Needing advice πŸ‘

Cm81

Jan 2, 2022
Parrots
Red lored Amazon
Hi everyone 😊 hope someone can advise...Just before Xmas I bought a red lored Amazon 😍 pet shop said he's 20 weeks old (we called him neo) he is amazing very well behaved (mostly) let's you pet him from cage says hello and cheeky boy 😁 yesterday we opened his cage we also have a freestanding perch nxt to cage but he flew out and straight for wall gave me such fright but he was fine...is it to soon for him to be out or just bare with him? Thanks

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Is he skittish? Will he not eat out of your hand? If yes, it might be a bit early to let him out for an extended period of time. If he is scared of you and gets into a dangerous situation, you might not be able to get him out.

OP
Cm81

Cm81

Jan 2, 2022
Parrots
Red lored Amazon
Is he skittish? Will he not eat out of your hand? If yes, it might be a bit early to let him out for an extended period of time. If he is scared of you and gets into a dangerous situation, you might not be able to get him out.
No he's not skittish at all and yes he takes food from my hand after it happened he came straight onto my hand and I put him back in cage I think it scared me more than him to be honest just don't want him to hurt himself. Thanks for a quick reply

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
take him on many tours of the home and tap on walls and windows , and repeat .
Young burd are still learning to fly but they quickly learn walls and windows then when they fly they avoid. Even in a panic mine avoid.
But it's vest to keep blinds or curtains across them till they learn better. Make sure good light birds don't see well in dim light or darkness .

I'm all about getting them out of the cage right away. Good for experience, enrichment, and often easier train , and bond.

This age is also the easier time to work on in home recall flight

OP
Cm81

Cm81

Jan 2, 2022
Parrots
Red lored Amazon
take him on many tours of the home and tap on walls and windows , and repeat .
Young burd are still learning to fly but they quickly learn walls and windows then when they fly they avoid. Even in a panic mine avoid.
But it's vest to keep blinds or curtains across them till they learn better. Make sure good light birds don't see well in dim light or darkness .

I'm all about getting them out of the cage right away. Good for experience, enrichment, and often easier train , and bond.

This age is also the easier time to work on in home recall flight
Thanks for advise will try that πŸ‘

Most Reactions