The Parrrot

Banned
Banned
Aug 22, 2010
Saudi Arabia
Parrots
0.0.1 Congo African Grey
0.0.1 Latino Cockatiel
Now that was just awesome to read let alone experience, amazing story and amazing bird, congrats.

OP
Bobby34231

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
Quincy - Blue Throated Macaw, Skittles and Dusty - Rose Breasted Too's,
Joey - Yellow Crown Amazon, Ashley - CAG
So far so good SB, he's out on my screened in porch, went to get the mail and heard him talking, I was going to go out and check on him, peeked out there first and he was eating so I didn't disturb him :)

AndrewH

Aug 22, 2010
Dayton, OH
Parrots
Both my birds are rehomed rescues. Samantha, Umbrella Cockatoo (HD: 2002)
Lucky, B&G Macaw (HD: 1990-ish?)
It is amazing, since some Amazons can be picky about even allowing their parronts to skritch them.

wildheart

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2010
South Africa
They can be so glad that he did not die in the garage! :( Why is it that people think that animals have less rights than them? Just because they cant talk a human language does not mean that they feel less!:( The only way that I can see this picture is that God must have comforted him knowing that there is a Oom Bobby out there who was going to safe him. I am feeling very teary, please forgive me.

Oom Bobby I cant say congrats I can only say thank you that you listened to your heart. You know I end up with so many iguanas that are simply tossed aside because they are dangerous when not socialized and put their suppose to be owners in hospital. Yet I've never been bitten by one of these because I firmly believe it is the aura that you project that makes an animal either love you, tolerate you or hate you. It is almost like an unconscious decision that we make before we even get to the bird/animal. Or it is maybe the love for them that overwhelms our whole being, our understanding and that we see them as a living-needing being.

Each one is an individual and each case is different but from experience I can tell you that with most it gets worse. Currently Joe is feeling relieved that he was saved. He is going to settle in and then he is going to start remembering. With memories comes anger and sadness and he is going to project those feelings. Aggression, strange behavior, biting, disobedient screaming, possessiveness, insecurity..... possessiveness caused by insecurity. But, these are only symptoms and a person like you will be able to work through them with compassion, understanding and love. The more you project the more Joe will heal. This is the stage where most people fail and just shove the bird/animal to then next owner and to the next and to the next....:(:(:(

Joe touched a part of me that I usually only share with animals, sorry for rumbling on, I dont know why I felt the need to cry with him in public.

michell448

Sep 27, 2010
Illinois
Parrots
TAG (Gabby)
Indian Ring Neck (Kiwi)
B&G Macaw (Petey)
Congrats!! That is a wonderful, call it fate. I am so happy for both of you.

wildheart

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2010
South Africa
Oom Bobby!
gaah.gif
It is VERY-VERY unfair that you keep Joe ALL TO YOURSELF!
Devil-1.gif

You came on here, broke our hearts, had me crying, and then - you disappear - JUST LIKE THAT!
626gdau.gif

please.gif
Keep us updated.
rose.gif

SharonC

May 26, 2010
I missed this thread!!!:eek: Congrats Bobby and Joe!!! Amazons are such lovely birds!!! Please update.....:D

Ladyeclectic

Oct 6, 2010
Central California
Parrots
Green-cheek Conure "Mishka" - Sun conure "Calypso"
See, it's stories like this that make me SO love this board!!

Any updates on Joe's progress since you brought him home? ;)

OP
Bobby34231

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
It's kind of ironic that this thread should be revived today of all days, today was Joe's first bad day he's had since comming to live with me about 3 weeks ago or so, I guess we're all entitled to be grouchy once in awhile but it seems Joe was going out of his way to prove today was his day....lol, as you know Joe is in quarantine and will be for almost another month, but we spend a couple of hours every day keeping each other company and physically interacting, up till now he's really been quite gentle and sweet, but today he actually went after me when I opened the door to his cage, and again when trying to get his food and water bowls, i'm sure Joe found nothing funny in his antics, but I found it quite humorous, running from one side of the top of the cage to the other just trying to ambush me, I suppose you'd have to call Joe for the most part an equal opportunity hater, as so far he hates everyone he's come in contact with since I've had him, me I guess he just tolerates..lol. other than today we seem to have been bonding pretty well, so we'll just have to see what a new day brings tomorrow, no worries though, Joe has found his forever home regardless :)

SharonC

May 26, 2010
Awwww...We're all allowed to be grouchy once in a while. LOL! Glad things have been going well, for the most part!

