New Adventures

Jenv1990

May 2, 2020
Media
Albums
Montana
Parrots
GCC Mango
We took Mango on a ride in the car yesterday. We needed to pick something up from a friend who live an hour away so it was a long ride; we live in Montana :) She is 9 weeks old and seemed a little nervous at first but then loved looking out the window from my shoulder as my husband drove. We brought her carrier for when we had to open the door and some treats and water;It felt like when my daughter was young lol. As you see in the picture I brought a towel in case of accidents and there was only one hehe otherwise she went in her carrier. What a fun day for us all. She went from my shoulder to my hubby's shoulder to look out of both windows. I stayed in the car with her while my hubby socialized a bit because I didn't want Mango to get to overwhelmed with new people and new adventures.
Is there anything I should be aware of when riding in the car with a GCC? I think I thought of everything and of course I would never leave her unattended in a car and no open windows.

OP
J

Jenv1990

May 2, 2020
Media
Albums
Montana
Parrots
GCC Mango
Here is the picture I forgot 20200507_143225.jpg can't get it turned lol

DeviPrasad

May 8, 2020
Hi, I'm new to the parrot forum portal. I'm not getting how to post my query.
can anyone please help me on it.

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
Looks like a great time was had by all of you - sounds like you thought of everything. Containment, food, water, towel, windows....all good :). It’s actually good to have them used to cars, and not have car rides always end at the vet’s office.

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel

birdiemama

May 11, 2020
Las Vegas
Parrots
Doobie, a Pineapple Green Cheek Conure baby about 6 weeks old (on May 11, 2020)
How fun. Years ago I had a conure that used to like to sit on the steering wheel. It was fun to watch him run to the top when making a turn. He loved it. Good that you're being careful especially if wings not clipped.

Squeekmouse

May 31, 2017
Illinois
Parrots
Yoda, Green Cheek Conure - Trigger, Congo African Grey
My Yoda gets car-sick every time we take him in the car. The only way he doesn't get sick is if he is tucked away in my hair on my shoulder. But then my husband thought about wht might happen if we were in a car accident and a window was broken/open as a result. Yoda is fully flighted and if he got spooked and flew away we'd be heart-broken. So we try to minimize having him outside of his carrier even in the car. That's about the only other thing you might consider. Maybe your little fella isn't flighted or maybe it doesn't matter so much considering your not driving through busy city streets. :)

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
She is young enough for you to get started on harness training. (I waited too long and my Sunny has Not accepted a harness. So I take her everywhere in a her Petsfit backpack-style carrier.) If you are going to have her anywhere ever outside your house & not inside a carrier, you really should get her harness trained.

Most Reactions

Latest posts