New behavior?

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
I tried letting Sammy out today, but she just kept strutting around the top of her cage doing this weird thing; I wasn’t sure if it meant she was going to try to fly off or if it was something else so I put her back up for now.

I’ve seen Kirby do the little crouch-like-he’s-gonna-take-off thing, but this seems…not similar haha. She’s too low to take off from that pose and also she kept biting the cage bars. Is this her come-hither look?!

I was worried at first that she’d try to take off and land on me but then I more closely examined her and that’s…not the right pose lol. Our local parrot store has a yellow nape I met before adopting Sammy who is being rehomed because he uh, launches off his cage and attacks people so I’m a little paranoid about it.

OP
ravvlet

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
I sent the video to her previous owner and she said she was mocking me ? I mean, I admit I laughed, but what?? Lol!

Now if she could just stop yelling nonstop regardless if I’m in the room or not…

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
It could be begging, like a baby asking for feeding.
It could be (as you stated) her come hither body language.
I don’t think it’s the “launch warning “.
could be simple excitement.

OP
ravvlet

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
I think you are both right, she’s just really, REALLY excited to be out of the cage and wants attention. She’s calmed down a lot this evening and I’ve been able to pet and interact with her more.

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
2021 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
✻Csillam the rescued budgie
✻Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
✻Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
✻RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
How adoooorable she is....

I don't know anything about amazon body language sadly, but she does seem quite calm and maybe just trying to get your attention. I mean... if you give positive feedback and actual attention when she does it, very likely she will do it again just to amuse you :D

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I dunno about happy or excited, Salty does that for a minute or so just prior to putting on his harness during our nightly training sessions. He dislikes putting it on, a lot, and only does it after much cajoling and requests. He will run around on the training surface with the middle top of his beak touching it. 'Boats may know better what this means, but to me its not a positive action.

OP
ravvlet

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
I dunno about happy or excited, Salty does that for a minute or so just prior to putting on his harness during our nightly training sessions. He dislikes putting it on, a lot, and only does it after much cajoling and requests. He will run around on the training surface with the middle top of his beak touching it. 'Boats may know better what this means, but to me its not a positive action.
Oh. That’s not good. Augh. So confusing. She did it right after I let her out of her cage, she’d climb around the top and do it a few times then go back to climbing. She does it inside her cage too sometimes when she wants attention; she’ll lay flat out on a perch with her wings down.

OP
ravvlet

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
She does this almost every time I walk up to her cage now- and then usually comes over to ask for pets, so I don’t think she’s mad? Here it is again inside her cage!

Sorry for the commentary LOL.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Looks like my Female RLA.
it’s a good I think.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
She does this almost every time I walk up to her cage now- and then usually comes over to ask for pets, so I don’t think she’s mad? Here it is again inside her cage!

Sorry for the commentary LOL.

View attachment 39373
That looks like a begging posture to me. As in, “pick me up” or “pay attention to me!”

My Meyers parrot does something like that when I go by his cage and he wants to come out.

OP
ravvlet

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
I know when Kirby does it it means he wants pets or to be let out of his cage, it was just throwing me off that she was doing it once I let her out? Maybe she just wanted attention. My partner flies back today and I will finally have my second parrot handler in the flesh, lol, so we can work with her a bit more. I also called the parrot store and we’re are going to see if we can get her her very own special playstand for my partner’s office since she seems to get lonely during the day, and has NO INTEREST in our other parrot (which is…actually totally fine).

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
The wonderful part of Amazons is that they use a fairly common base Body Language (hardwired) and add they own segments as they mature.

It's time to read with understanding the Sticky Thread at the top of Amazon Forum. The communication appears more happy to see you. But although very near the end of Hormonal Seasons for most Amazons in the Northern Hemisphere, one needs to aways verity while approaching.

Amazons Have More Fun!!
'Messing with their Human's'

Last edited:
OP
ravvlet

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
E5578AA9-E829-4A4D-965E-72B552A6380A.jpeg

Being inscrutable and majestic on the playstand.

Well, she was really good for my partner, lol! She has been stepping up beautifully onto dowel perches today (something she would not do before) so she got some parrot “cookies” (something our local parrot store carries?) and I tried offering walnuts, but she hated them. (I gave Kirby a small piece though, so he wouldn’t be jealous, and he loved it - it’s too bad he isn’t supposed to have them, poor guy!)

I shoulda bought more than one kind of nut, I’ll remedy that tomorrow to see what she likes so we have treats on hand.

Also, my partner agrees that Sammy wants MY attention when I’m in the room, so we’re going to work on me reading that better and not being afraid to interact with her. She asked me for pets and my partner tried giving her a piece of walnut instead and she gently but firmly bit her finger. She’s very good about bite pressure. I know it’s probably silly but I just feel more confident with a second adult in the room in case something unexpected happens; I’ll have someone there to entertain or distract her so I can take a minute to compose myself.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
The times I've had someone who knows parrots watching my interactions have been really helpful, even just to better observe what I could do better, so I think it's dandy you're working with your partner on this.

She does look quite regal on that stand :)

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
I tried letting Sammy out today, but she just kept strutting around the top of her cage doing this weird thing; I wasn’t sure if it meant she was going to try to fly off or if it was something else so I put her back up for now.

View attachment 39297

I’ve seen Kirby do the little crouch-like-he’s-gonna-take-off thing, but this seems…not similar haha. She’s too low to take off from that pose and also she kept biting the cage bars. Is this her come-hither look?!

I was worried at first that she’d try to take off and land on me but then I more closely examined her and that’s…not the right pose lol. Our local parrot store has a yellow nape I met before adopting Sammy who is being rehomed because he uh, launches off his cage and attacks people so I’m a little paranoid about it.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
That's an obvious sign of female zon behavior. She considers you her mate. It's a submissive action. Does she flip her wings if you touch her back or neck?

Most Reactions

Latest posts