New additions!

NicoleN

Jan 15, 2007
Media
Michigan
Parrots
Sisqo & GiGi-DYH & BF Amazons

Snow & Blue-Budgies
My sister went to PetSmart today (ugh) and came back with two parakeets for my niece. My 18 month old niece! Anyway, even though they are from PetSmart and have probably been malnourished their whole little birdie lives, I'm glad their with us now because at least I will be able to take care of them.

The problem though, is that I don't know what kind of Parakeets they are. I haven't seen them yet and I plan on taking some pics ASAP and putting them up here. I'm also checking out some info. on parakeets and such, but if anyone here has Parakeets and can tell me about them too, that'd be awesome.

All the girl at PetSmart told my sister and mom was that they were 'really rare' (code for 'I have no idea what kind these are') and that they are 6 months old.

I'll post pics tomorrow hopefully!

Birdiebabi

Feb 11, 2007
Media
USA
Parrots
5 budgies
Oh brother!

My PetSmart isn't that bad, everybird is on a good diet and feeds them veggies and nuts. It's Petco I have to worry about.The feed all the birds are on a 100% millet diet, even the larger birds. The cocketiels look horrible!

Well, I wouldn't be surprised if your "rare parakeet" wasn't actually as rare as she thought!

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
As I have said before, you can't really put a BLANKET STATEMENT down for all the BIG PET STORES (PetCo, PetSmart, PetQuarters ... etc.) I got Hamlet from a PetCo and he was really healthy, and being well fed ... the only complaint that I had with them is that his nails were a bit too long ...

~ Tex

meghanxx4

Feb 1, 2007
Media
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
|Cockatiels:Tara and Shylo|
Budgies:Fresca and Domino|
Senegal Parrot: Kayto|
hmm well the only parakeet ive has was a budgie... and if you consider a tiel one then them aswell....alot of birds that most people probably wouldnt consider a being parakeet are.. like conures are... parakeets have long tails...

Birdiebabi

Feb 11, 2007
Media
USA
Parrots
5 budgies
hmm well the only parakeet ive has was a budgie... and if you consider a tiel one then them aswell....alot of birds that most people probably wouldnt consider a being parakeet are.. like conures are... parakeets have long tails...

Actually there are a lot of different parakeets, but you hear parakeet mostly for budgies, which is pretty much incorrect.

If you've seen indian ringnecks, those are parakeets (they are indian ringnecked parakeets! :D)

meghanxx4

Feb 1, 2007
Media
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
|Cockatiels:Tara and Shylo|
Budgies:Fresca and Domino|
Senegal Parrot: Kayto|
Actually there are a lot of different parakeets, but you hear parakeet mostly for budgies, which is pretty much incorrect.

If you've seen indian ringnecks, those are parakeets (they are indian ringnecked parakeets! :D)

i realize that... ive researched ringnecks before... same with alexandrines and that whole family... all the birds with long tails are parakeets( or most any way i think) i think read somewhere once that parakeet means long tail i dunno i might of just like thaught that read it and really made it up lol

OP
NicoleN

NicoleN

Jan 15, 2007
Media
Michigan
Parrots

Snow & Blue-Budgies
I finally got a look at them when I got home last night and I noticed that one of them has a long tail, and the other doesn't. Interesting.

And I don't want to offend anyone here, but I think I'm going to have a hard time liking these little guys. I'm so used to Sisqo and how easygoing he is. These guys are a little too jumpy for me. Sisqo plays and that, but he doesn't all of a sudden jump from the top of one side of the cage to the other. Whoa! It freaks me out! And they're so small...like, tiny. Guess I'm just used to a bigger bird.

Can you really teach these little guys to step up? I'm afraid to take them out of their cage in case they fly all around the house.

OP
NicoleN

NicoleN

Jan 15, 2007
Media
Michigan
Parrots

Snow & Blue-Budgies
OH yeah.. and another thing!

Had a major scare/disaster this morning :(

Woke up today, did the normal routine...dogs out, dogs in, feed dogs. Feed Sisqo, give meds, feed cats, clean litter box (eww) and then I remembered the little ones. Walked into the living room and OH MY GOD....Their cage was tipped over!! :eek: The blanket they were covered with was on the floor, the door was open and one of them was gone! I started freaking out, I instinctively check the cat's mouths and find no birdie feathers sticking to it (and anyway I'm sure that if a cat eats a bird there really are no feathers left behind). So I think there may be some hope. I ended up finding the bird mixed up in the blanket that fell off their cage. I am 100% sure the cat knocked over their cage sometime during the night. :mad:

So it was their first night home and already they had a near death experience...this is not looking too good.

Another reason I like Sisqo...the cats know he's the boss and not to mess with him ;)

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006

Well all my little ones are parakeets. But the Lineolated are parakeets with small tails. We've had this discussion before about parakeets having long tails, and I'm not quite sure why the Linnies are small tailed. I'm still trying to find that out. :confused: Maybe before us humans started messing with them.

I'm not even gonna go there with the larger pet stores :mad: I would end up getting on my high horse. :D

I'm wondering if your "Rare Parakeets" turn out to be Bourkes, thats exactly what a pet store tried to tell me a while ago and that you don't see many around. (I have two :D )

I look forward to seeing the pics.

OMG what a scare to face first thing in the morning.

Tracy842

Super Moderator
Jan 12, 2007
Media
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Popsicle the Senegal Parrot &
Pepsi the Mealy Amazon
AHHH Nicole that would have scared the you know what out of me if I had of seen that. My cat don't bother with my birds at all (as you can see the pictures of them togther)

Can't wait to see pictures of them.

I think with the big pet stores they are different from store to store, but I still don't trust them. I guess it depends on the management running the store.

What does Sisqo think of them???

Well can't wait to see pictures!!!

OP
NicoleN

NicoleN

Jan 15, 2007
Media
Michigan
Parrots

Snow & Blue-Budgies
I'm waiting until my sister takes them to the vet before I introduce them. He can see their cage from where he is, so I'm sure he heard them yesterday and it piqued his interest.

The cats don't bother with Sisqo b/c they know he's the boss. The one that probably knocked over their cage wouldn't actually hurt them, he's just curious. But the other cat would probably gobble them right up.

I'll try to get pics as soon as I can

OP
NicoleN

NicoleN

Jan 15, 2007
Media
Michigan
Parrots

Snow & Blue-Budgies
I've given up on trying to hand tame the budgie's. I work with them and am going slowly, so they trust me and aren't afraid of hands and such, and then I see my sister and my niece just stick their hands in the cage and chase them around it to try and get them to come out. I tried explaining to them why that wasn't the best thing to do, and they don't seem to really care. So I give up, they're her birds anyway.

I feel bad for the poor little guys though, stuck in their cage, and then the only time they are out, they fly all around the house and my mom, dad, and sis chase them while my niece just laughs b/c she thinks it's the funniest thing in the world.

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
That is such a shame, if only they would listen to you then they could have some lovely handleable birds that would give your Niece so many hours of pure pleasure. :( Trouble is we can only offer our advise and hope that it is taken.

Most Reactions

Latest posts