New and question for my new canary winged parakeet

hammy_711

Sep 16, 2021
Parrots
canary winged parakeet
Hi!

I just brought home my new canary winged parakeet (named Coco). He came from a pet store that had him only about a week, but said he was hand fed and about 7 months old. The girl at the store was able to pet him and get him to perch on her finger, so that was a good sign. He's been home with me in his cage for 3 days and he's pretty afraid of me. When I walk towards him, he moves as far away as he can. I've tried to offer him spray millet through the bars of his cage, but he is not interested. Is it just that he's scared and needs time or is there another treat that would be more appealing for training? I know I need to be patient, but I want to make sure I'm using the right incentives. Thanks in advance!
--Sarah

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome Sarah and Coco, thanks for joining! You're in very early days of adaptation, often lasts 4 to 6 weeks or longer. Coco's responses to a new home absolutely typical and expected. You can enhance the transition by actively building trust and bonding: https://www.parrotforums.com/threads/tips-for-bonding-and-building-trust.49144/

Spray millet a hugely popular treat. Other high-value items are bits of almond, walnut, pine nuts, (expensive) specialty foods such as NutriBerries. Be patient and reward success, don't dwell too deeply on setbacks.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Ditto to Scott's response. I had a Canary Wing years ago. I loved that little guy so much!
They are one of few species of parrots that will actively seek out human interaction in the wild, so if you follow Scotts advice and proceed slowly, keeping mind that TRUST is the main thing that gets and keeps parrots human friendly, you will golden. CW's were in the past the most imported parrot into the USA, called BeeBee parrots, Pocket Parrots and other cutesy names. Ours was friendly with all 5 members of the family. They are active parrots, loving small toys and playthings and they are absolutely fearless once they are acclimated. Mine beat up a big cockatoo one time. They have a macaw's spirit in a tiny body.

OP
H

hammy_711

Sep 16, 2021
Parrots
canary winged parakeet
Thanks for all the advice! Should I just keep talking to him for now? He backs away when I step towards him so do I need to wait until he doesn't do that anymore to proceed?

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
congratulations on your new bird !
Bribes are a great way to make friends. Give a single seed treat every time you go say hi, so like 50 times a day!! Or share other food tidbits, a pinch of apple, a crumb of bread.
Birds like routine , use the same phrases, explain stuff to them.
Hopefully you will start gaining trust

OP
H

hammy_711

Sep 16, 2021
Parrots
canary winged parakeet
So Coco like to be petted, but he isn't interested in any of the treats I've tried to give him. I've tried spray millet, crunch sticks, yogurt covered sunflower seeds, cantaloupe, etc. but he couldn't care less. Even if I just put them in his cage and walk away, he won't eat them. How do I train him if he's not food motivated? I want to teach him to step up. I can pet his head and back while he's standing on his cage but when I try to put my hand under him, he tried to bite me. I'm not sure what to do if treats don't work, how do I get him to bond with me?

Henderbird

Apr 7, 2022
Canada
Parrots
Munchkin the Sun Conure!
So Coco like to be petted, but he isn't interested in any of the treats I've tried to give him. I've tried spray millet, crunch sticks, yogurt covered sunflower seeds, cantaloupe, etc. but he couldn't care less. Even if I just put them in his cage and walk away, he won't eat them. How do I train him if he's not food motivated? I want to teach him to step up. I can pet his head and back while he's standing on his cage but when I try to put my hand under him, he tried to bite me. I'm not sure what to do if treats don't work, how do I get him to bond with me?
I think it’s all in the kind of food you present to him!
High value is key to winning their hearts!
Maybe other treats will work well like oat spray or pine nuts as mentioned above!
If it’s not high value to them, chances are it’s going to be a flop :(

Most Reactions