Need to get out

Theodore Marshall

Feb 17, 2023
Parrots
I have a male and a female lovebird
So, if some of you remember my threads, you'd probably know that one of my lovebirds falls off their perch a lot and climbs the cage

But that's not the only concerning thing, their flight is also poor. It's almost like they can't keep a certain height, although my other lovebird is completely fine flying

Now, to stop my lovebird from falling and possibly getting injured, I have not let them out in some time. But I can't just keep them inside their cage.

How do I let them out, while making sure my lovebird who's flight is poor is also safe? I can't pick them up yet, I've been scared to, because I don't know whether the lovebird with poor flight is healthy and I don't want her to be too stressed.

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
So, if some of you remember my threads, you'd probably know that one of my lovebirds falls off their perch a lot and climbs the cage

But that's not the only concerning thing, their flight is also poor. It's almost like they can't keep a certain height, although my other lovebird is completely fine flying

Now, to stop my lovebird from falling and possibly getting injured, I have not let them out in some time. But I can't just keep them inside their cage.

How do I let them out, while making sure my lovebird who's flight is poor is also safe? I can't pick them up yet, I've been scared to, because I don't know whether the lovebird with poor flight is healthy and I don't want her to be too stressed.
Has she been to an Avian vet?

How poor is her flight ability? Can she land safely or does she fall like a rock?
Sorry for all the questions right together!

OP
Theodore Marshall

Theodore Marshall

Feb 17, 2023
Parrots
She just loses her balance during flight and then falls down like a rock

Either that or she crashes into something

We don't have Avian vets here, we just took them to the vet that we have and he said to give her antibiotics, so we did for a week, nothing changed

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Update: It's gotten worse, she keeps falling off her perch, I don't know how much time she has left.
I’m terribly sorry, she must be more sick than realized.
Could you take her to any available vet?
They could at least provide supportive care to an extent.

If not, I would put her in a small cage or something similar, put a soft towel on the bottom and put her in the cage.
Warm up a water bottle and wrap it in a wash cloth and set it closer to her so she can stay warm.
You should set shallow bowls of water and whatever she will eat next to her.

OP
Theodore Marshall

Theodore Marshall

Feb 17, 2023
Parrots
She eats fine, and a lot at that.
We talked to an overseas vet, he said that there's been more cases recently in which there's some sort of neurological problem. The only other bird we know of who had this is now dead. But we didn't want to believe that ours would also die.

At this point, I kinda just don't want to see her suffer. Constantly falling down. Not singing. Being so inactive, when she used to make so much noise.

We've set a towel under the cage, to cushion her fall. She's not cold, she never shivers, but her legs almost are unable to wrap around the cage.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I’m terribly sorry, she must be more sick than realized.
Could you take her to any available vet?
They could at least provide supportive care to an extent.

If not, I would put her in a small cage or something similar, put a soft towel on the bottom and put her in the cage.
Warm up a water bottle and wrap it in a wash cloth and set it closer to her so she can stay warm.
You should set shallow bowls of water and whatever she will eat next to her.
That's what I did when one of my budgies fractured her femur. Very low perches in a heavily padded plexiglass cage (a large fish tank would do) so she wouldn't climb and wouldn't fall. Food and water on the bottom. One of those seedling electric heating mats under the towel would be good. They don't get very hot- just enough warmth to take the chill off the plant roots.

Most Reactions

Latest posts