Needing help

adrinori

Nov 1, 2022
Parrots
Ringneck
parrotlets
cocketeil
peachface
My baby ringneck is now 5 months old. When I got him he was sold as a hand raised baby but clearly when I brought him home we realised we had been played but we kept him anyway. He has never been super friendly but now has gotten into biting when I say up for him to step on my finger he has to bite first, he seems to constantly try to bite or fly away.
Is there anything I can do to make him more friendly. I’m always spending time with him and talking to him and praising him when he does good. But still I see no change. I want him to fly to me etc but he only flys to me when I have food lol how do I make him tamer and not a biter any advice would help sorry this is my first ringneck. Btw he is out of his cage all day really.

Attachments

• 2453B087-7E23-48C0-8652-48F2A96F4FF2.jpeg
    2453B087-7E23-48C0-8652-48F2A96F4FF2.jpeg
    48.1 KB · Views: 40

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
What a beautiful baby! I am sorry he’s biting but you’ve won the lottery as far as cuteness.

I’m sure people will jump in with suggestions but I’m going to ask if he only bites when by his cage, or if he bites when he is anywhere?

I would offer a treat when I ask him to step up and eventually when he does step up tell him what a good boy he is and give the treat right away.

Try not to yelp if he bites you but just say “no” and set him down on a chair back or a perch. If he likes to be with you he should figure out that biting makes you go away.

OP
adrinori

adrinori

Nov 1, 2022
Parrots
Ringneck
parrotlets
cocketeil
peachface
What a beautiful baby! I am sorry he’s biting but you’ve won the lottery as far as cuteness.

I’m sure people will jump in with suggestions but I’m going to ask if he only bites when by his cage, or if he bites when he is anywhere?

I would offer a treat when I ask him to step up and eventually when he does step up tell him what a good boy he is and give the treat right away.

Try not to yelp if he bites you but just say “no” and set him down on a chair back or a perch. If he likes to be with you he should figure out that biting makes you go away.
Thankyou I’ll try your suggestions he bites anywhere really normally when he bites I say no and he stops but sometimes he keeps going to bite again and I say stop and give him a gentle blow in his face which seems to distract him lol he just always seems angry and I hate it cus im trying everything but I feel like it’s cus of the previous owner the way he was treated but im going to try everything to win him over and be my bff lol

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Time is your friend. Be consistent in your training, nothing messes parrots up more when training than inconsistent behavior from humans., As you might already know, parrots use their beak as a third hand and often "test" an offered hand or finger to assure its a safe place. Your baby may just not know his own beak strength yet.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Your baby is stunning!
I can't add much to what's been said above, but I will add this think that I found very helpful:

Tips for Bonding and Building Trust

You are doing all the right things...talking to him, spending lots of time with him and praising when he does something you ask.
Patience is key when working with a bird, and it's obvious you have that patience. Sometimes it can take a long time to make progress. When it does finally happen, even a small step, it is the best feeling in the world:)

Most Reactions