New baby to the family, questions, names etc. Birthmark? Brown Headed parrot

Lynsey

Jul 30, 2014
Parrots
Fonzie - White Capped Pionus (male) - Hatched 5/24/14
Betty - Brown Headed Parrot (female) - Hatched 12/15/22
So I bought this baby Brown Headed Parrot. I'm already in love. He/she was born 12/15 so not quite ready to come home yet. Still on one feeding a day, but eating pellets and fruit etc. Hopefully soon. Getting DNA sexed, should have results in the next week or so. It's so sweet and calm. The other sibling is a bit skittish and not as calm. It was love at first sight. I have a White Capped Pionus that I got from the same place about 8 years ago. So the Pi will have a buddy...hopefully. Anyway, looking for names?!? They are calling it Cheeks, or Cheeky you can see why from the pic. Gonna do a vet visit right away when the baby comes home, but should I be worried that the yellow cheek is something related to liver? or just a cute birthmark? hope it stays, but will love it either way. I don't think this looks like anything liver especially at this age, but just being paranoid.

Attachments

• c3ac4e3c-4178-4c84-8c4a-a8a10677b394.jpg
    c3ac4e3c-4178-4c84-8c4a-a8a10677b394.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 100
  • b6f6a6fe-05ad-4428-8e16-7f40ff9fba26.jpg
    b6f6a6fe-05ad-4428-8e16-7f40ff9fba26.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 88

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
So I bought this baby Brown Headed Parrot. I'm already in love. He/she was born 12/15 so not quite ready to come home yet. Still on one feeding a day, but eating pellets and fruit etc. Hopefully soon. Getting DNA sexed, should have results in the next week or so. It's so sweet and calm. The other sibling is a bit skittish and not as calm. It was love at first sight. I have a White Capped Pionus that I got from the same place about 8 years ago. So the Pi will have a buddy...hopefully. Anyway, looking for names?!? They are calling it Cheeks, or Cheeky you can see why from the pic. Gonna do a vet visit right away when the baby comes home, but should I be worried that the yellow cheek is something related to liver? or just a cute birthmark? hope it stays, but will love it either way. I don't think this looks like anything liver especially at this age, but just being paranoid.
Oh what a beautiful baby! Welcome to the flock sweet little Cheeks - I hope you decide to keep the name regardless :)

Not sure if the yellow is anything liver related to be honest, praying that it isn't, but a good avian vet should be able to run a blood test to make sure.

I hope your little sweetheart gets the all-clear, he (or she!) is just the most adorable little thing! ❤️

OP
Lynsey

Lynsey

Jul 30, 2014
Parrots
Thanks! I plan on getting the full panel of bloodwork and disease testing right away. I that should clear things up. I sorta doubt it is liver related, but still want to be sure.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Thanks! I plan on getting the full panel of bloodwork and disease testing right away. I that should clear things up. I sorta doubt it is liver related, but still want to be sure.
You're most welcome, and I wish you all the very best!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Congratulations ! How gorgeous and fascinating! A rare addition, will so enjoy hearing all about this one!

The link below makes mention of this rare coloration. So I think this will be normal but special. Perhaps linked with hybridization in the past. As this article notes it can happen in the wild and in captivity.
Or perhaps Niam Niam cross in its distant past? Don't know how likely that is . But at least I learned if a new species

Perhaps Crypto as a name

Last edited:
OP
Lynsey

Lynsey

Jul 30, 2014
Parrots
Congratulations ! How gorgeous and fascinating! A rare addition, will so enjoy hearing all about this one!

The link below makes mention of this rare coloration. So I think this will be normal but special. Perhaps linked with hybridization in the past. As this article notes it can happen in the wild and in captivity.
Or perhaps Niam Niam cross in its distant past? Don't know how likely that is . But at least I learned if a new species

Perhaps Crypto as a name

OMG Thanks for this! Interesting read. Makes me feel so much better. I think it really is a mutation cuz it's feathers just look perfect otherwise. I would think if it was liver at this age it would not look so healthy and lively. I really hope it is just that, and not something more, but will take to the vet just to check for everything anyway. It's so cute. I should find out the gender next week. The sibling looks like a normal BHP. It is a bit more skiddish. This one just steps up and wants to explore. Doesn't really seem scared or nervous so far. I am sorta into the chill birds that aren't so common if you haven't noticed. I was pretty stoked when I found my WC Pionus. I love him. I often check the store where I got him to see what new ones they got. When I saw the BHP I could't resist.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I agree that baby looks very bright eyed and healthy! So I'm pretty sure it will just be kissed by the sun on that cheek.

I'll try and think on some names just because I love playing with names.

Hope you post lots of pictures and updates! Plus need some of your WC

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
ALBA= sunrise in Italian

Zuri. An African-Swahili origin name that means 'beautiful.' 98. Zarene. A Persian name meaning 'golden vessel.' ...

Xiwen – Xiwen is a moniker composed of several Chinese characters, including ones that mean “sunshine” and “hope.

Last edited:
OP
Lynsey

Lynsey

Jul 30, 2014
Parrots
So I named her Betty. Look at this little girl posing for the vet!

Attachments

• ed79c150-27a2-467d-a6c9-a05fb78069e6.jpg
    ed79c150-27a2-467d-a6c9-a05fb78069e6.jpg
    491.4 KB · Views: 72

Most Reactions

Latest posts