Needing an Upgrade.

kalphawk

Jul 6, 2018
Tennessee
Parrots
Turquoise Green Cheek Conure (Zazu)
So I have been looking around for a new larger cage for my gcc. I was originally looking at king cages because my boy can get out of his cage through the feed cup doors. The doors on his cage are the ones that just have the metal circle that you have to spin around to open it. However, I found these flight cages https://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=5059+10346+5065+22937&pcatid=22937, and https://www.chewy.com/prevue-pet-products-wrought-iron/dp/133569. Is there a way to permanently close the side doors and then using maybe some tiger eye clips in stainless steel to help keep the front doors closed. I am leaning more towards the one on drfosterandsmith.com since Petco is shutting it down I am thinking they may put the cages on a huge sale the closer it gets to shutdown time. The king cages are very good cages, but I can get him a bigger cage for half the price and since I work full time I want him to have as much room as possible while I am away. Or if there are any other larger cages like the flight cages that maybe have a better locking system on it that ya'll like please feel free to let me know. I just want him to have as much room as possible since he will be stuck in there for the day 4 days a week until I get home from work.

Last edited:

MMARC234

Nov 20, 2018
Louisiana
Parrots
Male Pineapple GCC- Leo * Male Blue Quaker- Bluebell * Male Green Quaker- Avocado
For my guy I have the XL Pervue cage and we both love it! You could possibly zip tie the side doors closed or put perches and toys on the doors to keep them shut (what I do). I found mine on amazon for 159.99 and had it here in 2 days. I got the biggest cage I could for the same reasons. Dang work always keeps us away from our fids. :)

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
Afaik every door can be secured with washers/bolt&nut as wel as a lot of different options (padlocks, mounteneering equipment carabiners / the real deal, not the snap-ons that can damage beaks or worse)

If you really want him to have a lot of room: build an indoor aviary ;)

Will Zazu be alone those 4 days or will there be someone birdsitting?

OP
K

kalphawk

Jul 6, 2018
Tennessee
Parrots
Turquoise Green Cheek Conure (Zazu)
Afaik every door can be secured with washers/bolt&nut as wel as a lot of different options (padlocks, mounteneering equipment carabiners / the real deal, not the snap-ons that can damage beaks or worse)

If you really want him to have a lot of room: build an indoor aviary ;)

Will Zazu be alone those 4 days or will there be someone birdsitting?

I leave from 8-5 those four days and my fiancé is gone 7-3:30. So he is alone during those time and both are during the day. He hate my fiancé with a passion and all my fiancé wants to do it just love him. So someone is ther the last 1.5hrs before I get home then I have 3days in a row off. He is out and with me as soon as I get home till his bedtime and out all day on the 3 days I have off. I wished I could build him and indoor aviary, but I graduated college about a year ago and haven’t been able to buy a home I am still renting a house that is pretty small. We are working twoards our dream home that has an indoor aviary plus everything else for our feathered and fur babies.

Last edited:

Most Reactions