Cancel

dsert1st

Jan 25, 2014
Have a Catalina Macaw that needs a new home. Big Bird needs someone to spend more time with him/her. I am 71 yrs old and want to have him rehome while I can. I live in PA. typical Macaw bad habits.. screaming. He likes to walk around on the floor and talking to his stuffed animals. He has a fungus on top of his beak that I have not been able to fix. If you would be interested, I will explain more about Big Bird. Contact me. I am located in between Reading, Allentown, Philadelphia, West Chester, PA

Attachments

• big bird 4.jpg
    big bird 4.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 119
  • big bird 3.jpg
    big bird 3.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 112
  • big bird 2.jpg
    big bird 2.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 118
  • big bird 1.jpg
    big bird 1.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I'm so sorry that you need to rehome your bird, I hope he finds a wonderful new home to take up where you leave off.
It may help if you list your general location.

OP, if you would like us to forward PMs to anyone interested, or If anyone would like PMs forwarded to the OP, please let a Mod know and we would be happy to do that for you. Our names and links to our profiles are below:

@Terry57 @saxguy64 @LaManuka @ravvlet @Cottonoid

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
I used to live in Breinigsville next to Allentown, wish I did now. Have you tried white iodine on the beak? Totally safe for the bird and will kill the fungus.

birdielover15

Oct 2, 2015
Have a Catalina Macaw that needs a new home. Big Bird needs someone to spend more time with him/her. I am 71 yrs old and want to have him rehome while I can. I live in PA. typical Macaw bad habits.. screaming. He likes to walk around on the floor and talking to his stuffed animals. He has a fungus on top of his beak that I have not been able to fix. If you would be interested, I will explain more about Big Bird. Contact me. I am located in between Reading, Allentown, Philadelphia, West Chester, PA
Please if you are still in need of a home for him I would love to discuss it with you.

Last edited by a moderator:

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
Thanks I hope so. Iā€™m close enough and willing to help get this bird the care he needs before it becomes worse. If anyone can get in contact with her please do.
Itā€™s incredible that you are willing to take on an ill parrot. I really hope that they get back to you soon. Youā€™ll have to keep us updated if you ever hear back.

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Thanks I hope so. Iā€™m close enough and willing to help get this bird the care he needs before it becomes worse. If anyone can get in contact with her please do.
Another thought is to check Craigslist, Facebook marketplace, petfinder.com, or birdsnow.comā€¦ maybe this poster also listed the parrot on these websites?!? There may be a contact phone number as well.

birdielover15

Oct 2, 2015
Itā€™s incredible that you are willing to take on an ill parrot. I really hope that they get back to you soon. Youā€™ll have to keep us updated if you ever hear back.
Yes the poster got back to me. Now Iā€™m awaiting response from questions asked of me. I donā€™t have a lot of money for vet care for this bird if he would be in my immediate possession. I have huge cage from when I had a macaw previously. Iā€™m going back to work shortly for the school district. But in the mean time I would have try and raise funds for his care. I just want to help this bird and try to get him fixed up

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Yes the poster got back to me. Now Iā€™m awaiting response from questions asked of me. I donā€™t have a lot of money for vet care for this bird if he would be in my immediate possession. I have huge cage from when I had a macaw previously. Iā€™m going back to work shortly for the school district. But in the mean time I would have try and raise funds for his care. I just want to help this bird and try to get him fixed up
I am so happy that the poster got back to you. You could still contact your local area vets. Most are willing to work with you on payments. @clark_conure may be able to share how to apply white iodine to the beak, and how much. I towel my Ekkie to do his nasal rinses. Once you get the hang of itā€¦ it isnā€™t hard to towel a bird. It makes things a lot less stressful for them until they get used to their medications, or ointments. My vet showed me how to do all of that stuffā€¦ Iā€™m not sure if youā€™ve had to do any of this stuff for your previous macaw.

birdielover15

Oct 2, 2015
I am so happy that the poster got back to you. You could still contact your local area vets. Most are willing to work with you on payments. @clark_conure may be able to share how to apply white iodine to the beak, and how much. I towel my Ekkie to do his nasal rinses. Once you get the hang of itā€¦ it isnā€™t hard to towel a bird. It makes things a lot less stressful for them until they get used to their medications, or ointments. My vet showed me how to do all of that stuffā€¦ Iā€™m not sure if youā€™ve had to do any of this stuff for your previous macaw.
Ok yeah Iā€™ve never had to do payments before but it isnā€™t income tax time when I have more money to spare lol but No Iā€™ve never had to do anything like this with any medications for birds previously. Collars yes for plucking or herbal meds for calming but this is new territory Iā€™m willing to try. The poster said this bird has been to the vet multiple times over the years and medications so I was questioned as to what I could do differently. I thought get a list of what meds used in the past and see what a different vet would think would work.

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Shelters, or rescues have so much to offer as well. You could contact your local ones. They could help you with resources for this parrot. They take on some cases that are pretty dire. They have a lot of connections.

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Ok yeah Iā€™ve never had to do payments before but it isnā€™t income tax time when I have more money to spare lol but No Iā€™ve never had to do anything like this with any medications for birds previously. Collars yes for plucking or herbal meds for calming but this is new territory Iā€™m willing to try. The poster said this bird has been to the vet multiple times over the years and medications so I was questioned as to what I could do differently. I thought get a list of what meds used in the past and see what a different vet would think would work.
I took on a sick Ekkie and I had vet bills that added up to about $3000 in 2 months. He has $100 worth of meds that I refill monthly. He has $50 prescription pellets for his needs that I need refilled every other month. He has gained weight, and is doing better.

I saved $$ because I volunteered at the shelter Nico my Ekkie was at, and the shelter had me come in to spend time with Nicoā€¦ I had an idea that something was wrong. I could tell it wasnā€™t going to be a quick, and easy fix. Just be prepared for these costs dependingā€¦

birdielover15

Oct 2, 2015
I took on a sick Ekkie and I had vet bills that added up to about $3000 in 2 months. He has $100 worth of meds that I refill monthly. He has $50 prescription pellets for his needs that I need refilled every other month. He has gained weight, and is doing better.

I saved $$ because I volunteered at the shelter Nico my Ekkie was at, and the shelter had me come in to spend time with Nicoā€¦ I had an idea that something was wrong. I could tell it wasnā€™t going to be a quick, and easy fix. Just be prepared for these costs dependingā€¦
I completely understand the fees and prepared to do whatever I need to In order to meet the birds needs. I just want the chance to have another bird in my home that needs my help. Yes at income tax time I could just buy a baby macaw but Iā€™d rather use the money to put towards care for one that really needs help now and in the future. Make a difference in some way.

. Iā€™m so glad you were able to figure out what was wrong with your bird. Ekkies are so beautiful.

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
I completely understand the fees and prepared to do whatever I need to In order to meet the birds needs. I just want the chance to have another bird in my home that needs my help. Yes at income tax time I could just buy a baby macaw but Iā€™d rather use the money to put towards care for one that really needs help now and in the future. Make a difference in some way.

. Iā€™m so glad you were able to figure out what was wrong with your bird. Ekkies are so beautiful.
You are incredibly sweet, and caring! I hope you get this Macaw, and can share with us your journey. I am secondhand excited for you.

I would spend my entire savings, and everything I have to save my Ekkie. He is the greatest friend anyone can ask for. Heā€™s kept me going through some really hard times!

Most Reactions

Latest posts