so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Now that I am as sure as I can be (without DNA test) that the twins are a male/female pair I need to find a nest box.

Best I have found on line is.
Z-box

I did find a guy on Craigs list that made them out of wood.

If someone knows of plans to make one it might be possible to build it up at my dadā€™s place. Canā€™t do it here no tools/space to do the job.

I donā€™t expect anything to happen this year but I want to have a nest box for them to get use to it.

Noahs_Birds

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Oct 24, 2019
Toowoomba/Highfields, QLD, Australia
Parrots
Yellow Sided GCC's, Rosa Bourkes Parrots, Full Red Fronted Turqoisine Parrots, Quaker Parrots 'Scomo PM' 'Jenny PM's wife', PLUS: Rare Finches, Doves and Quail
I always get nervous around the Metal and PVC nest boxes, in my opinion you cant go past a wooden box as itā€™s a whole lot more better for incubating eggs and young chicks. Iā€™ve heard a lot of horror stories with eggs and young dying from temperature changes and too much humidity in PVC and Steel nesting boxes. With the use of wooden boxes when the birds start to chew the entrance ect it stimulates them and really gets the hormones flowing, and allows developing young to have a more controlled microclimate inside the box.

For Amazonā€™s I would recommend an ā€˜Lā€™ shaped nesting box with a large enough nesting chamber so that if the parents want to, rather than mating outside they can instead mate inside the box (birds mating inside the box is more common than people think!)

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Are you really sure that this is a good idea my friend?

Are you ready to care for the eggs /chicks if the twins reject them? There is a ton of knowledge and equipment that you need to bring into place. Yes, you are fully capable, but are you sure you want to?

Your 'pair' are newbies at this as well, normally Amazons have to practice at this a couple of years before they get it right!

Set the plans for the nest box on the shelf and read into the Breeder Sub-forum to assure that this is really something you want to take-on!

And, yes, wood is best.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
are you actually planning to breed? that is a very complicated issue and very expensive...
I have to second Sailboat here...

Noahs_Birds

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Oct 24, 2019
Toowoomba/Highfields, QLD, Australia
Parrots
Yellow Sided GCC's, Rosa Bourkes Parrots, Full Red Fronted Turqoisine Parrots, Quaker Parrots 'Scomo PM' 'Jenny PM's wife', PLUS: Rare Finches, Doves and Quail
Iā€™d be interested to know Texsize, how do you know that theyā€™re a pair without DNA and when you call them ā€˜The Twinsā€™, are they related? What size aviary/cage are you putting them in? How old are they? How long they have been together for from what age?

Any breeding of larger parrots such as Amazonā€™s takes lots of time, hard work and careful observation. I can tell you a million different stories of how someoneā€™s birds have suddenly snapped and one of the pair is terribly mangled (beaks are broken and ripped off, necks are broken) or worse.....dead. In my opinion with breeding parrots such as Amazonā€™s you have to get it right from the very start as successful pairings and breeding have a lot to do more so with the psychological side of the birds, rather than compared to birds like cockatiels and conures where they basically breed based on seasons and food availability.

Iā€™m not going to discourage you here, breeding any species of bird is a wonderful thing and I always believe that you havenā€™t truly understood birds until youā€™ve bred them (although they always throw plenty of challenges at you!), but in order to successfully breed and produce a top quality next generation you have to get it all right from the beginning

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Not speaking for Wes, but if I recall correctly, he refers to them as 'the Twins' because they look so much like each other.

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Iā€™d be interested to know Texsize, how do you know that theyā€™re a pair without DNA and when you call them ā€˜The Twinsā€™, are they related? What size aviary/cage are you putting them in? How old are they? How long they have been together for from what age?

Any breeding of larger parrots such as Amazonā€™s takes lots of time, hard work and careful observation. I can tell you a million different stories of how someoneā€™s birds have suddenly snapped and one of the pair is terribly mangled (beaks are broken and ripped off, necks are broken) or worse.....dead. In my opinion with breeding parrots such as Amazonā€™s you have to get it right from the very start as successful pairings and breeding have a lot to do more so with the psychological side of the birds, rather than compared to birds like cockatiels and conures where they basically breed based on seasons and food availability.

Iā€™m not going to discourage you here, breeding any species of bird is a wonderful thing and I always believe that you havenā€™t truly understood birds until youā€™ve bred them (although they always throw plenty of challenges at you!), but in order to successfully breed and produce a top quality next generation you have to get it all right from the beginning

The Twins are not related, Luna was a rescue and Merlin was purchased from a breeder.

I think Merlin could be a problem if these two produce any offspring. He is super active and is not always kind to Luna. From everything I have seen of breeding pairs they have there little arguments.
They are both young and I still hope Merlin will settle down in time.

My Previous pair of Amazons (Pacho/Plumas) mated but never produced eggs. + Plumas (male) would not let Pacho (female) come out of the nest box and would get aggressive.

So I understand that it takes close supervision. If it comes down to it I can set up one of my Arlo cameras to watch the nest (in darkness if necessary).

I plan on getting a brooder in case I need to pull the chicks away from the parents. My 2nd clutch of Cockatiels had to be removed from the nest and I was not prepared. The parents started plucking the babies on the head/neck.

BUT I have been unable to beg/barrow or steal a nest box of wood.
and that's why I started this thread. No local store sells anything bigger than Cockatiel sized nest boxes.

It really is a miracle to watch and be a part.

I know Bingo is male (DNA checked) and I know how he acts when hormonal.
Pacho (female Red Lored Amazon) She was not DNA tested but she was on the bottom when she was mating with Plumas. Very familiar with her hormonal behavior.

So short answer is Behavior is telling me they are a male/female couple .
Merlin has been acting out hormonal behavior but only recently have I seen Luna's hormones' showing.
I saw the last piece of the puzzle yesterday when Merlin tried to step up onto Luna and Luna did not object.
Normally Luna squawks about every little touch (like little kids "stop touching me")

Last edited:

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
How exciting to be attempting breeding with this pair!!

Unfortunately I couldn't find any amazon-size nestboxes online. Maybe a DIY project ?? Good luck and let us know how it all goes!

Most Reactions

Latest posts