New African Grey

artis

Feb 19, 2018
Parrots
Congo African Grey
Hello everyone.
This is my first post here, so please excuse me if I ask stupid questions, I got my African Grey 3 days ago and I am overly excited :).
There are some things that got me worried already.

So some introduction. I am a software engineer from Bulgaria and I was dreaming of having an African Grey for the last 3 years. I did a lot of researched and visited a lot of birds on display in pet shops. My girlfriend and I took our time to research as much as we possibly could. Our highest priority was to find the bird that we "click" and 3 days ago we did "click" with a bird. A Congo African Grey in a pet shop, 1 year and 5 days old with a closed ring (at least it looks like its closed). The staff told us to be careful as he doesn't usually allow strangers to touch him/her. However, he really liked us and came on his own free will to us and allowed us to touch him by bowing to us. A bit later we realized we spend 3 hours in the shop making silly sounds and playing with him and we realized this is our bird, we couldn't resist and arranged him to be moved to our apartment on the next day.

Now to my questions.

Feathers. His feathers seemed a bit less colorful compared to other birds and he plucked nearly half of his tail feathers, but the staff explained that however hard they tried to keep him out of stress there are occasions where children or other people would scare him or be too direct which caused him some stress and that caused a bit of plucking. Also, his tail feathers look a bit damaged and "dirty" as he hit them in the cage walls when flapping his wings. They assured me that with the right diet and stress-free environment he will restore the feathers and he will be ok. Everything else with the bird seems fine. He eats, drinks and is very playful, often dancing on his own in the cage and occasionally being a bit too loud :). I have read a lot of posts people using Nekton Bio and recommend it for feather damage repair. What do you guys think?

Behavior. He is really moody, but I guess that's normal. With every day he becomes more sociable and likes dancing to music. On the second day, he was really craving attention even though we were giving him plenty, we spent the whole weekend with him but didn't let him out of the cage as the staff from the pet shop recommended for the first week or two. However on the second day became very excited and clearly wanted out of the cage as he was trying to open the doors. I decided to cross the recommendation and opened the cage. Gently slided my hand inside and he was totally OK with that. He came to me and allowed me to touch him and give him a neck scratch. I tried to offer my hand to step up but he put only one leg and started gently biting my finger, but later on, he bit me a bit harder and decided to give him his space. I left the cage open and allowed him to get out on his own pace, not rushing anything. And he did. He went out in the next couple of minutes and tried to climb down on the other walls of the cage, but the cage is built in a way preventing anything to climb up or down from the outside and he had a very hard time. So I decided to help him. As he was sitting on the cage door, I gently detached it and slowly lower it to the ground. He stepped on the floor and that's when everything went wrong. He suddenly became worried as if he was walking on ice, really slowly and fearfully, he made a few steps and then he went crazy and panicked. He tried to fly and started flapping his wings and then I realised he cant fly.... He was more like gliding on the floor and started hitting chair legs, furniture and doors. He tried to climb to his cage but he couldn't as I mentioned the cage prevents it. I helped him out and he went back in, but he was shaking, clearly breathing quickly and stepping on 1 leg, he refused to communicate or come to me any more. Now it seems our great connection is broken... He doesn't come to me as he did before...

Talking. The staff at the store said he knew a few words, but I never heard them at home. He mumbles, but I am just throwing a wild guess what and if he is really talking or its just my imagination. Not sure if the mumbling means that he will ever talk or he could just leave his talking there. Any ideas?

It became a bit longer post than expected, but I guess I am overly excited and at the same time worried because of these things. Any ideas? How should I approach him? How much time should I leave the cage closed with no attempts of bringing him out? Or should I leave it open and not touch no matter what? What should I do about his feathers?

Thanks for reading, any comments and advice will be highly appreciated.

