New Baby Sun Conure! Introduction & Looking for Helpful Tips.

SammysMommy

Mar 2, 2018
Canada
Parrots
Sun Conure named Sammy
Hey guys,
My name is Jess and I got my baby Sun Conure, Sammy, about a week ago. I've done a lot of research on this little guy, and I would like to make sure I'm on the right track so I can give him the best upbringing I can.

Sammy is 9 weeks old and hand fed with formula. I have started introducing fruits to him such as mango, apple, and banana as well as some pellet/seed mix and so far he likes it. He is still dependent on formula 3 times a day, and I and have been planning on trying to wean him off of it when he is 11 weeks.

We have a great bond already, he is totally fearless, and he LOVES to cuddle and play. I have him out of his cage most of the day where he likes to play on his perch, but his favourites are to cuddle, nibble, and fly around the room to play with me.

Any tips on sun conures or baby birds in general would be appreciated! I have done hours of research, but I really love to learn about his species, and what to expect when raising a baby bird.

:rainbow1::orange::green1:

Attachments

• 28755147_2086935048006396_15513691_o.jpg
    28755147_2086935048006396_15513691_o.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 1,594
  • 28643331_2086935061339728_619708243_o.jpg
    28643331_2086935061339728_619708243_o.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 304
  • 28694046_2086932714673296_116858439_o.jpg
    28694046_2086932714673296_116858439_o.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 505
  • 28584401_2084823121550922_2070671729_o.jpg
    28584401_2084823121550922_2070671729_o.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 318
  • 28694363_2086935064673061_328132954_o.jpg
    28694363_2086935064673061_328132954_o.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 352

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Here's more good reading for you!

I'll add a tip, from my heart to yours... just love him, totally and gratefully... seems like you already do, in fact, so I predict great things for you two.

I've had the Rb since he was three months old. You'll grow very close.

I'm glad you're here.

Squeekmouse

May 31, 2017
Illinois
Parrots
Yoda, Green Cheek Conure - Trigger, Congo African Grey
1. Potty training IS possible, just don't get upset when he has accidents. There's lots of good posts on how to potty train. In short, learn to recognize when he is about to poop (taking a couple steps back, raising his tail up and leaning forward are typical). When you see this, if you hurry you can put him on a perch where it is OK to poop and say a command phrase (Go Poop! Bombs Away! etc). He'll generally poop every 15 minutes so you can time it also. Be patient, it will take time.

2. Make sure he gets plenty of sleep, 10 hours MINIMUM, 11-12 is ideal.

3. Avoid touching his back or his tail.

4. Learn to make your own toys, it's fun, cheap and Sammy will LOVE having the variety.

5. Most importantly, love him and treasure every moment. :)

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.
Welcome to the forums!!!! :D

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
ditto everything said above

What I would suggest for weaning is instead of putting a time scale on when you want to do it let them decide when they're done. Just keep offering until it's being refused all the time. you'll have a far happier parrot doing that

Carl_Power

Oct 3, 2017
England
Parrots
Quaker Parrot
Also try and just feed him pellets and not seeds. Pellets are the healthiest diet and seeds are not as healthy and are fatty but you can use seeds as treats x

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Beautiful sunnie you a have there with a good foundation for a lifetime of love. I suggest letting him self wean from formula to pellets and fruits and veggies. Keep the seeds as treats and training materials. He will eventually refuse formula feedings gradually, from eating a lot to tapering off to just a taste or so to totally uninterested in it. Thats when he is weaned. You may want to offer formula every few months or so, just so he stays in the habit of accepting food like that ( in case you need to administer medicine).

Try setting a specific time EVERY DAY, for the 2 of you to interact and maybe teach him some tricks. Not long so 20 mins, but every day at the same time. You will be amazed at the progress you'll make and how much he will look forward to these sessions.

OP
S

SammysMommy

Mar 2, 2018
Canada
Parrots
Sun Conure named Sammy
Awesome advice :)
He's been loving the variety of fruits and veggies I have introduced him to. He also snacks on his pellet mix all through the day!

I have him out of his cage almost all day for him to perch, play or just sit with me, but he's in his cage for bedtime around 8pm until mornimg at 8am-9am. He's already making AMAZING progress with potty training and he will step up onto me or fly over when I call him.

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Great looking sun baby you have! They are just adorable.

There are two types of weaning -- abundance weaning and force weaning. Force weaning is eliminating all formula at a specific date in time (11 weeks, example) and abundance weaning is letting the baby wean on his own terms.

My suggestion is to keep offering him formula until he refuses it. The idea is, you want to end up cutting out the middle feeding first, making sure he's eating other stuff at that time, and then formula at the beginning of the day and end. Eventually you will be able to cut out the bedtime feeding and just have the morning feeding. And eventually after that he should be eating on his own and refuse the formula altogether.

