New Addition

Stephaniex

Sep 6, 2018
New Zealand
IMG_20180906_154704.jpg

Introducing the new member of my family, they are quite a thrill to be around! I'm very happy to them join our family.

We don't have a name yet, currently waiting for dna sexing results. We currently love the names Ducky and Petrie because I've always wanted to name a pet after a land before time character, sweet name suits the little guy so well.

(Ignore the mess, he loves shredding paper)

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
What a cutie!! And great name selections....I grew up with Land before Time so I am a fan of the names.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Hello, and welcome to the Parrot Forums family! We're looking forward to hearing more about the new addition to your household. (Including whichever name you finally settle upon!) Hope you'll share some pics of little Ducky/Petrie when you get the chance.

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
Awe, adorable! Is this a Rainbow, or a Red-Collard? I love these guys, and I've been reading-up on the different species, which can be really confusing...There's a "Blue Mountain" that looks like a Rainbow, or is a Rainbow, I don't know, lol. I went through the other day and saw so many different species that look like Rainbow Lories but that aren't, my head was spinning...All I know is that I'm going to have some type of Rainbow Lorie some day soon!

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Welcome!

What a charismatic little baby! Just beautiful. I think there's a mischievous expression, kinda like getting getting ready in advance for denying misbehavior... "I didn't do it!"

Rozalka

May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
Lovely!

Awe, adorable! Is this a Rainbow, or a Red-Collard? I love these guys, and I've been reading-up on the different species, which can be really confusing...There's a "Blue Mountain" that looks like a Rainbow, or is a Rainbow, I don't know, lol. I went through the other day and saw so many different species that look like Rainbow Lories but that aren't, my head was spinning...All I know is that I'm going to have some type of Rainbow Lorie some day soon!
Rainbow lorikeets have a green-yellowish nape, red collared - orange nape. For me this is the easiest method:)

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
Lovely!

Rainbow lorikeets have a green-yellowish nape, red collared - orange nape. For me this is the easiest method:)

Yeah, I think I've got that one down...But what is an "Blue Mountain" Lorie?

Rozalka

May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
Lovely!

I googled this name and this is an other name of Swainson's lorikeet (a subspecies of the rainbow lorikeet)

Last edited:
OP
S

Stephaniex

Sep 6, 2018
New Zealand

They are a olive red collared parakeet. :) The others available were regular red collared, so they had blue heads. He is only about 10-11 weeks old, I am told the colouring on his body will change a bit.

I specifically wanted him because the majority of people (non lorry enthusiasts) when they hear lorikeet or lories, they think the rainbow lorikeet's. Which are beautiful. I wanted to give the others a spotlight.

Last edited:
OP
S

Stephaniex

Sep 6, 2018
New Zealand
Welcome!

What a charismatic little baby! Just beautiful. I think there's a mischievous expression, kinda like getting getting ready in advance for denying misbehavior... "I didn't do it!"

A little bit, my dog Lexie is self appointed mother hen who is adorably interested in everything birdy does. But equally freaks out when she thinks they are being unsafe. (Such as climbing upside down in the cage, she sits at the cage staring at them and whines) they seem to keep doing it for Lexie's attention.

Unfortunately to be expected they are a bit shy of my hands so I've taken to feed a tiny bit of homemade jam from my finger every morning.

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Lovely!

I googled this name and this is an other name of Swainson's lorikeet (a subspecies of the rainbow lorikeet)

Okay, so the "Blue Mountain" and the "Swainson's" are the same thing, which is a subspecies of the Rainbow Lorikeet? Got it. Thank you for that explanation, because I was going crazy trying to figure out what the differences were between a "Rainbow" Lorikeet and a "Blue Mountain" Lorikeet and a "Swainson's" Lorikeet; I couldn't find any written explanation online, and the Google Image search only confused me more because they all looked exactly the same.

I will have some type of Rainbow or Red-Collared Lorikeet sometime soon; I've been wanting one for years and years, and have never once come across one for sale or re-homing anywhere near me. There are no breeders anywhere near me, but I've found a few breeders who hand-raise babies in surrounding states like Ohio and New Jersey, so hopefully I'll find a hand-raised baby soon. They have such awesome personalities and are so much fun to interact with! I don't think my Green Cheek is going to be amused, but he'll just have to get over it :D

Most Reactions

Latest posts