Needy African Grey

carrotstick

Dec 19, 2014
Good day all,

My girlfriend and I bought an African Grey one year ago. She started off a bit reluctant and quiet so we warmed up to her and then her personality began to show. The problem we face now is the fact she is extremely needy. We have another parrot as well who does just fine on their own. The moment we walk out of the room she will begin to make noise and crow, or even when we sit on the couch in the same room. When it is her bedtime she will bite on her cage and crawl up and down the door for countless amounts of time. We try to ignore her and only give her attention when she is quiet but after seemingly countless months of trying nothing seems to give!

All she wants is to sit with us and if she isn't she will act up and scream and beg for attention. I understand these are needy birds but after a year of trying she only seems to be getting worse over time.

Please if anyone has any tips or tricks we would appreciate it very much. Our grey is about a year and half old now, has a good sized cage, lots of toys and gets fresh food/pellets every day. She does get let out for many hours a day as well. I just don't know what to do at this point, we would never give her up for adoption because we do love her to bits. It's just when she gets in her begging for attention moods it can absolutely make you go mad!

:rainbow1::yellow2::whiteblue:
We appreciate any thoughts! :cool::22::53::confused:

Mekaisto

Jan 8, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Zookeeper who has worked with many bird species, and owner of a cheeky red-tailed black cockatoo (Ash)
Does she ever play with her toys by herself? Or does she only play with them when you're present?

OP
C

carrotstick

Dec 19, 2014
She definitely plays by herself when she is alone or at times when we are in the room. I also find she almost seems to get mad at her toys and yells at them sometimes lol

mh434

Oct 28, 2014
BC, Canada
Parrots
Yellow-naped Amazon "Sammy"
Love birds (4)
Green-cheeked Conure "Skittles" - now, sadly gone from my life
Blue-Crowned Conure "Tequila"
African Grey "Reno" - sadly, now gone from my life
Our new-to-us CAG ("Reno") has only been with us for a few weeks, but he's REALLY working to get our attention. He certainly is becoming "needy" (and manipulative!).

Last night, when we were out of the room (although he knew we were nearby), he kept saying "Mommy! Want a cookie, Mommy! Can you heeeear me, Mommy? Can you hear me? Are you listening, Mommy? Cookie! I want a COOOOKIE! Can you HEAR me?"...etc.

It's hilarious, and very hard not to LOL. He only stops for a moment, and listens very intently to see if we're responding. If he hears even the slightest sound, he knows we can hear him, and away he goes again.

By the way, he is extremely partial to Arrowroot (baby) biscuits, which he refers to as his cookies. For obvious reasons, we have to control his consumption of them...

Most Reactions

Latest posts