So continue to offer him as much variety as you can in his diet of foods -- pellets, seeds, fruits, veggies (ideally less fruits, as they have a lot of sugar, and more veggies, great nutrients).

Training do work on at this point -- bite-pressure training, step-up, flight recall, harness training (if you intend to take him outside, do it on a harness, its like a dog leash). You can teach these guys all kinds of tricks.

Be sure to bathe him -- either take him in the shower and get a perch for the side of the shower or you can mist him daily/weekly with some clean water. Make sure he gets sunlight. That's all I can think of for now :)

OP
S

SammysMommy

Mar 2, 2018
Canada
Parrots
Sun Conure named Sammy

There are two types of weaning -- abundance weaning and force weaning. Force weaning is eliminating all formula at a specific date in time (11 weeks, example) and abundance weaning is letting the baby wean on his own terms.

My suggestion is to keep offering him formula until he refuses it. The idea is, you want to end up cutting out the middle feeding first, making sure he's eating other stuff at that time, and then formula at the beginning of the day and end. Eventually you will be able to cut out the bedtime feeding and just have the morning feeding. And eventually after that he should be eating on his own and refuse the formula altogether.

So continue to offer him as much variety as you can in his diet of foods -- pellets, seeds, fruits, veggies (ideally less fruits, as they have a lot of sugar, and more veggies, great nutrients).

Training do work on at this point -- bite-pressure training, step-up, flight recall, harness training (if you intend to take him outside, do it on a harness, its like a dog leash). You can teach these guys all kinds of tricks.

Be sure to bathe him -- either take him in the shower and get a perch for the side of the shower or you can mist him daily/weekly with some clean water. Make sure he gets sunlight. That's all I can think of for now :)
Thank you for the helpful response!

My biggest concern as if now if the bathing process actually :( He gets very upset when any water is near him. I have tried the sink, the shower, a small basin in his room, and a spray bottle. I have even tried putting a bowl of warm water in his cage to see if he will get comfortable with the idea and try it on his own. My last resort is standing in the shower with him because he seems to feel more comfortable when I show him that new things are not a threat. The spray bottle was another good way, but I just feel so sad watching him freak out like that :(

Sunnyclover

Jan 11, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Sun Conure - Ollie- Hatched 08/18/16*

Nanday Conure -Finley- Hatched 10/07/17*

Turquoise Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Paris- Hatched 03/03/18*

Black Capped Conure -North- Hatched 10/10/18
ohhh how I remember when Ollie was a speckled green and yellow fluff face. You sound like you're on the right track so far. I think what Lordtriggs said about abundance weaning is the way to go. My nanday came to me and had a regression of sorts and had to go back on formula and that's how I did it and it worked well and he didn't loose any weight that way which is common when weaning. When they loose weight while being weaned it's a time where they are more easily able to get sick which is best to avoid. Potty training is great! It took me like 1 hour to train my Sun Conure and 10 mins to train my Nanday, my 5 month old Nanday has yet to have an accident on me and only a couple on the floor but only after being frightened and flying off his treestand and he pooped upon unexpected impact. My Sun hasn't pooped on my in about 4 months, about every 4 months give or take he'll get distracted and fire one off in a non poopy area and seems very embarrassed afterwards. Parrots are a wonderful and amazing and should be treated with love and respect! It sounds like you're in tune with that already.

Sunnyclover

Jan 11, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Sun Conure - Ollie- Hatched 08/18/16*

Nanday Conure -Finley- Hatched 10/07/17*

Turquoise Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Paris- Hatched 03/03/18*

Black Capped Conure -North- Hatched 10/10/18

My biggest concern as if now if the bathing process actually :( He gets very upset when any water is near him. I have tried the sink, the shower, a small basin in his room, and a spray bottle. I have even tried putting a bowl of warm water in his cage to see if he will get comfortable with the idea and try it on his own. My last resort is standing in the shower with him because he seems to feel more comfortable when I show him that new things are not a threat. The spray bottle was another good way, but I just feel so sad watching him freak out like that :(
I take both of mine in the shower and neither one loved it at 1st but now they like it and Ollie even loves it. He looks like he's having a birdgasm in the shower. Just keep taking him in and he'll get better with it. Mine shower with me every day! I like to put my hand shower on them on low and let it drip gently on them as I complete my ablutions. Make sure and not use any heavily scented soaps or shampoo and don't get it on them. My vet said unscented shampoo is not necessary as long as it's not a super strong smell. I use soap and shampoo with essential oil smells or no smell.

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us

then have him join you when you have a shower :D it's how my conure showered, he never bothered much with bowls and basins but a hop on my shoulder whilst I was having a rinse was a nice time for him

Most Reactions

Latest posts