Last edited:

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
Welcome! You have a young grey who is overwhelmed at the changes in his surroundings. Move at his pace. If he wants scratches, give him scratches. If he backs away, give him space. And so on. Greys are very intelligent and vocal. I talk to my grey whenever i am around. He will call to me and I’ll answer, don’t worry I’m here. In time he will be accustomed and begin exploring. Lots of good food (very little seed) and interaction and he will blossom. Please go to the African grey forum and read all the posts on training, behavior, and health that you can. Congratulations! With time and work your grey will become a member of the family!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
A

artis

Feb 19, 2018
Parrots
Congo African Grey
Thank you for the fast reply. I will surely read the posts. That's all I do lately when I am not arround the Grey.

I have read that it is best to get a young Grey as the bonding is much easier but no one specifies what a "young" Grey means. Is my 1 year old bird considered young enough or is it outside of the "perfect" bonding age?

Also do you have opinion on Nekton Bio additive? Is it safe to just buy one bottle or should it be prescribed by a vet?

Again, many thanks for the support!

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
Hello. Yes indeed your grey is very young. You will bond don’t worry. Patience and read the threads on bite pressure training. My grey has done so well with this. I also know his body language and can avoid bites. I’ve never had a hard bite from my cag.

I am not sure of the product you mentioned. My grey doesn’t like anything added to his water. I feed him better than myself i think!!!!

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Welcome! You are off to such a great start and you are doing so many things right!

Yes your grey is very young but even an old parrot can bond tightly to a new family; the age thing is a myth when it comes to bonding ;)

Many birds panic when placed on the floor, and this is just the first of what will be many setbacks on your journey. It’s a long process; things will go wrong and that’s ok.

Don’t add any supplements for feather repair; he will grow new feathers and hopefully leave them alone. Later I’ll try to find my general break down of what to do with a plucker but browsing the forum is a great way to learn how to counteract plucking by eliminating the bird’s desire to pluck.

Some of his moodiness with PROBABLY leave as he learns to trust you and his health improves (I have no doubt he will be healthier with you than in the store), and the rest is just parrotness :)

He will talk more as he grows comfortable with his new home, and he will probably learn new words and sounds from you.

If I were you I would leave the cage open any time you are able to supervise him. If he wants to come out, you can bring him out; if he doesn’t, just give him space. Don’t be afraid to use bribes!

OP
A

artis

Feb 19, 2018
Parrots
Congo African Grey
Thank you very much. I am much less worried already. The only thing that still bothers me is his inability to fly. I suspect he was never let out of the cage in the shop and maybe he was never thought to fly by the breeder. Is there anything I can do for him? I was thinking maybe some exercise when the time is right and he learns to sit on my hand. Maybe moving my arm up and down while he is standing on it to provoke him to flap his wings and exercise his muscles? Or is there something else I could do to address this issue?

Just to add his wings are not clipped and the guy in the store said he was never clipped so that reason is ruled out.

Thanks!

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
I wouldn’t try to exercise him on your arm as that may make him feel he can’t trust your arm at this point. I would say to wait to address the flight issue until you are all more comfortable together. In the mean time, done take him outside as if he CAN’T fly because he may get spooked and fly off, surprising even himself.

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
Yes just go slowly. African greys are shyer by nature than other medium to large parrots. Once he feels comfortable he will begin flapping and trying to fly.

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
Hello, Welcome & Congratulations!

You’ve gotten some excellent advice thus far.

Think of it as you just adopted a young child and treat him with, kindness, respect and understanding. He is in a strange place, w/ strange people, strange smells and he is frightened and confused. Give him space to adapt & figure things out.

Here are a couple of great links to get you started.

http://www.parrotforums.com/general-parrot-information/49144-tips-bonding-building-trust.html

http://www.parrotforums.com/congo-timneh-greys/59366-cag-101-a.html

Best of luck to you all. :heart:

And pictures please.

bigfellasdad

Sep 21, 2017
Media
NorthWest England
Parrots
Enzo - adopted Female CAG circa 2004. A truly amazing young lady!
Awesome, a new parrot owner :)

As mentioned, parrots don't like to be low, they are prey not predators! Let him get used to his surroundings and let him take things at his pace is what id suggest. Trust can take time to build and moments to lose. Try and make sure he is kept in a busy part of the house if possible and try and make sure he gets plenty of sleep, 10-12hrs a day if possible.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Welcome and be welcomed. You are getting very good advice from some experienced parrot owners. I will just add one thing. Be consistent. Parrots thrive on that, if they know when breakfast is, if they know when its time to come out of the cage, when its time for dinner. Be consistent in how you train him, what signals you give, how you reward him. THis is a long journey for both of you, Greys can live upwards of 60+ years, there is no rush to do anything.