OP
Bobby34231

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
Thanks Lindsey, you were the first thing that I thought of when I first saw Joe sitting there waiting to be adopted....lol, he's only the second yellow crown that I can remember ever seeing in person, and your the only other person I know owned by one, he has quite a large vocabulary and words like, hi joe, hello, good boy and my favotite and I'm sure one day will be that of all my neighbors....Help!, Help! (can't wait till the sheriffs office responds to a 911 call for a woman being attacked somewhere in the neighborhood) he says loudly and clearly, the rest of his rambling is in a low soft voice, its fun to sit out of his view and listen to him just go on and on, I feel very fortunate that Joe picked me as his guardian, I just hope I can live up to his expectations of me ;)

wildheart

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2010
South Africa
Joe was going out of his way to prove today was his day....lol,

These are horrible days and happens on and off with Sterretjie, it make me very sad.:( I've tried treating her exactly the same on these days and received bites in the face, hands and arms for that. Even her favorite treats did not make a difference. Then I tried giving her some space and that also failed because her off day carried over to the next day and the next day. So through lots of trail and errors, lots of plasters included, I finally found what worked for her. In my mind I see a very confused child, does not want to be touched and dont want me in her space, she wants to be left alone, but, being alone makes her sad, makes her angry and scared, makes her feel rejected all over again. To solve this I've moved a chair by her cage and I just sit there reading out load. I usually try and read things that makes me laugh and it seems as if my mood carries over to her. After a couple of hours (on a good day) she starts approaching me and take the treat that is next to me on the chair. Tomorrow she is back to being friendly (to me only).

Joe found nothing funny in his antics, but I found it quite humorous
That is the ONLY attitude that works for me, although it is hard some times.

so far he hates everyone he's come in contact with since I've had him, me I guess he just tolerates..lol
And it doesnt seem as if that will ever change, no matter how hard anybody tries to win their trust. I wish that the abusers could see HOW MUCH damage they do to these fids. A person who were abused learn to trust again but it seems as if a parrot gets a mental blockage that is unbreakable. :( Oom Bobby I am sure he does not only tolerate you, he sees you as his lifeline and soon he will go over to seeing you as his companion, but you will be the only one.

Joe has found his forever home regardless :)

Good luck Oom Bobby, to me its been an extremely rewarding road.

(Just for interest sake, in case anybody ever ends up with an abused iguana or dragons. Sitting in a steam bathroom with the iguana calms them down and a dragon needs to be held close to the heart and then they become completely calm. Sorry, but what the heart is full of the mouth runs over.:p)

Last edited:
OP
Bobby34231

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
First of all, thanks for the interest and kind words everyone, and thank you Linky for the your insight and inspiration in relation to our troubled little souls, hopefully others in our position may also see that not all of our fids are as perfect as we might want them to be, but just because their not doesn't mean they don't desreve our love and support ;)

On a brighter note, it's a new day and Joe's back to his (loveable?) ways, I guess no one will ever understand why our fids act the way they do, but hey, maybe thats what makes life so interesting being owned by them :09:

cnyguy

Apr 23, 2010
Syracuse, NY
Parrots
Quaker parrot, Ralph
Glad to hear that things are going well for you and Joe, aside from the odd grouchy day. :)

It's true that you don't run across that many Yellow-crowns. I was fortunate enough to share 40 years of my life with one (George, who passed away in February of this year at roughly 70 years of age), and I know how wonderful and special they are.

All the best to you and Joe, and to all the other YCAs (and their parronts) out there!

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
First of all, thanks for the interest and kind words everyone, and thank you Linky for the your insight and inspiration in relation to our troubled little souls, hopefully others in our position may also see that not all of our fids are as perfect as we might want them to be, but just because their not doesn't mean they don't desreve our love and support ;)

On a brighter note, it's a new day and Joe's back to his (loveable?) ways, I guess no one will ever understand why our fids act the way they do, but hey, maybe thats what makes life so interesting being owned by them :09:

Want to know something Bobby, we all have good and bad days, sometimes in a good mood, sometimes not. I'm sure our fid's go through exactly the same motions as we do.
Joe is so lucky to have you as a guardian, understand his ways, and accepting him for what is is.
;)

bogo1

Jun 22, 2010
Media
Albums
Missouri
Parrots
Sam (GCC)
Gem (CBC)
Merry and Teechka (parakeets)
and non FIDS:
Harvey and Jed (dogs) Jolte and Churney (cats) Twister and Mac (horses) Nikolas and Aleksndr (ducks )
I simply sit and smile when I read about you and Joe and think back to how he chose you to save him. You are the best person I can think of to take on such a battered fellow. I had a bit of a shudder when you mentioned him screaming help in a female voice...wonder what that poor guy has seen. Thank heavens he has you now.

Most Reactions