieryPhoenix

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
Quaker Parrot Sun Conure
I have two 18 years old: Sun and Quaker. Both were flighted until January, when the Quaker had a wing amputated due to a large tumor on her wing.

I am trying to make their setup handicap accessible. I ordered a ladder but am looking for other ladders that would work specifically for my setup. I want to have the ladder go from the play gym to the standing perch and to the cage, etc. My Sunny happily flies from one spot to the other but as of now if I want Nikki to have access to everything, I have everything near each other. Here is a pic. I lowered the perches so she could climb on them from the play gym. I want to encourage Sunny to fly from spot to spot all while allowing Nikki to be able to move from spot to spot via climbing. I would ideally not want to have the cage and play gym and standing perches so close together obviously, but I am doing that now to accommodate Nikki's needs.
Setup.jpg

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
It is really hard to not have things to close together with a disabled parrot. I have an Ekkie with a broken wing. I just moved but I did have ropes hanging from the ceiling, ladders, and perches everywhere. Otherwise my Ekkie will try to fly to get somewhere, and possibly get hurt. I just always give him access to where he wants to go.

OP
F

FieryPhoenix

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
Quaker Parrot Sun Conure
Yeah I am just looking for a way to help her to get form point A to point B. I have two standing perches and a play gym and their cage. I am not really at liberty to hang stuff from the cealing because we have light fixtures up there and a ceiling fan (which is not in use when they are out.

I have a 32 inch ladder which can fasten to the cage with quicklinks but as for getting the other end attached to the gym or something the quick links won't work as they don't have a wide enough open

Maybe I am overthinking all of this.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Yeah I am just looking for a way to help her to get form point A to point B. I have two standing perches and a play gym and their cage. I am not really at liberty to hang stuff from the cealing because we have light fixtures up there and a ceiling fan (which is not in use when they are out.

I have a 32 inch ladder which can fasten to the cage with quicklinks but as for getting the other end attached to the gym or something the quick links won't work as they don't have a wide enough open

Maybe I am overthinking all of this.
Hi, when I used fireman’s ladders (the wide red ones with rainbow colored rungs) for perches, I added cup hooks on the bottom end of the ladders so I could put them across Lucy’s cage.

I didn’t even have to drill the bottom ends of the ladder. I just tapped a small nail into both sides of the ladder end and pulled the nail out. Then I just screwed the cup hook into the end of the ladder. (That’s what the manufacturer of the ladder used on the top end of the ladder.)

You might find that the flexible ladders which have hooks on both ends work well for your bird. Lucy did not like them, but she had a bad leg, too, so she needed something really steady.

How about using a rope perch or a thick rope to connect things for your Quaker?

Last edited:

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
YOU
ARE
MY
LATEST
HERO!

Thank you for what you're doing... for the bird, and for all of us, who are learning more about what it means to care for a beloved creature.

Thank you!

Wow.

Just... wow.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Some thoughts: my Lucy couldn’t fly because of muscle or nerve damage. She was very anxious about her grip and could nip or hang on with her beak presumably because she thought she’d fall.

Is Nikki having that same situation? Are you getting nipped or dealing with anxiety about her riding places on you?

Lucy liked to ride around in an infinity scarf that I doubled over. I would line it with a paper towel if we were going to be out very long. It helped to keep her warm and I didn’t have to hold her in my hand all the time. I am not sure if Nikki would like to ride in a scarf or if she can hang on ok without that.

Last edited:
OP
F

FieryPhoenix

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
Quaker Parrot Sun Conure
YOU
ARE
MY
LATEST
HERO!

Thank you for what you're doing... for the bird, and for all of us, who are learning more about what it means to care for a beloved creature.

Thank you!

Wow.

Just... wow.

This bird is my hero. She is a walking miracle because the anesthesia caused her to go into cardiac arrest. She took a long time to fully wake up.

I love her more now than when she had two wings. I had her since she was 11 weeks old and she is 18 years old now.

Most Reactions