OP
A

artis

Feb 19, 2018
Parrots
Congo African Grey
Thank you all for the welcoming me and all the useful posts. I definately benefited from all the replies and it is greatly appreciated.

As you mentioned feeding. The guy from the petshop told me to just keep his food bowl full and he will go there from time to time to grab a bite and actually he does. Every now and then climbs down, takes 1 piece and climbs back up to eat it.

Do you suggest to keep the bowl empty and give him food on particular schedule and a particular dose, or should I keep filling his bowl with food and let him decide when he wants to grab a bite?

Thanks again to everyone!

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
I always have something in Nigel’s bowl but i give him fresh foods twice a day. In the morning he eats best so i fill his dish with chopped vegetables and a couple of fruits (not too many fruits). Pellets are better than seed to leave in the dish all day.

Also just a personal opinion here but greys are very dusty so i shower (mist him til he’s soaked) twice a week. Cuts down on the dust and helps with itchiness when molting.

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
PS no avocado, onions, or chocolate. I also avoid giving him the seeds in fruits as some (like apple seeds) can be bad for them.

OP
A

artis

Feb 19, 2018
Parrots
Congo African Grey
Thanks for the advice. I forgot to mention 1 thing. From the "floor" accident I think he broke/bent a main feather on his left wing. When he sits still 1 of the darker feathers is constantly misplaced and pointing away from the wing as if it is broken or heavily bent. What should I do about it?

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
Personally i would leave it if it isn’t bleeding or hindering him. It will fall out on its own. If it seems painful I’d probably take him to vet or groomer to remove. The less stress the better.

OP
A

artis

Feb 19, 2018
Parrots
Congo African Grey
Hi guys. Thanks for all advices. Yesterday I opened the cage again and let him do whatever he wanted (under supervision). He went out of the cage and climbed on top (its a flat top cage). He seemed to have attempted to fly so I stood up, placed my hand horizontally like a perch and said "come here". He was overly excited and seemed like he is trying to fly towards me, but didn't have enough courage to do it, so I quit after the third attempt. After a while he tried to fly off on his own but couldn't do it and landed on the floor again. Almost the same behaviour as last time, he got really worried and was afraid of even walking arround. Me and my girlfriend sat on the floor a few steps away from him and gently talked to him, whistled and gave him some treats. He gradually calmed down a bit and I tried to ask him to step up (followed a few guides how to do it) and he almost did, but decided not to at the end. Finally I used the cage door as a perch, he stepped on it and I returned it to the top of the cage. He instantly became very friendly and started bowing. We took the opportunity and scratched his neck. He seemed like he never enjoyed anything else in his life so much. He was over the top and constantly wanted us to touch him which was fantastic, we were very happy. He even didnt want to go back in the cage. It took us 30 minutes to do it the gentle way. He is really smart and despite my attempts to lure him in he always outsmarted me, well except the last one :D. At the end he went in, but was a bit disappointed and started whistling a bit louder as he wants out again.

He is much friendlier to us after that and I feel it was a real progress for all of us. Thank you very much for the advice and the encouragement. With all the help from you I felt the erge to share this moment with you in this post.

Thank you!

Last edited:
OP
A

artis

Feb 19, 2018
Parrots
Congo African Grey
Any advice on stepping up? Am I doing it wrong or is it that he still doesn't fully trust me? Should I try pushing my finger under his feet and lift him up or is it absolutely necessary to wait for him to do it on his own?

Most Reactions

Latest posts