Neglected or Normal ?

Harpytacines

Jun 15, 2022
Parrots
Lovebird
Hi. I recently purchased a Turquoisine parakeet for my gf. She is only partially tame but flighty at 6 weeks but when I got her she looked like this ? Is this normal just growing of feathers ? Or was she neglected or possibly picked on by other birds ? When I initially saw her I was not sure if I should still get her but I really felt about her look and I know feather grows back if so...what do you think it's normal feather growth ? Either way I want to nurture her back to health if so. Never taken care of Turqs before. Thank you.

Attachments

• PXL_20220622_001808262.jpg
    PXL_20220622_001808262.jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 68

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
Something doesn't look right but it's hard placing exactly what. The feathers aren't okay and the baby definitely needs a vet visit.

OP
H

Harpytacines

Jun 15, 2022
Parrots
Lovebird
yah, this seems to be my instinct. So far, the bird is bobibing it's head up and down when hungry, eating, but does not fly as much and stays in one place, but it's only supposedly 6-7 weeks, still feeding it formula and it's starting to eat seeds. I try my best to interact with it and make no sudden movements to scare it, but after a while she calms down and perches on your finger.

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
Chest feathers indicate a lot of uncleanliness and the head feathers indicate plucking. So it's likely multiple things going on.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Chest feathers indicate a lot of uncleanliness and the head feathers indicate plucking. So it's likely multiple things going on.

I think owlet is saying that another bird or birds must have plucked this little one.

Is this bird normally as disheveled as in the photo? I would think that a bird who feels well would appear neater.

I wonder if this bird is getting enough to eat? It’s concerning to hear of the purchase of an unweaned baby.

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
2 female budgies i have a green named tofu she is 1 years old(she turned one years old in April) and i have a blue budgie named sky she is the younger one she is younger then tofu by a few days
I had a bird who looked like this but her condition was a bit worser she looked like this and then when we went to the vet and turned out she had more conditions than we thought so I definitely recommend going to the vet(but our bird sadly passed away) so the earlier the better and take it from me cause you don't wont to lose her, and maybe everything's fine (that she just got plucked by the other birds) but in the same time maybe something really bad could be going on.

Last edited:

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
I've never had or worked with a baby bird, but the affected area right about where the crop is would really worry me.

Crop injuries can be serious, so I agree that a vet visit asap is a good idea.

Most Reactions

Latest posts