New Behavior

eeblum

Nov 9, 2022
Parrots
senegal
Callie, (female) our Senegal of over 25 years has just started a new but perplexing behavior. She will go to her cup of Pretty Bird, and, instead of eating will spend the day grinding the pellets into an almost fine powder. She has been eating
Pretty Bird as part of her diet now for many years. She has a large cage, gets daily attention and a whole host of other foods and treats to keep her happy. Her last vet visit gave a clean bill of health, albeit a tad overweight. Does anyone have any idea of what this behavior is all about??

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Why one's Parrot elects to turn pellets into dust has much the same answer as to why they enjoy turning any number of things in to tiny bits. If you Parrot drinks prior to, during or after, it is likely an issue of needing moisture as part of the dry food offering and the joy of making mush! Even if it is a tiny bit.

Sadly, the only way to tell if your Parrot is or is not eating some of the Pellet dust is to weigh it. What you provide to what you clean-up. Personally, I would not waste the time as you are never going to collect it all and its a lot of work with little knowledge gained.

IMHO, sounds like she is playing with her food.

OP
E

eeblum

Nov 9, 2022
Parrots
senegal
lol, I was thinking the same thing. Just a new behavior to keep an eye on. Thanks for the reply! She also likes to take her food to the water cup to immerse before eating

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
lol, I was thinking the same thing. Just a new behavior to keep an eye on. Thanks for the reply! She also likes to take her food to the water cup to immerse before eating

That brings a big smile to my face!! Our DYH Amazon (Julio) loves to make soup as well!!

Most Reactions